History of Timberline?
4 posts
3 users
2k+ views
eggraid
December 16, 2013
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

I have enjoyed hearing about some of the history in the 'glades' thread about T Line, and I realize I don't know much about Timberlines past. When did it open? Who 'founded' it? Has it switched hands? I've heard Snowshoe has gone bankrupt in the past, has T Line gone through anything like that?

JohnL
December 16, 2013
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

eggraid wrote:

I have enjoyed hearing about some of the history in the 'glades' thread about T Line, and I realize I don't know much about Timberlines past. When did it open? Who 'founded' it? Has it switched hands? I've heard Snowshoe has gone bankrupt in the past, has T Line gone through anything like that?

PDF Link of History of WV Skiing

eggraid
December 16, 2013
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Thanks for that resource, very interesting read.

Voila
December 16, 2013
Member since 12/17/2011 🔗
352 posts

Yes... good reading...

In case you missed it though, Timberline is still owned by Doc, his sister, and his sister's son (Fred). One interesting fact that I have learned along the years is that Fred saw a great opportunity with Canaan Valley (and the great number of skiers), so Fred really jumped the gun when he saw Timberline for sale. Basically, the resort is still family owned, where Fred is essentially taking over little by little. 

Doc is still very much involved, but slightly less than he used to. 

On a different subject, Timberline can't be compared to many ski areas with 1000 feet vertical - because Timberline is rather steep from top to bottom (no long run offs like you will most often find at Snowshoe). The tree skiing (for the more advanced) is really remarkable at Timberline. Surely, it's not for everyone, but eventually... every one loves it and wants to make it better. 

Enjoy!

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.