Cross your t's, not your ski tips.
Home
Establishment of the Snow Sports Museum of West Viorginia
13 posts from 8 users
Updated 2 months ago
1,204 views
Jump to Newest Post
2 months ago
2 months ago

I wanted to let you all know that we have begun the process of creating the first snow sports museum south of the Mason/Dixon in the Canaan Valley area or Davis WV.  This was where the SCWDC first operated a ski are called “Driftland” on what is known as Cabin Mountain just south of the existing Weiss Knob or Canaan Valley Resort Ski Area.  I will post more as we announce our events for publicity and fundraising.  

2 months ago

Good luck with your efforts. I’ll be a visitor when it opens.

2 months ago

What a wonderful idea!  Anything we as individual skiers, or ski club, do to facilitate this effort?

2 months ago

Timberline may become eligible for your museum very soon……

 

kwillg6 wrote:

I wanted to let you all know that we have begun the process of creating the first snow sports museum south of the Mason/Dixon in the Canaan Valley area or Davis WV.  This was where the SCWDC first operated a ski are called “Driftland” on what is known as Cabin Mountain just south of the existing Weiss Knob or Canaan Valley Resort Ski Area.  I will post more as we announce our events for publicity and fundraising.

 

2 months ago

I really really really hate to say this but if you want to have a successful museum then I would put it at Snowshoe.   If you want one in that area i would try to put it in BWF state park  (better).  Bottom line go where the proople are..    Either way I will visit.  

2 months ago

The idea is to put in as close a proximity as possible to the original ski area.  Snowshoe was circa 1972 a full 20 years after Cabin Mountain.  Doc Bingham had a good idea in bankrolling the shoe but it’s not as significant in skiing  history as was Canaan Valley.  The museum will include all ski areas in WV and we are planning to add board members representing them in the future.  

2 months ago

yeah yeah we we’ve all read the history.  Vail is not the birthplace of American skiing and not the location of Camp Hale. but it has the musiems - because it has the tourists.   What are you thinking about funding ?

2 months ago

A cool place could be where Blackwater Bikes is currently located in Davis. They are building a new shop across the street soon, and that store front will be open to lease. High tourist traffic area for sure in downtown Davis. 

here is a classic Driftland video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrwlYpKMLa8

-

 

2 months ago

pagamony wrote:

yeah yeah we we’ve all read the history.  Vail is not the birthplace of American skiing and not the location of Camp Hale. but it has the musiems - because it has the tourists.   What are you thinking about funding ?

Snowshoe might have more traffic in the winter but seriously Tucker County is a busy 3-1/2 season tourist destination, plus there are two lost ski areas. 

2 months ago

ok, fine.  I did write or BWF.     Will someone put a historical maker in front of Timberline ?

2 months ago

I knew you would relent. Wonder what the historical marker should say? Maybe a monument would be more appropriate?

Denis - DCSki Supporter
2 months ago

chaga wrote:

A cool place could be where Blackwater Bikes is currently located in Davis. They are building a new shop across the street soon, and that store front will be open to lease. High tourist traffic area for sure in downtown Davis. 

here is a classic Driftland video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrwlYpKMLa8 

‘Thanks for posting.  That video brings back a flood of memories of learning to ski in New England in the 1950s.  It was not easy with the equipment of the day and no grooming or snowmaking.  It was amazing fun and you learned to laugh when falling, as well.

-

 

 

Ad: Canaan Valley Resort

Shout it from a mountaintop.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.20 seconds