2020-21 Ski Season?
33 posts
13 users
4k+ views
hockeydave
August 2, 2020
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts

Being from Western PA and now only a little over 3 months to the start of ski season, 7S, HV and LM have been very quiet as to if and how they will be reopening. I can only guess that season pass sales are probably down. Many issues at all 3 resorts (and the Bucs) can be laid at the feet of Nutting, but COVID-19 isn't one of them.

Anybody with any additional insight as to how any ski area will open given the current state of things?

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
August 2, 2020
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Keep an eye on how the season is going in the Southern Hemisphere. That will inform the best practice for all Northern Hemisphere resorts. Wait to see what health related mandates are in place in November and go from there. That answers how and when. If PA can stem this latest rise in cases then I think there will be a season.  At the very least I expect occupancy restrictions and physical distancing requirements all of which could add up to limiting or spacing ticket sales during high demand days. Masked will be required until a vaccine and/or a sure-fire medical treatment is in place. Physically distancing on a six-seater is going to be difficult unless you can fill all the seats with family and those already inside your personal bubble. Maybe no singles line at the lifts? Lift attendants instead of maximizing loading instead help keep clusters together separated from each other so partially filled chairs and longer waits in line on busy weekends and holidays.  

The question is are you willing to risk exposure. Personally, given the militant minority that believes it is their God given Constitutional right to do as they please then I will give them all the space they require. 

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
August 2, 2020
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

They have been doing the yearly lift maintenance at HV, so it appears they are preparing for the season. They need to generate some revenue. I think they'll figure out how to get the season rolling. We still have almost 4 months to the start of the season. I am hoping by then, things will start to settle down....please.

Leo
August 3, 2020
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts

Very anecdotal, but observatoins of mine recently:

1. A few weeks ago I hiked through the base of the North Summit at HV.  They tore the lift shack down there and it honestly looked like someone left in the middle of the job and wasn't coming back.  There were stubbed off electric wires comng out of the ground tacked to a makeshift plywood wall.  I don't know for certain that you "need" a lift house at the base, but assuming they want one, they would need to be building it soon, I would think.

2.  A somehwat key employee (I'll leave unnamed) told me his feeling from internal meetings is there's a 50/50 chance of HV opening for this ski season.

3. I was there this weekend and fishing at lake George/Helen at the base.  There are new "no trespassing" signs tacked up near all of the facilities down that way, some on posts that were driven into the ground.  There is an HV vehicle on the back side of the conference center that the front axel gave out and one of the front wheels folded under the vehicle and it's just sitting there like that.

My honest impression walking around most of the resort is that it looks like it was abandoned years ago instead of months.  And contrast that with the fact that it's actually busy, mostly with out of towners who are making it their home for now.

I will say the pool up top was nice and in good shape and the golf course is open though I have heard not in the best shape.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
August 3, 2020
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

Keep an eye on how the season is going in the Southern Hemisphere. That will inform the best practice for all Northern Hemisphere resorts. Wait to see what health related mandates are in place in November and go from there. . . .

While I agree that's true for destination resorts, I'm not quite sure it applies to small hills in the Mid-A.  Resorts that are running summer operations are certainly likely to have a winter season with lifts running.  I expect Massanutten and Bryce to be running lifts as soon as enough snowmaking is completed in early Dec, if not sooner with cooperation from Mother Nature.  Snowshoe will open slopes this winter, one way or another.  The new owners of Timberline is charging ahead with completing construction of new lifts and probably selling a fair number of season passes.  WV seems like they will do what it takes to open CV.  Wisp and Wintergreen are clearly open for summer fun.

Vail Resorts opted to close two of the three ski resorts they own in Australia.  They had been open for less than a week.  COVID-19 spread in the city that is the primary market was a factor, as was low snow conditions and warm weather.  VR opted to keep Sunapee in NH closed for the summer season.  Other VR resorts in New England are open with appropriate adjustments.

In short, owners and operators of ski resorts have decisions to make in the next month or two that aren't easy.  Quite possible that being open for 2020-21 means losing money, but staying closed has major downsides in the long run too.

