Lost Ski Areas Question
9 posts
5 users
2k+ views
Scott - DCSki Editor
April 18, 2009
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
I received an e-mail from Laurie, who runs the great teachski.com web site. She has some information from 1969 on mid-Atlantic ski areas that might be closed that I don't list here on DCSki, but isn't sure if they simply went by a different name. Can anyone weigh in? The areas are:

http://teachski.com/books/nationalsurvey/pasnohill.jpg
http://teachski.com/books/nationalsurvey/paskyline.jpg
http://teachski.com/books/nationalsurvey/patimberhill.jpg
http://teachski.com/books/nationalsurvey/paskimont.jpg
http://teachski.com/books/nationalsurvey/atlaspaperbirch.jpg
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
April 19, 2009
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
779 posts
Scott,

I think I can answer a few of these.

* Sno-Hill PA became Mt. Tone and then closed. (DCSki's Mt. Tone page includes a ski patch from Sno-Hill.)

* Skyline was located in Virginia and also known as Rappahannock. DCSki.com has a page on Rappahannock/Skyline.

* Timber-Hill became Alpine Mountain and still operates in Analomink PA near Canadensis.

* I have an illustration of a Skimont PA ski patch somewhere. Didn't it become Tussey Mountain near State College? Perhaps someone else can confirm.

* Paper Birch became Tanglwood and still operates.

Woody
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
April 19, 2009
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Laurie is a great gal. We met at an and EpicSki early season Stowe Eastern Tuneup a few years back. She has a passion for skiing history and you can share it at her website A Look Back At Skiing

I sent her a copy of an article about Laurel Mountain's early beginnings written by Laurel's first manager, Lenny Baughman. You can check them out here: The Beginning Years at Laurel Mountain Ski Area
GGNagy
April 20, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Woody nailed them all, according to my notes. All those numbers for Skimont roughly match Tussey. Of course, this is all before the days of terraserver and GPS and these surveys were filled out by the resorts themselves.

You can also see that the Atlas was not immune to errors or typos. Baolsburg is one example. My other favorite was the "White Mt" listing Laurie posted, that faithfully describes Laurel Mt.

Lauries site has been a great resource for those of us with an interest in lost ski areas and skiing history. None of the information has helped me find &$@$%*&* Callimont however! smile
KeithT
April 20, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
I noticed these areas as well when looking at the teachski website a while back. Thanks Woody for the matchups.

On another note, my wife is from Ohio, and I know of 4 lost areas there--Clear Fork, Spicy Run, Echo Hills and Sugar Creek. Sad thing is they won't show up on NELSAP or here because of geographic coverage.

Also Scott, I have an old Alpine Lake brochure with some ski info and would be happy to give it to DC Ski. Just need to know how to get it to you all.
GGNagy
April 20, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Keith,
Ciscokid, who posts mostly on nelsap/sj but also posts here, has started a number of threads over there about open and lost MI ski areas and has had quite a following.

It could also be a "built it, and they will come" type opportunity for you. smile
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
April 20, 2009
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
779 posts
Sno-Hill, Skimont, Timber-Hill and Skyline would be examples of "lost name" ski areas, that is, ski area names that were subsequently changed. That term often pops up on the SnowJournal.com message boards when the subject of name changes is discussed.

Let's wait another month while the last snow patches melt away here in the mid-Atlantic and then we can start a thread for "Lost Names of the Mid-Atlantic".

Woody
KeithT
April 20, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
Originally Posted By: GGNagy
None of the information has helped me find &$@$%*&* Callimont however! smile

Interesting on Callimont, can't find anything on this one either but a 2,000 foot double over 300 feet according to skistats would seem hard to hide, even if it was installed in 1972. The topography of the area is also weird--looks like an abandoned golf course development per topos and street names like "Burning Tree" and "St. Andrews." But I am assuming these are not typical street names for south central PA. Perhaps the ski area was part of this development and extended north towards Callimont down into the small valley. Vertical looks about right.
GGNagy
April 21, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Originally Posted By: KeithT
Originally Posted By: GGNagy
None of the information has helped me find &$@$%*&* Callimont however! smile

Interesting on Callimont, can't find anything on this one either but a 2,000 foot double over 300 feet according to skistats would seem hard to hide, even if it was installed in 1972. The topography of the area is also weird--looks like an abandoned golf course development per topos and street names like "Burning Tree" and "St. Andrews." But I am assuming these are not typical street names for south central PA. Perhaps the ski area was part of this development and extended north towards Callimont down into the small valley. Vertical looks about right.

I have driven and hiked through the area. There are signs of lots of old buildings and even the old golf course, but I saw no signs of a lift ever being there. More likely, the ski area was to the NE, At the end of Wilhelm Ln

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.