October 11, 2018
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

https://www.flytaosair.com/

Norsk
October 11, 2018
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts

Love it.  That Taos airport must be like going to Wings.

Presumably the resort company is subsidizing this?  Trying to show American Airlines that there is demand on this route, I would think.

bob
October 11, 2018
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

I suspect the Wings airport looks like Dulles in comparison to Taos.

lkillick
October 11, 2018
Member since 03/14/2018 🔗
13 posts

Hah! Love this. Well, getting to Dallas (or Austin for that matter) is pretty inexpensive on Southwest from this area. I hope this goes well for them.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 11, 2018
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Norsk wrote:

Love it.  That Taos airport must be like going to Wings.

Presumably the resort company is subsidizing this?  Trying to show American Airlines that there is demand on this route, I would think.

Not necessarily.  There is a company that provides a similar service from NYC to Stowe.  Flies out of Westchester.

https://www.flytradewind.com/tradewind-shuttle/northeast/stowe/

Texans drive to Angel Fire and Red River all the time.  Upgrading the ski school and adding the little pulse gondola to the main base makes TSV a lot more convenient for parents willing to pay to stay at the relatively new Blake hotel.  The Blake is owned by TSV, unlike the other lodging right at the base.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 11, 2018
3,246 posts

lkillick wrote:

Hah! Love this. Well, getting to Dallas (or Austin for that matter) is pretty inexpensive on Southwest from this area. I hope this goes well for them.

Yeah, but flying to Albuquerque and taking a 3-hr shuttle to TSV is pretty straightforward.  Although I prefer to rent a car.  Much easier drive than going from Denver to Vail or Aspen.

lkillick
October 11, 2018
Member since 03/14/2018 🔗
13 posts

Depends on dates, I'm sure. The only nonstop to ABQ that I see from the DC area on Southwest is out of BWI, and is about $500 roundtrip on the days I was using for comparison. Roundtrip on the same dates to Dallas was $250. For another $150, I'd prob skip the drive and rental car, myself. Ideally one could get better rates than I found direct to ABQ. I might even consider flying another airline, /gasp. I do love Southwest...

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 11, 2018 (edited October 11, 2018)
3,246 posts

Got curious.  For my January dates that is for MLK Week, price for Taos Air  round trip from Dallas Love Field would be $400 non-refundable for flying Sat-Sat, $838 refundable.  Same price for Sat-Sat for the first week of Feb.  Flights leave Dallas at 3:00pm.  For the return, flights leave TSM at 9:56am, arriving at Love Field at 12:32pm.  Free shuttle from Taos Regional Airport to TSV, which is about 30 min away with clear roads.

Flights are not daily.  Looked geared to a full week or a long weekend that starts on a Thursday.  It's about 700 miles to drive from Dallas to TSV.  I could see people who live in the Dallas area being willing to pay $400 to save a full day of driving.

WHAT IS TAOS AIR?

Taos Air offers individual seats on a public charter air service to and from Dallas-Love Field (DAL) and Austin International (AUS) airports to Taos Regional Airport.   Taos Air offers no baggage fees for up to two bags, free changes made at least 24-hours in advance, late check-in up to 30 minutes before time of departure.  Taos Transportation, an affiliate of Taos Air, will provide passengers with complimentary ground transportation between Taos Regional Airport and Taos Ski Valley.

WHAT TYPE OF PLANE WILL I BE ON?

A Dornier 328 jet equipped with thirty (30) passenger seats.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.