First week of April out west
20 posts
7 users
2k+ views
wgo
October 8, 2018
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Trying to arrange a trip out west to take advantage of our ikon passes (2 adults and 2 kids). Will not be until first week of April. Which western resorts on the Ikon pass are most likely (based on elevation, exposure, etc) to have good conditions during this time?

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 8, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Deer valley, snowbird/Alta, 

rbrtlav
October 8, 2018 (edited October 8, 2018)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I did winter park april 2-7 2018 and had an absolute blast. Mary Jane is the favorite terrain I've ever skied and I had fresh snow 3 of 5 days. Including the largest powder day winter park had all season. The village there remided me of a larger version of Snowshoe, and I will likely be going back in early April 2019 because I had such a great time. I just booked a shuttle from the aiport and there was a free bus service to get downtown. 

I think Winter Park has kept the Mary Jane side open into may for the last few season, and the rest of the resort open until late April.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 9, 2018
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

wgo wrote:

Trying to arrange a trip out west to take advantage of our ikon passes (2 adults and 2 kids). Will not be until first week of April. Which western resorts on the Ikon pass are most likely (based on elevation, exposure, etc) to have good conditions during this time?

I'll be at Alta Lodge that week, if you are thinking of April 1-7.  Added the Ikon to the MCP recently.  Fully intend to spend a day at Deer Valley before it closes on April 7.  I've been skiing Alta/Snowbird in April for the last ten years, ranging from the first week to the third week when Easter is late.  Best powder day was on April 15 a few years ago . . . 25 inches in the morning and another 9-10 inches during the day.  Of course, impossible to predict exactly what will happen in a given week.

Alta and Snowbird are the most reliable but Solitude and Brighton also do well in late season.  Often have people driving over from Park City because of too much melt and warmed there.  That includes people who live there as well as travelers on vacation.

Do you want to stay slopeside or save a little and drive in the mornings and afternoons?  Snowbird often has deals during late season.  I imagine Solitude does too.  Either way although it's possible to just stay in a canyon and focus on skiing, it's better to have a car for more flexibility in case the family wants to do something else one day.

For more than you need to know about Alta.  Scroll down to find the tabs for Lodging, Terrain, etc.  There is info about Snowbird too.

https://www.snowpak.com/utah/salt-lake-city/alta

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 9, 2018
3,245 posts

I went to Aspen/Snowmass in late March a few years ago.  First day was good at Snowmass a day or two after a storm.  But it got really warm the next two days.  By the third day, even Aspen Highlands was too warm mid-mountain by lunch time.  I think it was in the 60s when we gave up around 2:30pm.  Did the 1pm free mountain host tour.  Learned a lot and then had a guide for how to get to the base with the least effort.

Would you consider flying to Canada?  Banff can be good late season.  The family from Delaware who went to a couple DCSki Gatherings has gone there in late season the last two years.

wgo
October 9, 2018 (edited October 9, 2018)
1,666 posts

It had escaped my notice that Alta was on Ikon now. So that is certainly something to consider. If Winter Park is viable that might be where we are leaning since logistically that might be the easiest to manage. I guess it depends on whether I can get a better deal on a flight to Denver or SLC, whether we can avoid renting a car, etc. Really, everything is up on the air. All depends on what deals I can find on transportation and lodging. Any sort of airfare "price alert" services I should know about?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 9, 2018
3,245 posts

wgo wrote:

It had escaped my notice that Alta was on Ikon now. So that is certainly something to consider. If Winter Park is viable that might be where we are leaning since logistically that might be the easiest to manage. I guess it depends on whether I can get a better deal on a flight to Denver or SLC, whether we can avoid renting a car, etc. Really, everything is up on the air. All depends on what deals I can find on transportation and lodging. Any sort of airfare "price alert" services I should know about?

Flights to Denver will always be cheaper than SLC.  So have to take into account the travel cost and logistics to get to the ski resort of interest from the airport.  I know a lot more about skiing in Utah than Colorado.  Prefer flying to SLC for assorted reasons, including the somewhat lower altitude at the base compared to most Colorado ski resorts.  As long as I can make my connection, never a weather issue at SLC airport.  No direct flights by Southwest from RDU.  Made even more difference when my ski trips out west were for 4-5 days of skiing instead of 7+ with the option of going a day or two early just to help with altitude adjustment before the more adventurous skiing started.

