A Basin Pulls out of Epic Pass Starting 2019/2020 Season
8 posts
5 users
2k+ views
bob
February 18, 2019
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/arapahoe-basin-ski-area-vail-resorts-end-pass-partnership/

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 18, 2019
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Be interesting to see if A-Basin sets up any partnerships for 2019-20.  Perhaps the Powder Alliance?  Or the Power Pass?

Didn't realize the partnership between Vail Resorts and A-Basin goes back 20 years.  A lot has changed in the ski industry.

oldensign - DCSki Columnist
February 19, 2019
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

20 years I am curious why they are dropping out now? Maybe not enough Epic pass revenue?  They have recently upgrade the base lodge area, added more terrian and another lift so I dont think that is true.

If anyone can go solo in this market they probally can.  

Reisen
February 19, 2019
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

It sounded like crowding to me.  I'd be really curious to see how Vail shares Epicpass revenue.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 21, 2019
3,246 posts

A little bit of history in this Colorado article about how A-Basin came to be in partnership with Vail Resorts.  Probably old news to folks near Denver.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/arapahoe-basin-ending-its-epic-pass-pact-with-vail-resorts-unlikely-to-join-ikon-pass/

" . . .

the original pass partnership with Vail Resorts was inked in 1997. Keystone, Arapahoe Basin and Breckenridge were owned by one company, and that company merged with Vail Resorts.

“In the process of that merger being approved, the Department of Justice forced a divestiture of A-Basin, so we were sold out of that larger resort group,”

. . ."

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
March 4, 2019
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

I wouldn't call it a partnership but I heard repeatedly that A-basib and Loveland would be offering free days with each other next year.

The list of free days included in the Loveland pass was amazing this year. adding A-basin would be a coup indeed.  (I used all three of my days each at Monarch, SkiCooper, and Purgatory this year.  Wish I could have made it to Idaho, Montana and BC as there were literally dozens of free days available with the LL pass.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 4, 2019
3,246 posts

kemperski wrote:

I wouldn't call it a partnership but I heard repeatedly that A-basib and Loveland would be offering free days with each other next year.

The list of free days included in the Loveland pass was amazing this year. adding A-basin would be a coup indeed.  (I used all three of my days each at Monarch, SkiCooper, and Purgatory this year.  Wish I could have made it to Idaho, Montana and BC as there were literally dozens of free days available with the LL pass.

Loveland was part of the Powder Alliance.  Seems to me that would be a good fit for A-Basin.  Assuming that the A-Basin and LL season pass prices are comparable for 2019-20.  Then people would choose based on where they want to ski the most, not just on price.  And get 3 days at the other ski area down the road, plus all the Powder Alliance locations.

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
March 4, 2019
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

Loveland to Lenawee Gondola!!!   The Awesomeness Pass.   With midway unloading on the Professor

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?