Beware the epic 4 day pass
5 posts
4 users
3k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 7, 2019 (edited March 7, 2019)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Last spring I bought an epic 4-day pass for 2018/19.  The wording on their web page at that time was that the holder got 4 days at ”˜each and every’ Vail resort, followed by a list of all the names.  My understanding of that was, 4 days at each.  Today, a powder day at Kirkwood, I was denied lift access because their understanding was that you get 4 days total at all of them.  I have already skied 3 days at beaver creek and one at Kirkwood so today would have been 5 days total at epic resorts.  No amount of protesting with the lift line attendant nor the ticket office did any good.  I just got off the phone with Vail resorts and was similarly denied any satisfaction for their deceptive advertising.  I let all of these people know that they have lost an epic customer - permanently.  The wording on the web page for 2019/20 is more clear.  But my advice is be very careful buying any epic pass.  Read all the fine print, and even then you may not be getting what you think.

Shotmaker
March 7, 2019
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

Denis-

I love Kirkwood! That said when I lived in south shore it was the place to go. Sorry to hear about the wording that caused you being denied the opportunity to ski. I don't know where you live exactly but whatever close home mountain that you might find yourself at more often than not should be your base pass add the all encompassing IKON or EPIC so you can do the destinations time and $ willing.

It sounds like you might be retired so you have opportunities to travel and ski. Don't let the incident tarnish your decision which home/destination would work out best for you. I read one of you posts about your double knee replacement. Keep on keeping on as long as you can and enjoy each day on the snow!

snow.buck
Member since 12/12/2009 🔗
202 posts

Denis wrote:

...4 days at ”˜each and every’ Vail resort, followed by a list of all the names.  My understanding of that was, 4 days at each. ...

4 days at each of 25 resorts = 100 days of lift tickets??? THAT's what you thought???

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

snow.buck wrote:

Denis wrote:

...4 days at ”˜each and every’ Vail resort, followed by a list of all the names.  My understanding of that was, 4 days at each. ...

4 days at each of 25 resorts = 100 days of lift tickets??? THAT's what you thought???

Yes, that would be the upper limit, but I wasn’t Thinking of it that way.  I’d never manage to hit all 25.  That would be too much like work.  I’d plan on Kirkwood, North Star and Heavenly.  That would be a maximum of 12.  Then the trip to beaver creek with a group for 4 more.  So 16 at most.  

I turned in my IKON pass for the insurance after the second knee surgery, not knowing how long it might take to return to skiing.  I’ve just bought next season’s IKON after verifying that it is honored for spring skiing this year from April 8 until closing date which is planned for July 7.  For my money Squaw and mammoth have the best terrain in California and by far the longest seasons.  This makes the Ikon the best pass for California skiers if you can have only one.

i have an unrestricted Sierra-at-Tahoe pass which cost $129 at my age.

bob
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

snow.buck wrote:

Denis wrote:

The terms seem pretty clear:

"Unlike lift tickets or an Epic Day Card, the Epic 4-Day is a season pass. Use your 4 days at any resort at any time of the season. The dates do not need to be consecutive!" ...

• After all 4 days are used on the Epic 4-Day, the pass holder is eligible for the Advance Lift Ticket rate.

https://www.epicpass.com/passes/epic-4-day.aspx

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.