Going to Snowshoe. Stratsburg, VA - good location for overnight stay?
16 posts
9 users
2k+ views
fosphenytoin - DCSki Supporter 
January 8, 2020 (edited January 8, 2020)
Member since 12/20/2017 🔗
169 posts

Taking my nephew to Snowshoe for MLK weekend. 

I will pick him up on Jan. 17th 8 pm at BWI.  It will be too late to drive up to Snowshoe that night. 

I can either hit the road on Jan 18th early morning (from Alexandria) or I can hit the road that night and cover some distance. 

Is Stratsburg, VA a good place to stay overnight?  (I look into Wardensville but don't see any lodging options.)

Essentially, I'd like to cover distance on Interstate as far as I can.  Prefer not to drive on state roads at night. 

For lodging location, any other suggestions?  
Am I better off just to hit the road early morning from Alexandria to the Shoe?  

Thanks in advance for your reply. 

JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 8, 2020
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

Have never stayed in Strasburg and can't recommend specific motel, but it looks like there is a number of low budget choices.  It makes sense for your late departure from BWI if you want to try to get in a mostly full day of skiing on Sat.   2 hrs from BWI to Strasburg and then 3 more to Snowshoe.  Get up early and arrive around 10-11 AM.  Have fun:-)

tskski
January 8, 2020
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts

I would keep driving south on 81 to Staunton and spend the night there. Should be more hotels there. I head west from there when I go SS.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 8, 2020
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

tskski wrote:

I would keep driving south on 81 to Staunton and spend the night there. Should be more hotels there. I head west from there when I go SS.

In that case might as well stop in Harrisonburg instead of going all the way to Staunton.  Just over 2.5 hours from BWI.  Then can take US33 into WV or RT42 to US250.  US33 in WV has a lot of mountain curves.  I've driven to Snowshoe from Massanutten.   Takes about 2.5 hours in good weather.  Plenty of motels in Harrisonburg right off I-81 at US33.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
January 9, 2020
169 posts

Thanks for the usefule info.

In terms of driving, which way (below) to Snowshoe is easier?

1) Staunton to the Shoe

or

2) Harrisonburg to RT 33 to RT 250 to the Shoe

or

3) Harrisonburg to RT 42 to RT 250 to the Shoe

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 9, 2020
3,246 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

Thanks for the usefule info.

In terms of driving, which way (below) to Snowshoe is easier?

1) Staunton to the Shoe

or

2) Harrisonburg to RT 33 to RT 250 to the Shoe

or

3) Harrisonburg to RT 42 to RT 250 to the Shoe

Timing is pretty much identical.  Having driven on US33 to US220 (not 250) from Mnut to SS once with snow on the road but nothing coming down, I'd try I-81 to RT42 to US250 the next time. But the amount of curvy mountain road is really about the same.

Staunton to SS via US250 is obviously pretty much the same as Harrisonburg to SS via RT42 and US250.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 10, 2020
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Check out staying in Moorefield WV.  Several motels there.

or for less driving on Friday, stay in Front Royal, VA

tskski
January 12, 2020
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts

I81 south to Staunton to Rt 250 is better than Rts 33 or 42. You'll make better time on the interstate than on the two lane roads. Take exit 225 off 81 and the Woodrow Wilson Pkwy will take you around Staunton to Rt 250.

miamichillin99
January 13, 2020
Member since 01/25/2013 🔗
19 posts

Be very careful driving on Saturday.  Bad weather is rolling in and it can get dangerous on the roads.  I wouldn't recommend it.

January 13, 2020 (edited January 13, 2020)
169 posts

Thanks all for the info.

After discussing this with my nephew (he is good w/ directions), we think it's better to stick w/ I 66 -> H Corridor, which is the route I have been taking the past few times I visited Snowshoe.  

Moorefield WV is a good idea, something I may do next time I go to SS myself.  Thanks @the Colonel

His flight actually arrives at 9 pm at BWI,  By the time we get to Stratsburg, it may be close to midnight.  Moorefield will add another 55 miles, which is additional hour, I think to be on the safe side, we better stay in Stratsburg and head out early on Sat.  Hopefully, we can get to the mtn by 10 am.  I am watching the weather forecast, aware of rain/snow on Sat.  If worst comes to worst, I will get a 4WD rental from the airport.  

The19thHole
January 13, 2020
Member since 06/29/2015 🔗
85 posts

I'd personally leave BWI and drive right to Snowshoe, regardless of how late it is. I would do this anyhow, but especially so given the weather forecast for Saturday morning. Snow-covered WV roads are no joke, 4WD or not, and it could take hours to get from Strasburg to Snowshoe, assuming accidents don't block any parts of the route.

Shotmaker
January 13, 2020
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

If you have at least front wheel drive with good tires you should be able to make it. The valleys are forecast to have a mix. Driving through the Monongahela Natiopnal Forest on route 28 will have accumulating snow and the drive from Cass to the top will be similar.

Start early as possible on Saturday morning because it will be a slow go. You may want to consider driving in the main entrance at Snowshoe Drive rather than the first right to the Top of The World. It's your call sometimes its not your car but the people driving from the south that don't have the vehicle that can make it to the top. Snowshoe should be plowing and throwing stone early Saturday to get everyone up here. Take your time this weekend is suppose to be a winter wonderland!

February 2, 2020
169 posts

Update: I followed Waze and ended up going to I-81, Staunton and then state road 250. There are some twisty, turny mountain roads on 250.  Luckily, I was the one only car on 250 for a long stretch, so it was less nerve wrecking since I did not feel pressured to keep up the speed.  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 3, 2020
3,246 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

Update: I followed Waze and ended up going to I-81, Staunton and then state road 250. There are some twisty, turny mountain roads on 250.  Luckily, I was the one only car on 250 for a long stretch, so it was less nerve wrecking since I did not feel pressured to keep up the speed.  

Were you driving on US250 in the dark or in daylight?

wgo
February 3, 2020
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Yeah, even by the standards of twisty mountain roads in VA and WV, 250 is pretty twisty. I've gotten used to is because it is the fastest way to Snowshoe from Charlottesville but my first couple times on it were certainly interesting (esp. at night).

February 3, 2020 (edited February 3, 2020)
169 posts

marzNC wrote:

Were you driving on US250 in the dark or in daylight?

Day light, of course.  This road I would not drive at night or snowy condition.  

I hit the road at 5:11 am on Sat. morning, arrived to the Shoe around 10am.

wgo wrote:

Yeah, even by the standards of twisty mountain roads in VA and WV, 250 is pretty twisty. I've gotten used to is because it is the fastest way to Snowshoe from Charlottesville but my first couple times on it were certainly interesting (esp. at night).

Maybe that's why I was the only car on 250 that morning. I'd expect more cars considering it was MLK weekend. I consider that as blessing in disguise.  

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?