August 3, 2020
1,576 posts

Leo wrote:

1. A few weeks ago I hiked through the base of the North Summit at HV.  They tore the lift shack down there and it honestly looked like someone left in the middle of the job and wasn't coming back.  There were stubbed off electric wires comng out of the ground tacked to a makeshift plywood wall.  I don't know for certain that you "need" a lift house at the base, but assuming they want one, they would need to be building it soon, I would think.

2.  A somehwat key employee (I'll leave unnamed) told me his feeling from internal meetings is there's a 50/50 chance of HV opening for this ski season.

3. I was there this weekend and fishing at lake George/Helen at the base.  There are new "no trespassing" signs tacked up near all of the facilities down that way, some on posts that were driven into the ground.  There is an HV vehicle on the back side of the conference center that the front axel gave out and one of the front wheels folded under the vehicle and it's just sitting there like that.

My honest impression walking around most of the resort is that it looks like it was abandoned years ago instead of months.  And contrast that with the fact that it's actually busy, mostly with out of towners who are making it their home for now.

I will say the pool up top was nice and in good shape and the golf course is open though I have heard not in the best shape.

They replaced the steel cable on the Sunrise (or Sunset?) lift recently, removed all of the chairs and reinstalled them. I've notice every year that Beancounter Mauch's modus operadi is to wait until late fall to finalize projects. I am sure there is some beans saved there somewhere. 
They would be fools not to open. Nobody, or perhaps few of us, will be flying in the hermetically sealed metal tube to resorts out west. Thus I think local resorts will be crowded just as HV is now with city folk escaping germ infested cities and doing one of the few things left to enjoy, the great outdoors where social distancing is not an issue. I think the golf course is in poor shape because of the snow we had in mid-May.

August 3, 2020
1,576 posts

Leo wrote:

They replaced the steel cable on the Sunrise (or Sunset?) lift recently, removed all of the chairs and reinstalled them. I've notice every year that Beancounter Mauch's modus operadi is to wait until late fall to finalize projects. I am sure there is some beans saved there somewhere. 
They would be fools not to open. Nobody, or perhaps few of us, will be flying in the hermetically sealed metal tube to resorts out west. Thus I think local resorts will be crowded just as HV is now with city folk escaping germ infested cities and doing one of the few things left to enjoy, the great outdoors where social distancing is not an issue. I think the golf course is in poor shape because of the snow we had in mid-May.

FreshPow
August 3, 2020
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

Came to see if a discussion such as this - sure enough! I wear a name tag at one of the busier drivable hills to DC. It best serves I not name it, but those who've seen me post over the years may already know. It's been absolute silence to regular staff and volunteers. Nothing. Normally we're picking shifts right about now. 

Granted, we have new owners (hint, hint), so many other variables. But without full food/beverage and ability to fill lifts with unfamiliar parties, I'm really wondering how it works and scratch some money. If it happens, RSVPs will be needed each day. 

As said, I got nothing further to add. But I am a business owner myself and understand the basic economics as such. As well the potential liabilities - I'm in Risk Management. A season certain to lose further money won't happen.  This "thing" is with us til next summer at best. But let's hope...

Vermont
August 4, 2020
Member since 12/26/2019 🔗
174 posts

FreshPow wrote:

Came to see if a discussion such as this - sure enough! I wear a name tag at one of the busier drivable hills to DC. It best serves I not name it, but those who've seen me post over the years may already know. It's been absolute silence to regular staff and volunteers. Nothing. Normally we're picking shifts right about now. 

Granted, we have new owners (hint, hint), so many other variables. But without full food/beverage and ability to fill lifts with unfamiliar parties, I'm really wondering how it works and scratch some money. If it happens, RSVPs will be needed each day. 

