4 users
6k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 11, 2011
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Super Sunday at Bryce Resort
By Jim Kenney

If you or friends and family enjoy intermediate skiing and riding, or want to improve your skills from beginner status, then Bryce Resort in northern Virginia is an excellent crowd-beating option that you must check-out only 90 miles from the Capital Beltway via I66 and I81. I took family members to Bryce on Super Bowl Sunday, February 6, 2011. It was a beautiful sunny day and unbelievably uncrowded. Is uncrowded a word? I'm not sure, but on the slopes of Bryce it is a way of life even on many weekends.

Cousins

I have skied Bryce on and off since the 1960s. It has eight trails, 500' vertical drop, and two double chairs. What keeps bringing me back is that this ski hill is the absolute best close-in venue to take a group of learners and intermediates seeking elbow room on the slopes. The drive from the DC area is just a few minutes longer than "the busy places", the prices are a little lower, and the crowds are way less. Plus, the mountain is extremely well run with a comprehensive, modern snowmaking system. The terrain is most suitable for novices and intermediates, but a few of the runs have enough pitch to keep an advanced skier entertained as evidenced by Bryce's highly regarded racing and teaching tradition. All these factors make for a superior experience for snowriders looking to work on their game or just chill on the slopes (no pun intended).

Practicing the "Texas Tuck"

Bryce survived the recent rains in good shape. Trail surfaces were soft, forgiving and fun. Sunday lift lines never exceeded five or ten PEOPLE! We took turns exploring each of eight distinctive runs. The novices in my group loved Red Eye which is the easiest route from the top as it sweeps around the looker's left side of the ski layout. My favorite is the short, but steep and narrow Hangover trail. Another trail with good continuous pitch is Bootlegger, which is often set up with gates for racing events. There is even one exceptionally wide trail called Locher Bowl after the family that has managed Bryce ski area for decades.

Hangover trail

Super Bowl Sunday is known to be a good mid-winter day to visit US ski areas as many folks hunker down at home to watch the big game, but the private club/light-traffic atmosphere at Bryce is something else all together and characteristic of all my visits there in recent years. This mountain is most definitely open to the public and the resort's infrastructure is well established with a lodge complex, rental equipment, and full service snowsports school. There is a very benign beginner area with three magic carpet lifts aimed at teaching young children. At the base there is also a popular tubing park. Somewhat unusual for the region, there is a runway just a few hundred yards from the slopes serving small private planes. We saw a number of them taking off during the day.

Bryce Resort has low crowds, great snowmaking, and beautiful Blue Ridge Mountain vistas

Bryce Resort offers many four seasons attractions and has numerous nearby vacation rental properties that probably host more visitors in summer than winter. Next time you are wavering about whether to go skiing on a prime weekend because you don't want to hassle with crowds, think Bryce. If your group includes novices and intermediates they'll have a super time.
tskski
February 12, 2011
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts
Have to agree with you Jim. Bryce is great for a day trip. I skied there last year on a weekday. Wasn't sure if they were open when I first arrived; didn't see anyone skiing down the trails. The empty lift chairs moving up the mountain were the only sign they were open. Skied all morning never waiting at the lift and never saw anyone as I skied down the mountain. There were only a handful of people there. As I left at lunch people were beginning to trickle in.
skiobsessed
February 13, 2011
Member since 03/10/2008 🔗
80 posts
Bryce is the place that got me hooked on skiing! It was 4 years ago when I came upon this little resort in VA and was surprised to find out how fun skiing could be. We chilled in the lodge right in front of the big fireplace and watched the racers from different ski clubs come in to talk about their day. Great times!

As always, thanks for the report Jim!
scootertig
February 14, 2011
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
I can't help but say that I think Bryce is wayyyyyy overpriced for the product they offer. I haven't actually snow-skied there, so I may be missing something, but in my trips there to grass ski in the summers, I think "we should definitely try to get out here for a day this winter," and then I see the lift ticket prices, and think "for 8 trails? no thanks."

I'd definitely pay ~$40-$45 to ski there for a day, but $59/adult for weekend rates? Can't bring myself to do it..

aaron

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.