Outstanding Skiing at Wintergreen this AM
8 posts
4 users
2k+ views
skier219
March 14, 2013
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I have to say, it was a real surprise for mid March, but knowing their grooming and knowing it was going down into the 12-15F range last night, I put my hardpack carvers in the car just in case. Good call -- it was firm fast impeccably groomed corduroy to start, and the snow stayed in great shape well past lunchtime. Some of the best carving of the season. I switched to some softer skis in the afternoon and had a little fun tooling around the whole mountain on one of my last days for the season.

Here's a clip I shot early in the morning, just holding my iPhone in my hand on the way down Upper Cliffhanger and Devil's Elbow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHR2I-F_1vI

Sadly, Sunday is their last regular day of the year, though they hope to reopen the weekend of March 23-24, and maybe a bonus Saturday on March 30.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 14, 2013
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
It is great having you back on DCSki! What is the AP you were using to take the video?
The Colonel
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 14, 2013
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
About five weeks ago this guy was right about lots more good skiing at Wintergreen, made his prediction on cliffhanger too wink :
skier219
March 14, 2013
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Originally Posted By: The Colonel
It is great having you back on DCSki! What is the AP you were using to take the video?
The Colonel

Morgan, that was recorded with Theodolite. Do you have an iPhone? (or iPad?). I can get you a coupon for the app.

Good to be back, though I don't know for how long -- I have a crunch coming on at work, we'll be moving soon, and a new baby on the way. I may have to change my screen name to skier000 for a while....
skier219
March 14, 2013
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Originally Posted By: JimK
About five weeks ago this guy was right about lots more good skiing at Wintergreen, made his prediction on cliffhanger too wink :

Tell you what, Wintergreen got off to a slow start and I didn't get my first day in there until the beginning of January. Then it seemed like every other week was rainy/warm for most of that month. But February-March was pretty strong. I lost track of how many days I put in at Wintergreen, but I basically crammed a normal Dec-March season there into about 8 weeks.

Seems like up until 6-7 years ago I could start skiing Wintergreen in early December and stop in late March, a full four months. Some years they were 100% open by Christmas. Hasn't been that way for a while though. This year I suspect they will close on Sunday with near 100% of the terrain available.
wgo
March 15, 2013
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Excellent,

Heading out there this afternoon with my son. Hoping for next Saturday with the family as well.
wgo
March 17, 2013
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Snow somewhat soft, of course, but still really nice. Looking forward to the finale next weekend.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 17, 2013
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Wintergreen just announced they will be open tomorrow, Monday due to snowstorm expected tonight!
The Colonel
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?