As said, I got nothing further to add. But I am a business owner myself and understand the basic economics as such. As well the potential liabilities - I'm in Risk Management. A season certain to lose further money won't happen.  This "thing" is with us til next summer at best. But let's hope

Fresh, perhaps that ski area is now part of a bigger conglomerate rather then say an independent ski area that makes tbeir own decisions about opening 

FreshPow
August 4, 2020
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

Vermont wrote:

Fresh, perhaps that ski area is now part of a bigger conglomerate rather then say an independent ski area that makes tbeir own decisions about opening 

No doubt Indies can and hopefully will. I further wear a name tag at a well-regarded Indy in your name state. But if I'm required to quarantine for 14 days on arrival from a spiked state like most others around here and currently required in Vt - I/we can't visit. Vermont has perhaps the tightest COVID gate of any state. 

As to the conglomerates - that is the fact of the industry. It covers a lot of hills. Locally and nationally. I am no defender of the NYSE traded ski operators.  Thus why my eyes and skills have wandered up North in recent years. But am well aware they report to shareholders. Opening up just to open up isn't going to fly if the operational expenses incur greater losses than just going dormant a season. There's a lot of fixed costs to spin lifts. The number of guests will have to be significantly curtailed. The math challenges. Epic and Ikon have very flexible terms for passholders to punt to 2021/22 (a decision required soon though). Hmm..

Again, I'm making no proposals, just theorizing. The large destination resorts will likely open. Their "brands" are key and they have the space and acreage to distance. But you'll have to RSVP. A busy day hill? I scratch my head. I hope it's figured out.  But an Indy already with lower skier volume and lift capacity (hooray doubles! ...and the one single) may just work. RSVP required and they may never be in more demand. 

Leo
August 4, 2020
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts

I hadn't thought of this.  Getting into the pool at HV friday was more challenging than a visit to a maximum security prison.  RSVPs were required and I had a large group of kids with me and they were tired of swimming before I was done completing the waivers.

If it is the case, will resorts favor passholders?  Nutting will probably come up with some way to charge for preferential treatment, LOL.

FreshPow wrote:

If it happens, RSVPs will be needed each day. 

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
August 4, 2020
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

marzNC wrote:

While I agree that's true for destination resorts, I'm not quite sure it applies to small hills in the Mid-A.  Resorts that are running summer operations are certainly likely to have a winter season with lifts running.  I expect Massanutten and Bryce to be running lifts as soon as enough snowmaking is completed in early Dec, if not sooner with cooperation from Mother Nature.  Snowshoe will open slopes this winter, one way or another.  The new owners of Timberline is charging ahead with completing construction of new lifts and probably selling a fair number of season passes.  WV seems like they will do what it takes to open CV.  Wisp and Wintergreen are clearly open for summer fun.

Vail Resorts opted to close two of the three ski resorts they own in Australia.  They had been open for less than a week.  COVID-19 spread in the city that is the primary market was a factor, as was low snow conditions and warm weather.  VR opted to keep Sunapee in NH closed for the summer season.  Other VR resorts in New England are open with appropriate adjustments.

In short, owners and operators of ski resorts have decisions to make in the next month or two that aren't easy.  Quite possible that being open for 2020-21 means losing money, but staying closed has major downsides in the long run too.

I can't imagine destination resorts opening in states that have mandates against opening because of this pandemic. They will be subjected to the same rule as "local" resorts. I can't imagine any risk manager advising resort owners to open in the face of such mandates. I'm not saying these mandates are or will be in place. I'm just saying that if such health mandates are in effect come November they will not open. All we can do is wait and see.

Having said that, I think FreshPow's post nailed it:

FreshPow wrote:

...But I am a business owner myself and understand the basic economics as such. As well the potential liabilities - I’m in Risk Management. A season certain to lose further money won’t happen.  This ”thing” is with us til next summer at best. But let’s hope

wgo
August 4, 2020
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

My plan for the upcoming season is to do half days at Massanutten. It's an hour away so the convenience factor is high. Will probably look to do midweek to avoid crowds. I will probably spring for the family pass - Mnut will offer a full no questions asked refund until Oct 31, which I will take adavantage of if things take a marked turn for the worse in the fall. My son and I will also probably do a couple day trips to timberline, again midweek if possible. That's a longer haul (3 hours each way) but one that I have done many times in the past.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
August 4, 2020
3,245 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

I can't imagine destination resorts opening in states that have mandates against opening because of this pandemic. They will be subjected to the same rule as "local" resorts. I can't imagine any risk manager advising resort owners to open in the face of such mandates. I'm not saying these mandates are or will be in place. I'm just saying that if such health mandates are in effect come November they will not open. All we can do is wait and see.

