Weather reports
8 posts
5 users
1k+ views
Tucker
March 31, 2012
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
I am a bit of a mess now that Lesher's site is no longer going. Anyone know of a site or resource that would report snowfall/rain amounts for previous days here in the valley/davis?
JohnL
March 31, 2012
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I know I'd be willing to act as a Venture Capitalist and keep one confused snowboarder (or is it tele dabbler?) in beers at Timbers for meteorological reporting. Hint, hint. wink
fishnski
March 31, 2012
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Originally Posted By: Tucker
I am a bit of a mess now that Lesher's site is no longer going. Anyone know of a site or resource that would report snowfall/rain amounts for previous days here in the valley/davis?

Sounds like ur the man!
chaga
April 2, 2012
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts
here is a good precip gauge/station that is in davis down the water treatment plant road. just go to site id: WV99 on the pull down. you can show hourly data too. doesn't measure snow.
http://nadp.sws.uiuc.edu/siteOps/ppt/default.aspx

it got hit by lightning a few weeks ago, but should be back online real soon i was told.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 2, 2012
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I rely on Chip's daily reports on Whitegrass.com. They are honest. What more do you need?
fishnski
April 2, 2012
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Keeping a record..a daily report from Whitegrass is great but to archive everything to compare later on down the road for us and future dcskiers is priceless.

I have the book that Dave lesher put together on the climate of Canaan Valley. You can go back in time before records were kept to read pieces of folks diaries which are extremly interesting but the steady stream of daily and yearly recorded data (starting in 1944) is most important.
chaga
April 3, 2012
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts
Apparently the NWS is looking for someone to take over as a coop observer in the valley. Tucker this is all you. Jonjon is in davis and we all know they get less snow smile

Not sure what the actual deal is with dave lesher going awol. hopefully someone can corner him in the post office or grocery store one day and get the lowdown.

NWS Coop Program
JohnL
April 3, 2012
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
I rely on Chip's daily reports on Whitegrass.com. They are honest. What more do you need?

Fair question. But Chip had a prominent link on the WG reports page, so he also saw some value in Dave Lester's site.

Some reasons I'll give:
- Detailed new snowfall and base depth measurements updated very early in the AM (useful enough for planning a predawn jaunt out to the Valley from NOVA.) How often does Chip measure at the snow stake?
- As mentioned, previous days measurements. Often the valley gets 3-4 inches at at time for a week straight. Cumulative numbers add up
- Canaan Heights is fairly high up (Dave's location), so it gives a pretty good indication of what happened mid mountain up, versus at the base. (Any locals want to contradict that?)

Chip will tell you how things are skiing. Dave will tell you the numbers. If you've used his numbers, I think you get a better picture of how things are skiing. Just IMHO.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?