Parallel universes
1 post
1 user
1k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 19, 2018
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

miracle March continues on both coasts.  A 4 day storm dropped 100” on the Sierra crest this past week.  Another storm is predicted to drop 2-4’ late this week.  I skied in the powder all 4 of those days, Squaw, Kirkwood, Sierra-at-Tahoe, and Alpine Meadows.  Day 3 at Sierra was epic, possibly my best powder day ever.  It was deeeep and light.  After a couple runs snow intensity increased and it became a white out.  The lift stopped and I hung for 30 minutes watching a group of young snowboarders downed under the lift line, which is off piste.  The pitch decreased, they bogged down, fell, and couldn’t get out.  There was a constant string of loudly yelled F bombs.   If they got out of their bindings, they were neck deep.  Then they couldn’t get back in.   If they managed to get upright while on the board, they’d hop desperately, go a few feet downhill and fall again.  I should have yelled at them to lay on the board and swim.  I’ve seen that work.  The lift started, then stopped for another long delay, then a 3rd delay 50 feet short of the top, in the wind.  From there you take a steep blue, whose normal moguls were erased by the powder depth.  I slalomed around cratered snowboarders to return to the base.  There, I learned that downed power lines, just to the west on Hwy. 50 had closed the road.  I left, worried about being stranded.  I had the luxury of being the only car on the road in either direction and got back safely to south lake since the road was closed behind me. The next morning there were 18” with deeper drifts in My friend’s driveway.  I had to shovel, bog down, shovel again, repeat, for more than an hour to get out.  Met Daughter and Grandson at Alpine.  They had a great time but I quit after 1 run, there was nothing left in the tank.   In summary, I skied deep powder for 4 days in a row, almost all in varying degrees of snow and whiteout.  The knees feel better than when I started.  Maybe they need more ski therapy.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.