Alta/Snowbird is a combined destination for Ikon.  Meaning for Ikon Base, get 5 days total, not 5 at each.  Haven't heard yet whether that means it's like the Alta/Bird combo pass where you can ski both places in the same day by crossing over via Mineral Basin when that's open.  That was the case for the first few years of the MCP.  Now the MCP is 2 days each separately, but if staying at Alta or Snowbird, it's possible use the MCP for lifts at one place most of the day and ski back to the other for free after 3pm.

A spring lodging deal at Snowbird usually includes lift tickets, but I would think for people with Ikon or MCP there might be consideration given.  Note that for a family of four, the cost of round trip shuttle from SLC airport can be more than renting a 2WD car for a week.  One option is to reserve a car and cancel if lucky enough to arrive on a powder day.  It's possible to get from the airport to LCC via public transportation, but would take a while.  I usually take the early morning flight that arrives around 11am and go skiing in the afternoon after lunch at Alta Lodge.  The PM ticket options start at 1:00 or 2:30.  Collins and Sunnyside stay open until 4:30.  Snowbird has a few base lifts that stay open until 4:30 too.

My ski trips out west are based on flying Southwest.  The ability to change dates for free and check two bags for free outweighs any other considerations.  Have extended last season trips to check a powder day more than once in the last 10 years.  The national sale was last week.  But prices to SLC the first week of April are still pretty low.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 9, 2018
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

duplucating some of MARZNC's post:

If you're using IKON then WP/Copper and AltaBird are two of your best April bets.   I think Southwest just had a fare sale about a week ago.  Airfare to SLC may be more than Denver, but you can rent an econo car (likely all you'll need in Apr or else catch bus) and stay in a cheap motel in the suburbs like Crystal Inn and easy daily commute.  Airfare to Denver may be less, but lodging is often more expensive, although you might get a good deal around Winter Park or Copper due to it being April.   WP and Copper are not as close together as AltaBird if commuting from one base.

You could get free guiding at Snowbird as I hope to be there all April ;-)

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 9, 2018
3,245 posts

JimK wrote:

You could get free guiding at Snowbird as I hope to be there all April ;-)

I'll keep your schedule in mind.  Doing another Taos Ski Week this winter.  Might be able to keep up with your son a bit better.  :-)

My ski buddy, Bill, and I will be at Alta Lodge by April 2.  I'm staying longer than usual because Easter is so late and I have friends coming and going until closing day April 21.

Planning on using Ikon a Deer Valley and Solitude the first week of April.  DV closes on April 7.  Bill hasn't been in Honeycomb Canyon yet.  We went to Solitude with friends, including a local who used to be a Solitude host, during mid-season a few years ago.  But it was one of those times with low snow so going into the Canyon wasn't worth the effort.  Plus that was before the Summit lift was upgraded to a high-speed lift.

wgo
October 9, 2018
1,666 posts

JimK wrote:

I think Southwest just had a fare sale about a week ago.

I believe the SW sale last week was for travel thru the first 6 weeks of 2019, so it wouldn't have helped with an april trip...

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 9, 2018
3,245 posts

wgo wrote:

JimK wrote:

I think Southwest just had a fare sale about a week ago.

I believe the SW sale last week was for travel thru the first 6 weeks of 2019, so it wouldn't have helped with an april trip...

The Southwest schedule thru April 5 has been available for a while.  The price for my flight out on April 2 from RDU is the same this week as it was last week during the sale.  I booked a couple other flights on SW last week for mid-season trips.  For those dates, it was more important to catch the sale price.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 9, 2018
3,245 posts

Southwest in the midst of another sale Oct. 9-11.  I just booked my flights to SLC from RDU for about $20 less than the price in late Sept. for April 2.  Same price for my return on April 20, which is the price I saw late last week.  April 21 is Easter Sunday and is Closing Day for Alta Lodge and probably the other three seasonal lodges at Alta.  The new expanded Snowpine is going to operate year round.