Of course no destination resort will open if they are in a local jurisdiction that doesn't allow it.  But at this stage there are quite a few ski resorts that are open for summer operations in more than one region.

My point was that the decision process is different for a large destination resort versus a small ski area.  Especially if the destination resort is part of multi-resort company.  A small ski area may actually be at an advantage.  In his blog entry, Win Smith of Sugarbush noted that not having a gondola but only chairlifts is probably useful this season.  Smuggs may feel the same way in comparison to Stowe.

Massanutten is somewhere in between a destination resort and a ski area mainly for locals.  It's a large timeshare resort but is an independent ski area close enough for a day trip for a fair number of people.  It also has quite a few non-skiing activities that are open during the winter, as well as during other seasons.  What Mnut decides to do may well be different than Bryce, which is smaller and caters to a different market.  My sense is that the percentage of Bryce skiers who own lodging near the mountain is pretty high.  Same goes for Wintergreen.  So even though all three are in northern VA, the situations and approaches for managing capacity on the slopes may well be different.

The four Australian ski resorts that have stayed open are handling tickets and season passes quite differently.  There are pros and cons to every solution.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
August 4, 2020
3,245 posts

wgo wrote:

My plan for the upcoming season is to do half days at Massanutten. It's an hour away so the convenience factor is high. Will probably look to do midweek to avoid crowds. I will probably spring for the family pass - Mnut will offer a full no questions asked refund until Oct 31, which I will take adavantage of if things take a marked turn for the worse in the fall. My son and I will also probably do a couple day trips to timberline, again midweek if possible. That's a longer haul (3 hours each way) but one that I have done many times in the past.

Is the Mnut family pass the main draw for going there instead of Wintergreen?

wgo
August 4, 2020
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

marzNC wrote:

Is the Mnut family pass the main draw for going there instead of Wintergreen?

It's a factor. Mnut fam pass is about $180 cheaper than a WTG fam pass (I think the WTG pass would have been cheaper if I had bought back in the spring). The fact that a WTG season pass can essentially be used as a season pass to Wisp is a really attractive feature, but (a) we will not be doing many (if any) overnight trips this season, and (b) when we do travel 3 hours this season we want to give the new Timberline a chance.

Bonzski
August 6, 2020
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Win Smith just sent this update....

Dear Sugarbush Community,

Wherever I go, with my face partially hidden by my Sugarbush logo face mask, I inevitably get asked the same big question, “So, what is going to happen this winter?”. Well, I’m happy to provide as much information as we know at this point.

Let’s start at the beginning. We will surely begin snowmaking as we normally do around November 1st if the temperatures permit. In fact, while you may think we have been taking the summer off and relaxing amid the uncertainty, we have actually been hard at work all summer long performing routine maintenance on our 16 lifts and fleet of on-mountain vehicles. We are also starting to recruit for the winter season, and we are giving a lot of thought as to what the new normal for this winter is going to look like. I am very confident we will be open for skiing and riding, but exactly what that will look like and what it means for auxiliary activities will only be known as we get closer to opening day. As our plans continue to develop, we will be sure to share them with you.

Science increasingly shows that wearing a mask outdoors lower the risk of contracting the virus significantly. To help simplify things a bit, we do not have gondolas or bubble quads to the chagrin of some, but now that seems as though it could be an advantage. Open air doubles, triples and quads as discussed in a recent New York Magazine article appear to be less of a risk than an enclosed space. Science is showing that the greatest risks come from poorly ventilated indoor environments when masks are not worn, social distancing is not practiced, and when the duration of the stay is fifteen minutes or longer. We will likely continue to know even more about the virus in the weeks and months ahead.

