Stay cool.
Home
Snowshoe First Flakes
41 posts from 15 users
Updated 4 hours ago
Jump to Newest Post
one month ago

Not exactly a powder day but it beats the hell out of 80 and humid.

Denis - DCSki Supporter
one month ago

I wondered if there would be any wraparound snow in the WV highlands as michael went up the coast.  I remember how great the skiing was after Sandy, which dumped 3-4 feet in Canaan Valley.  You had to climb it of course and stay in motels with no power or heat.  Backcountry fanatics came from all over the east to get it.  

All respect to those who suffer tragedy in these storms.  I have donated to Red Cross.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
one month ago

Sure doesn’t look like mid-October!  A little video on SkiSE.

http://www.skisoutheast.com/first-snowfall-season-caught-snowshoe-mountain-morning/

25 days ago

Snowshoe moved some portable fan guns out on to skidder and other places today and it’s snowing there now. Looks like tomorrow is supposed to be below freezing all day too…wonder if they will fire up the system or if they will wait until after Halloween?

25 days ago

Snowing hard at SnowshoeMtn.com right now!  Anybody know if the 90+/- new stick guns that arrived just recently have been installed?

MorganB

aka The Colonel

25 days ago

The Colonel wrote:

Anybody know if the 90+/- new stick guns that arrived just recently have been installed?

Last weekend I noticed many of the stick guns on upper Cupp had been removed. 

25 days ago

Bonzski wrote:

The Colonel wrote:

Anybody know if the 90+/- new stick guns that arrived just recently have been installed?

Are you referring to the new stick guns installed last year, or a pile of the new this year stick guns awaiting installation?

25 days ago

The Colonel wrote:

Bonzski wrote:

The Colonel wrote:

Are you referring to the new stick guns installed last year, or a pile of the new this year stick guns awaiting installation?

Standing on Westridge rd, looking up & down Cupp there were only 2 or 3 stick guns remaining, all others had been taken down. I assume the newest guns are going in.

24 days ago

Bonzski wrote:

The Colonel wrote:

Bonzski wrote:

The Colonel wrote:

Standing on Westridge rd, looking up & down Cupp there were only 2 or 3 stick guns remaining, all others had been taken down. I assume the newest guns are going in.

That doesn’t make much sense. No reason to take out the recent Million + dollar investment 

24 days ago

Anybody know what is going on?  Were any of the new fan guns installed on Cupp?  

17 days ago

Snowshoe appears to be playing with their snow guns near Ballhooter this afternoon.

16 days ago

Ken probably loaded the snowlogic app on his phone so he can play games from home.

16 days ago

Most resorts fire-up their snowmaking system at the end of Oct beginning Nov to pressure test and/or adjusting automation. (drum up their season passes..;-)  Not sure about SS but I believe they will further automate its snowmaking and install even more powerful tower mounted fan guns.  To automate its snowmaking system many guns need to be replaced to be able to do automation. Only one explanation for removing last year’s stick guns.  They will go somewhere else on the mountain.  New guns/automation can reduce power by almost 80% and optimize its snowmaking. 

15 days ago

SwissMountain wrote:

“Most resorts fire-up their snowmaking system at the end of Oct beginning Nov to pressure test and/or adjusting automation. (drum up their season passes..;-)  Not sure about SS but I believe they will further automate its snowmaking and install even more powerful tower mounted fan guns.  To automate its snowmaking system many guns need to be replaced to be able to do automation. Only one explanation for removing last year’s stick guns.  They will go somewhere else on the mountain.  New guns/automation can reduce power by almost 80% and optimize its snowmaking.”

Too bad  COO Frank DeBerry left, one of his strengths was keeping his customers in the know!

i wonder if the new stick guns arrived too late to be installed??

MorganB

aka The Colonel

15 days ago

There was a Facebook post last Friday saying that all the new stick guns were installed.

As for the location of the new ones and why they removed some from upper cupp, they had the below post as a response.

“In several places, but largely on Shay’s Revenge as well as “The X” (Hootenanny and Flume). We moved some of the slightly older ones from Upper Cupp down to the botom of Shay’s and replaced them with the new ones, which are better suited to combat the wind up there.”

15 days ago

rbrtlav wrote:

There was a Facebook post last Friday saying that all the new stick guns were installed.

As for the location of the new ones and why they removed some from upper cupp, they had the below post as a response.

“In several places, but largely on Shay’s Revenge as well as “The X” (Hootenanny and Flume). We moved some of the slightly older ones from Upper Cupp down to the botom of Shay’s and replaced them with the new ones,

which are better suited to combat the wind up there.”

Where are they posting on Facebook?

15 days ago

The Colonel wrote:

Where are they posting on Facebook?

They are very active on social media.  below are links to their offical social media accounts

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

15 days ago

Active on social medial, and very responsive to questions. I have asked for estimated dates for trail openings, etc, on twitter several times over the past couple seasons and they have always been willing to respond (and have usually been right).

15 days ago

But that was under the refreshing leadership of “customer comes first” Frank DeBerry, now COO at another AltriaWest Coast ski resort.  Hopefully the yet announced future Snowshoe COO will follow in DeBerry’s mold and not the mold of some previous Snowshoe COOs who, in my opinion, seemed to put maximizing profit ahead of customer concerns” .  DeBerry ran the Shoe as an entity with multiple related cohesive parts, all for the common good; versus the apparent style of some previous COOs that each part was a profit making entity to themselves.

