Canaan Valley Resort Snow Reports?
8 posts
5 users
5k+ views
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 7, 2010
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Did anyone ski at Canaan Valley Resort today (Thursday, January 7)? If so, were all the runs open as today's snow report states?

My adult daughter and I ventured out to Canaan yesterday ... quite an adventure getting there, and a great day on the mountain. As everyone's been saying, there's plenty of untracked snow on the runs. The forests are gorgeous with all the snow-covered trees.

That's the good news. The disappointment was that CV was reporting nearly all runs open: 100% easiest, 94% more difficult, and 86% most difficult. Gravity and Spruce Run were among the very few listed as closed. What draws me to CV instead of elsewhere is an opportunity to ski the "outer" runs such as the Weiss Meadows, Prosperity, and especially Dark Side of the Moon. All were listed in the snow report -- on the web shortly after 5am, at the ticket window, and still on the web late last night -- as open.

Unfortunately, snowmaking on Spruce Run completely blocked off access to the outer runs. Hats off, of course, to CV for making big piles of snow, but the operations and PR people need to talk with each other and produce an accurate snow report. It's also a shame that snowmaking in one area can cut off access to what looks like almost 50% of the mountain's terrain.

Woody
chaga
January 8, 2010
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts
word is, snowmaking is done and everything is open tomorrow (fri)
See you there for first chair smile
Bostic
January 8, 2010
Member since 12/30/2009 🔗
7 posts
As you guys know alot can happen after 5:00 am. We will make sure that we don't block the great natural trails in the future. Sometimes they get ahead of their selves trying to give as much base or protect entries to the natural trails by building bigger bases.

One of the mountain managers actually post the report. Thanks for coming and we appreciate your comments.
appskiah
January 8, 2010
Member since 09/16/2006 🔗
88 posts
chaga, were you with that group of free-heelers at the first chair this morning? i was the one in alpine gear and red backpack.

bostic, it would have been nice if gravity was left ungroomed.

regardless, the skiing in the valley is good everywhere. hope the resorts can bank the next couple of weekends
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 8, 2010
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Originally Posted By: Bostic
As you guys know alot can happen after 5:00 am. We will make sure that we don't block the great natural trails in the future. Sometimes they get ahead of their selves trying to give as much base or protect entries to the natural trails by building bigger bases.

One of the mountain managers actually post the report. Thanks for coming and we appreciate your comments.

Hey, bostic, thanks for your reply! Looking forward to visiting the Dark Side (of the Moon, that is) later in the season.

Woody
chaga
January 8, 2010
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts
Originally Posted By: appskiah
chaga, were you with that group of free-heelers at the first chair this morning? i was the one in alpine gear and red backpack.

ya mon. until i realized how cold it was sitting on a lift and went to WG to warm up again by skiing uphill.

Met Abe from in that long line of 6 people for first chair.. he is a rippin tele skier too.

abe on prosperity
Bostic
January 9, 2010
Member since 12/30/2009 🔗
7 posts
Sorry about the grooming, (Darkside is my favorite too).. We just wanted to get a good base so when you start hitting on the new fresh powder there arent any suprises smile
Abe
January 10, 2010
Member since 11/14/2008 🔗
366 posts
Thanks for the compliment chaga! Sweet video too... I've never been able to watch myself ski before.

It was amazing how the powder changed from slow and relatively heavy on Friday to amazingly light and much faster on Saturday! Both days were incredible though wink
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?