Massanutten Jan. 10-12, Women's Clinic and other fun
14 posts
3 users
3k+ views
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 20, 2013 (edited November 22, 2013)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

I am looking for women, and their family and friends, who would like to check out Massanutten Jan. 10-12.  Massanutten Snowsports is offering a special Women's Clinic on Sunday, Jan. 12, with the possibility of a special Intermediate Clinic as well.  The Women's Clinic is for any ability level, ages 12 and up.  I'll be skiing at Mnut all three days, hopefully with old and new friends.  People can come for a day, two, or make it a long weekend.  Please pass on to anyone you think might be interested.

All clinics will be $30 for 2 hours. Instructors will be PSIA Level 2 or 3.

Sunday, Jan. 12, 9:30-11:30: Women's Clinic
Sunday, Jan. 12, 1:00-3:00: Intermediate Clinic, if >2 interested

Beginners, intermediates, and advanced skiers will find that Mnut has good terrain for learning new skills or honing fundamental skills that translate well to other ski areas, whether big or small.

The vertical  at Massanutten is 1070 feet, about the same as Blue Knob and Blue Mountain, and more than any other PA ski areas.  The two black runs off Lift 6 (quad with no lift line) are about 825 feet.  Timberline is 980, CV 740, Snowshoe 1480, Seven Springs 750.  Mnut is 14 miles off I-81, on US33 near Harrisonburg, no mountain driving required, about 2.5 hours from DC.

For an introduction to Mnut, check out this DCSki article from 2010 by Matthew Graham:

http://www.dcski.com/articles/1246

A trip report I did in Jan. 2013:

http://www.dcski.com/forum/70066#new

EpicSki Unofficial Guide

http://www.epicski.com/a/massanutten-an-unofficial-guide

For those who don't know me . . . I am not an employee of Mnut.  I am an older mother and timeshare owner who was lucky to discover the place a year before my daughter was old enough for ski school.  She loved Slopesliders and the waterpark.  Became a season pass holder in 2009 after checking other ski areas within 4 hours driving distance of Raleigh.  Intend to keep skiing at Mnut for years to come.

wgo
November 20, 2013 (edited November 20, 2013)
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

I'll pass this info along to my wife and see if she is interested.

By the way, just purchased M'nut season passes for the family (me, wife, 2 kids). See you on the slopes!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 20, 2013
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

I'll pass this info along to my wife and see if she is interested.

By the way, just purchased M'nut season passes for the family (me, wife, 2 kids). See you on the slopes!

Thanks!

Will you be at Mnut mostly on weekends?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 21, 2013
3,246 posts

Found out today that Freestyle of Charlottesville plans to have a demo tent at Massanutten on Jan. 11-12.  Last year they had quite a good selection to check out.  Not just skis for the Mid-A.  I found several all-mountain skis for advanced skiers in short lengths to try from Nordica, K2, Rossi, and a couple other brands.  I'm 5'0", 118 lbs so need skis 150-160cm.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 7, 2013
3,246 posts

Freestyle of Charlottesville will have their free demo tent set up at Massanutten Sat-Sun, Jan. 11-12 from 9:00-3:00.  Last season there was a good selection of all-mountain skis from Rossi, K2, Nordica, and a few other brands. Most were skis that would be good out west or in the northeast as well as in the Mid-Atlantic.  Last time the tent was at the base of Lift 6, so easy to test out skis without waiting in a lift line once at the top.  Most likely the Mid-Mountain Grill will be open for lunch.  That's a fundraiser done by parents for the ski/board teams.

The Massanutten ski school is offering special 2-hour clinics. A great deal at $30.
Sunday, Jan. 12, 9:30-11:30: Women's Clinic, ages 12 and up
Sunday, Jan. 12, 1:00-3:00: Intermediate Clinic, ages 12 and up

For skiers over 50, the regular Silver Clinic is Sundays, 1:00-3:00.  Since the instructor is Level 3, even advanced skiers can learn a lot.