But given what we know now, it is likely that the normally large weekend and holiday indoor crowds will not be allowed in restaurants, bars, rentals, and ski and ride school. It may be that online reservations will become our new normal, as it has for golf this summer and for dining at Hogan’s Pub. It may be that more people are working at home or in their second homes here in the Mad River Valley and that our skier visits could get spread out over 7 days instead of being concentrated on Saturdays and a few holidays. Wouldn’t that make for a better experience? It may be that there is more demand for private ski and ride lessons that become more like group privates with friends and families signing up together rather than being placed with strangers. It may be that we have more outdoor dining and après options in the Lincoln Peak Courtyard and elsewhere.

Of course, the current quarantine measures that are in place here in Vermont and elsewhere will need to be followed and weekend visits for out of state guests could be impacted. There are still many unknowns today, but our team here at Sugarbush and throughout the Alterra Mountain Company family have been working on solutions these past several months, so that we are prepared to adapt to whatever happens in order to provide all of you with the best experience possible. Being part of Alterra Mountain Company has been a real advantage, as we are able to share ideas and create solutions together as a large team rather than having to go it alone.

So yes, I am confident that we will be skiing and riding this winter. We will just all have to be flexible and more patient than our Type A personalities are used to. It is time to start getting the quads and core back into shape and checking your equipment. Opening day is nearer now than closing day last spring.

Best Regards,
Win Smith

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
August 10, 2020
3,245 posts

Magic has posted an update looking towards the upcoming season.  Only tricky part will be if Vermont is stil requiring 14-day self-quarantine for people traveling from states or even VT counties with higher Percent Positive stats come ski season.

Alpine Update from Magic

"August has arrived and that means we are really turning the corner toward ski season and projects take on even more urgency.

The crew here at Magic has really never taken the foot of the gas, except for maybe the first couple weeks post-COVID 19 shutdown in late March. We are getting after trail mowing, lift maintenance, snowmaking pipe repair and testing, new beginner area expansion, new lighted terrain park, new outdoor food & beverage areas like the T-BAR, Black Line Tavern tented dining area and weekly upkeep on the disc golf course which has been getting more play this summer. Pfister Mountain Services has also been making steady progress on the Black Line Quad, with haul rope installation next on the list as well as electrical drive work.

. . .

The third thing is to plan on making reservations online, in advance, to ski and ride here whenever we are open, with check-in upon arrival to get a lift ticket (both pass holders and ticket buyers) so we can control exactly how many people are at Magic to meet our capacity restrictions. Reservations will also most likely be needed to obtain limited table space for (on weekends/holidays) upstairs at the lodge at the Black Line Tavern and downstairs in the cafeteria so we can meet and accurately control our limited capacity numbers. That way you know whether you can be inside or only outside that ski day and plan accordingly. Uncertainty is never fun, so we think its better to know either way ahead of time, so you can plan and prepare.

If you don't have one of the reservations for inside the lodge, be prepared to use our expanded outside food & beverage areas we are creating (we will invest in some outdoor heating elements as well). Online reservations and upfront payment will also be required for limited rental equipment and snowsports lessons (private lessons only most likely).

. . ."

kwillg6
August 13, 2020
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

As a resident at the base of the New Timberline Mountain and I work part time at CVR golf course there are some very obvious activities during the pandemic.  Living in the mountains this summer is sure different from previous years.  

Observation one.  The golf course has become increasingly busy as the summer wears on.  I'm talking t-times are now being set for next month and beyond.  The local season pass holders have had to change their mode of operation because we just cannot slt them slide in without a reserved time.  We are busy mid week as well.  Had our busiest mid week day on this past Tuesday.  With COVID, golf has become one of the safest activities one can do.  

Observation two. The roads in and around the valley are very busy. The rentals in and around the valley are unusually occupied. Davis is as busy mid week as it normally is on holiday weekends.  The carry out restaurants are killing it.  Although one popular restaurant has yet to re open, in Davis, all the others are busy.  In the valley,  Big Johns is being run by the owner of the BBQ place.  Both places appear very busy.  Siriannis in the valley is open for carry out on Th, F, Sat because they are too busy st their Davis location.  

Observation three.  Most hiking and biking venues and areas are busy every day.  In Dolly Sods you will see numerous VA, DC, MD, PA, OH, and NC cars parked at trail heads.  My neighborhood which has 5 out of 8 homes for rentals has been full almost nightly.