The Colonel

wgo wrote:

Active on social medial, and very responsive to questions. I have asked for estimated dates for trail openings, etc, on twitter several times over the past couple seasons and they have always been willing to respond (and have usually been right).

11 days ago

Social media has become way more important in the time frank has been there. I have been to 4 of the 6 ex-intrawest resorts and all of them are very active on Facebook and winter park even has a daily blog they use for lift status. I’m pretty optimistic the social media communication is here to stay. Time will tell how much of the master plan frank and his team put together will get funded by Alterra, but I see no reason to worry about change at this point. 

Frank did a great job at Snowshoe, but he earned the opportunity to lead Crystal and it sounds like the move is not only a promotion for him, but also a bettter fit for his family. 

9 days ago

An inch fell Friday eve and they were testing new fan guns all over the mountain including on Shays.

9 days ago

Where did they put the new stick guns?  Have they tested them l?

9 days ago

Per the Boathouse Cam as of 4 pm, they appear to be doing some work on water/air lines to the right of Ballhooter Lift base. Testing likely revealed a leak. Testing is paying off.

4 days ago

Guns are blasting full bore at Snowshoe tight now, 4:07 pm, 10 November.

4 days ago

Looks like a winter wonderland on the cams this morning!

4 days ago

That does look good.  Nominal opening is 10 days away (nov. 21).  It would be a nice change to have a strong on time start.  Kudos to them. 

4 days ago

It looks like there is a bit of a warm up this afternoon into monday, but the forecast from Tuesday until the scheduled opening looks pretty good.

I’m wondering if 7 Springs will try and open next weekend. I know they usually aim for around thanksgiving, but depending on staffing they could probably open earlier.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
4 days ago

Massanutten started up their snowguns last night.  Don’t remember ever having a reason to check the Mnut Snow Conditions webpage this early.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
3 days ago

The opening date for Snowshoe is being featured on the weekly update to All Access members of OpenSnow.  Feels like the power of Alterra marketing.  The link goes directly to the online calendar for buying discounted lift tickets in advance for particular dates.  For the first non-holiday week of January prices for Mon-Thu $47-55 and $71-76 for Sat-Sun.  As of mid-Nov, prices for Fri & Sat of MLK weekend are $94, meaning $11 off the window price.

yesterday

Wow, that $4MM Snowshoe pumped into snow making is paying off big time.  They can really crank out the snow when the temps are cold.  Looks like snow making temps every night for the wext week.

Here’s a little time lapse of some Man Made Cheat Mountain Magic going on today.

yesterday

Sucks when even Massanutten gets the temps that far south, but ST resorts are still too warm.

Oh well, at least there will be 7S.

23 hours ago

Any guesstimates on how many runs will be open by the 21st? (at Snowshoe)

23 hours ago

OrangePeels wrote:

I thought I read a reply to that question on their instagram acct that said at least 10.  That was several days ago.

21 hours ago

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

OrangePeels wrote:

I thought I read a reply to that question on their instagram acct that said at least 10.  That was several days ago.

Hmmm… thanks, Don. Now I’ve got to decide whether or not that’s worth the 4+ hour drive…

20 hours ago

I think I saw spruce, gandy dancer, a park, skidder and whatever combination of greens they run from heisler to get you to both ballhooter and powder monkey lifts. I suspect that puts you decently close to 10 trails. 

It looks like they have already started working the soaring eagle X trails, So I suspect that lift won’t be much after opening. And then next up will hopefully be western 

15 hours ago

Anybody else notice that Snowshoe has also aggressively been making snow at the Silver Creek area.  I think that is something new this early in the snowmaking season. Kudos!!

MorganB

6 hours ago

The Colonel wrote:

Anybody else notice that Snowshoe has also aggressively been making snow at the Silver Creek area.  I think that is something new this early in the snowmaking season. Kudos!!

MorganB

Yes.  I also think they are making snow on Widomaker…tough to say for sure from the Shavers lake camera view.  Snowmaking investments paying off early!

5 hours ago

Bonzski wrote:

The Colonel wrote:

MorganB

Yes.  I also think they are making snow on Widomaker…tough to say for sure from the Shavers lake camera view.  Snowmaking investments paying off early!

Awesome to see them making snow at Silver Creek and I’m hoping they will have Soaring Eagle open, too

5 hours ago

Bonzski wrote:

Yes.  I also think they are making snow on Widomaker…

Well I’m sure that will be very nice … IF YOUR A RACER

Maybe it’s time for me to buy some spandex,   do they make expandex?

5 hours ago

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Wow, that $4MM Snowshoe pumped into snow making is paying off big time.  They can really crank out the snow when the temps are cold.  Looks like snow making temps every night for the wext week.

Here’s a little time lapse of some Man Made Cheat Mountain Magic going on today.

Great resource, bookmarked. Best opening ever I’m guessin, there must be a lot of excitement up there.   I see snowflakes right now.  

4 hours ago

kemperski wrote:

Bonzski wrote:

Yes.  I also think they are making snow on Widomaker…

Well I’m sure that will be very nice … IF YOUR A RACER

Maybe it’s time for me to buy some spandex,   do they make expandex?

Spandex on an AT setup gets you under the rope!  As well as chaffing.

Ad: Canaan Valley Resort

Sharpen your edges. And pencils.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.22 seconds