For Alta Lodge, Spring Season for 2018 is April 7-21.  That means kids 12 and under are free, instead of $75 per day when staying in the same room as parent(s).  I took advantage of my daughter being free during late season for a few years (ages 8, 10-12).  My friend and her two kids are going to take advantage of Kids Stay Free again since their spring break is the week of April 15.  Last season their spring break was too early.  They still went to Alta Lodge but booked a dorm room (bunk bed, twin) as a private room to keep the lodging cost down.  I know a family of four that takes the same approach.  Same great food included (breakfast, dinner) and ambiance. :-)

rbrtlav
October 10, 2018 (edited October 10, 2018)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I got an email that winter park is running a 30% lodging for Ikon passholders if booked by 10/23. Their cancellation policy isn’t horrible if something comes up...I think it’s a $100 cancellation fee up until 3 weeks in advance. I found some pretty affordable lodging there that is slope side or easy walking distance 

wgo
October 11, 2018
1,666 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

I got an email that winter park is running a 30% lodging for Ikon passholders if booked by 10/23. Their cancellation policy isn’t horrible if something comes up...I think it’s a $100 cancellation fee up until 3 weeks in advance. I found some pretty affordable lodging there that is slope side or easy walking distance 

Looking at it now - the place I am looking at is 200 yards from the slopes. I guess that qualifies as easy walking distance depending on the walking route...

lkillick
October 11, 2018 (edited October 11, 2018)
Member since 03/14/2018 🔗
13 posts

I skied very happily at Squaw/Alpine April 24-25th last year. Alpine closed shortly thereafter, for Squaw to focus their attention on the one mountain, but the morning-midday conditions on the higher Squaw territories were still fantastic. It was a great trip at a great value. Felt like a zombie town.

I'll have a break at a similar time of year this Spring, so it is nice to hear about possible options... Mary Jane had been on my list as well.

wgo
October 12, 2018
1,666 posts

Just booked a condo at Winter Park (Fraser Pointe/Founders Crossing) for 3/31 thru 4/5, taking advantage of the 30% off deal for IKON passholders. Still need to work on finding flights, but at least the lodging is done.

This week I also booked lodging for the first weekend in February at Snowshoe (taking advantage of the flurry of savings), as well as at a motel in Rutland VT for a few days at Killington Dec 20-22. I have never booked lodging this far in advance but when you are trying to stretch your ski vacation dollars for a family of 4 every little bit helps.

superguy
October 16, 2018
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Nice thing about Solitude is that it was notoriously uncrowded - even on holidays.  Plus you could hit Solitude during the day and Brighton for some night runs.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 17, 2018
3,245 posts

superguy wrote:

Nice thing about Solitude is that it was notoriously uncrowded - even on holidays.  Plus you could hit Solitude during the day and Brighton for some night runs.

When were you last at Solitude?  Not sure, but after the lift upgrade to make the Summit high speed and being bought by Deer Valley, and now Alterra, might well be more travelers than a few years ago.  Not like Alta and Snowbird, but longer lines in LCC did make some people think twice about where to go on a powder day.

superguy
November 1, 2018
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

It's been awhile. I may be getting a work trip out to UT for next month, so I will update report in that case.

I always liked that BCC was more of the locals' areas. Everyone else can keep PC, DV, BCC, and Snowbasin. :D

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 1, 2018
3,245 posts

superguy wrote:

It's been awhile. I may be getting a work trip out to UT for next month, so I will update report in that case.

I always liked that BCC was more of the locals' areas. Everyone else can keep PC, DV, BCC, and Snowbasin. :D

Brighton will stay a local's area for sure.  Especially for the night session since all the local teens and young adults can just hope the UTA bus to get up BCC.

Harder to say how Solitude will evolve.  There isn't that much lodging at the base, but enough to make it a good destination for families with younger kids who don't have a reason to get an Epic Pass just to ski Park City.  Even more attractive now that Solitude is on Ikon.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.