Observation four.  The work on the Timberline rebirth has continued nonstop.  The towers for the high speed six pack were set this week.  They still need to have electric supply installed and tow ropes installed along with some other stuff.  They are starting the upgrades in snowmaking and the mountain si coming to life.  The lodge improvements, etc...  They are planning to be open and I imagine there will be some restrictions due to COVID but it appears life wiil go on. 

bob
August 13, 2020
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

The head of the CDC was on the tube yesterday proclaiming that he expects the combination of flu and covid will result in the worst health crisis since the 1918 virus.

If he's right, you ain't seen nothing yet.

bob
August 13, 2020 (edited August 13, 2020)
755 posts

Well, Steamboat sent out and encouraging e-mail this morning:

Also, Southwest just announced that it will fly Denver/Hayden and Dallas/Hayden Saturday/Sunday service starting December 9

Steamboat  
  Lift Ticket Special  

In 100 short days the mountain is scheduled to open. And we can all look forward to a season of skiing and riding, in Steamboat’s wide-open spaces. If there’s anything that can make us feel better, it’s finding ourselves on a trail, here at Steamboat, in the middle of nature

hockeydave
August 16, 2020
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts

Received emails from all 3 Laurel Highlands ski resorts over the past several days that this Winter is a go, at least as of now. So that is encouraging. What that means and what that business model entails is another story. Just like PIAA high school sports this Fall, who knows if Wolf will weigh in with "recomendations". Time will tell. Very uncertain times indeed.

skiracerx
August 20, 2020
Member since 11/24/2008 🔗
226 posts

of 100 days the avg 60 of packed people, the resort will have to limit the amount of crowd. I expect reservations. For a weekend or holiday.

Libery 40 days weekdays with no new snow and no school out is very unused and easy to have no lift line or shared lift. Same for roundtop and even whitetail. 

Will have to wait till late september to see the Financial effect for pass sales. VAIL usually at 48% profit in bank by end of august.

FIS has pulled out of North America. Time will tell along with the regular flu season.

90% COVID vaccine and gone by June 2021  50% by February is the other guess. Back half of season may be better.

Will know more by November. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
August 21, 2020
3,245 posts

skiracerx wrote:

of 100 days the avg 60 of packed people, the resort will have to limit the amount of crowd. I expect reservations. For a weekend or holiday.

Libery 40 days weekdays with no new snow and no school out is very unused and easy to have no lift line or shared lift. Same for roundtop and even whitetail. 

Might be different midweek this winter if many kids are doing online school and their parents have more flexible time because working from home . . . or a ski lodge.  Don't think it would mean so many more people that reservations would be needed Mon-Thu.  But perhaps more than usual.  Fridays may well be as popular as Sat and Sun.  Perhaps Mondays too.

Vail Resorts presumably learned a lot from their experience with Perisher in Australia.  In particular about how to handle people making reservations in advance for 1-5 days.  Those with Epic passes didn't have to make a reservation midweek once there was enough snow cover to have most of the lifts open.  Of course, Perisher is a lot bigger than Liberty.  Something like 30 lifts, with quite a few surface lifts.  Relatively short runs that aren't that much different from the smaller mountains in New England or Snowshoe.

FreshPow
August 26, 2020
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

FreshPow wrote:

CIt's been absolute silence to regular staff and volunteers. Nothing. Normally we're picking shifts right about now.

Three weeks later, still no communications. Meanwhile, or perhaps in the absence of anything, rumors of the hill being shuttered for the season have popped up from a few different sources. We'll see...

FreshPow
August 27, 2020
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

From a suburban Denver office park, The Oracle has spoken: https://www.epicpass.com/info/letter-to-our-pass-holders

Executive summary: Reservations - every day; everyone. Pass holders have the priority. 

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
August 27, 2020
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

FreshPow wrote:

From a suburban Denver office park, The Oracle has spoken: https://www.epicpass.com/info/letter-to-our-pass-holders

Executive summary: Reservations - every day; everyone. Pass holders have the priority. 