If you have a group of 4 or more and want to stay at the resort for Friday and Satruday nights, there is a lodging special being offered that includes lift tickets.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 16, 2013
3,246 posts

List of brands that Freestyle plans to bring include Blizzard, Rossi, K2, Head, Scott, Nordica, and Dynastar.  Be really fun if MakAttack is open by then.  Possible since Paradice is already open.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 26, 2013
3,246 posts

Massanutten has everything back open that lost snow during the heat wave.  Looking good for the weekend of Jan. 9-12.  I'll be around starting Jan. 7 if anyone decides to ski mid-week.  Might meet a friend at Wintergreen on Jan. 8.

Freestyle of Charlottesville is also bringing Volkl RTM for the demo days.

HardcoreLooper
December 29, 2013
Member since 11/27/2013 🔗
24 posts

Mnut was looking pretty decent yesterday.  Upper MAKAttack and Mass Transit were still closed, as well as a few of the cross trails.  But everything that was open was in very nice shape and my daughter and I had a great day.  Plenty of cover except at the very edges.  But it's raining here in Richmond today, and it looks like they're getting some rain up there as well.  Hopefully things will cool off again soon.

wgo
December 29, 2013
1,666 posts

Was there with my wife and two kids on Friday evening. Conditions were good (although I still think the best conditions of the season so far were over Thanksgiving weekend!). We will probably be there next friday and hope to have the kids do Slope Sliders.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 29, 2013
3,246 posts

HardcoreLooper wrote:

Mnut was looking pretty decent yesterday.  Upper MAKAttack and Mass Transit were still closed, as well as a few of the cross trails.  But everything that was open was in very nice shape and my daughter and I had a great day.  Plenty of cover except at the very edges.  But it's raining here in Richmond today, and it looks like they're getting some rain up there as well.  Hopefully things will cool off again soon.

Hoping that Mnut can get MAKAttack and Mass Transit open by Jan. 11.  Would be nice to have the option of checking out demo skis off Lift 5 as well as Lift 6.

Looks like it should be cold enough for snowmaking almost every night in the next week.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 3, 2014
3,246 posts

Massanutten has started blowing snow on Mass Transit and Yee Ha.  Those trails provide a connector from Lift 5 to Lift 6, which means advanced skiers get an alternative way to get to the top instead of just the long beginner lift, Lift 4 (above Southern Comfort).  Hopefully those will be open by Jan. 10 with all the cold weather coming up.

wgo
January 8, 2014
1,666 posts

100% open, per the Mnut website.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 8, 2014
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

100% open, per the Mnut website.

Got to Mnut last night.  Skied at Wintergreen today with a friend.  Pretty nice over there although did get somewhat skied off by mid-afternoon.  Looking forward to Mnut slopes tomorrow morning before another Silver Clinic in the afternoon.

Hopefully the rain will hold off until late afternoon on Sat.  Sun should be a decent day.  There is plenty of base after the last few weeks of cold snowmaking weather, so temps in the low 50's won't be a problem.  Here is the list of skis that Freestyle plans to bring to the Massanutten Demo Days Jan. 11-12.

• Blizzard Bonafide & Brahma
  • Volkl RTM 81, RTM 84, Kendo
  • Rossignol Experience 83, Experience 88, Soul 7
  • Head Rev 80 Pro, Rev 85 Pro, Supershape Magnum
  • Scott Reverse, Crusade, The Ski
  • K2 Rictor 90 XTI, Amp 80 XTI
  • Blizzard Black Pearl
  • Nordica Wild Belle
  • Volkl Yumi, Charisma
  • Scott Luna
  • Rossignol Temptation 82, Temptation 88
  • K2 Superific, Superglide

By the way, the special Intermediate Clinic will definitely happen: 1:00-3:00 for $30 with a Level 2 or 3 instructor.  So far, two people interested for sure.  The Women's Clinic in the morning may have more than one group, based mostly on ability.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 13, 2014
3,246 posts

Sunday was a great day for the special clinics.  Massanutten had a couple of their best instructors for the Women's Clinic in the morning and the Intermediate Clinic in the afternoon.  The four women were split into two groups in the morning based on ability.  Hopefully Mnut will consider doing a Sunday Women's Clinic again in the future.

Plenty of skis were demo'd on Sunday.  Not many people around Saturday morning with the threat of rain, although it was fine until 11:30.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.