How long until Alterra copies and pastes the same?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
August 27, 2020
3,245 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

FreshPow wrote:

How long until Alterra copies and pastes the same?

Maybe, maybe not.  VR has the same RFID infrastructure and software for Epic passholders at all the VR destination resorts.  That's not true for Alterra.

Be interesting how the implementation goes for the the former Peak resorts that didn't put in VR RFID yet.

Based on what happened in Australia the first couple weeks of early season, limiting to Epic passholders until Dec. 8 is probably a good idea.  VR has announced opening dates for northeast resorts already, as well as the Keystone target of Nov. 6.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
August 27, 2020
3,245 posts

Not only has Vail Resorts announced how lift tickets will work, they have posted opening dates for their resorts in all regions.  Of couse, still depends on the weather.

NEW ENGLAND
Wildcat: November 13
Mount Snow: November 14
Hunter: November 20
Stowe: November 20
Okemo: November 21
Mount Sunapee: November 25
Attitash: December 4
Crotched: December 5

MID-ATLANTIC
Big Boulder: December 4
Round Top: December 11
Jack Frost: December 11
Liberty: December 18
Whitetail: December 18

ROCKIES
Keystone: November 6
Breckenridge: November 13
Vail: November 20
Park City: November 20
Beaver Creek: November 25
Crested Butte: November 25

WEST
Heavenly: November 20
Northstar: November 20
Kirkwood: December 4
Stevens Pass: December 4

MIDWEST
Afton Alps: December 4
Wilmot Mountain: December 5
Mt Brighton: December 5
Alpine Valley: December 19
Boston Mills: December 19
Brandywine: December 19
Mad River Mountain: December 19
Hidden Valley: December 19
Snow Creek: December 19
Paoli Peaks: December 19

CANADA
Whistler Blackcomb: November 26

bob
August 28, 2020
755 posts

Mores about Vail Resorts' operational plans:

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/vail-resorts-to-use-reservation-system-for-on-mountain-access-announces-opening-dates-for-2020-21-season/

Reservations will be required to access Vail-owned mountains, and the company said in a news release that it intends to limit lift tickets and prioritize passholders. According to the website for the Epic Pass, Vail Resorts’ pass system, the company anticipates being able to accommodate everyone who wants to ski or ride for the “vast majority of days.” The site also notes that the reservation system was designed to make people feel safe...

Passholders will be able to make reservations at EpicPass.com, on each ski resort’s website or over the phone. Additional information on the reservation system is expected to be provided by early November. Beginning Nov. 6, passholders can start making reservations online for Dec. 8 to April 4. Passholders will be offered seven priority reservation days during that period.

Single-day lift tickets will go on sale Dec. 8, leaving the early season to passholders, according to the release. Walk-up tickets will no longer be available for purchase at the window, but day-of guests can purchase tickets from their mobile devices and pick them up at the window.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
August 28, 2020
3,245 posts

Interesting that Colorado resorts are considering whether or not limiting capacity on a chairlift is really necessary.  Meaning insisting that people who don't arrive together can't ride the same chair, or can only have two strangers on a quad leaving an empty seat in between.  VR is requiring face coverings everywhere, including outdoors.  That could be related to the idea of allowing more or less usual loading of chairlifts and gondolas.

https://theknow.denverpost.com/2020/08/23/colorado-ski-season-2020-2021-coronavirus/244102/

Important to remember that what ABasin did in May is probably not really a model for what will happen during the upcoming season.  A lot more is known about COVID-19 transmission, and a lot was learned during the Australian season in June-August.

skiracerx
August 30, 2020
Member since 11/24/2008 🔗
226 posts

looks like cashless and reservation only that will require planning.  Second issue will be the next wave NOV Dec if it comes to pass. 

FreshPow
September 4, 2020
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

So those of us in a volunteer role at the one time Snowtime hills finally learned of Vail Resorts plan to manage and reward us going forward. Initial estimates have perhaps half of Patrol electing it's not worth it going forward. The Mt Safety program (vibrant at our hill) - kapoff! Largely gone from the hill. They're base area greeters now. 

Will be interesting going forward. But no longer a concern of mine. :-/

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.