Snowshoe weather forecast this week?
23 posts
11 users
4k+ views
NonstopSki
March 7, 2018 (edited March 7, 2018)
Member since 12/24/2007 🔗
132 posts
What's your best source for forecasts with predictions of inches included? I find OnTheSnow really underwhelming. Snowshoes website is super vague ok forecast. Who do you recommend?
fishnski
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts

The best to me is to follow the models yourself...they have gotten really easy to understand over the years....
.but if you dont like schoolwork then Id go to intellicast or weatherunderground where they have personel wx stations you can follow and get a 10 day fcast that changes and evolves as the Weather Models come out but you can scent out the trends..

.but as you get closer to the event Id go right to the non hyped NWS themselves....here is the latest but since I keep up with the latest on model output I can allready see that some of their info is old like the latest  GFS is trending the sunday storm south...BOOOOO.. but its still the best info out there...sometimes you have to look up some of the wording but after awhile you will catch on to the Lingo..

Synopsis... 
upslope flow will result in snow, mainly in the northern 
mountains, tonight into Friday. Another low pressure area with 
a chance of snow and rain showers this weekend. 

&& 

Near term /through Thursday/... 
as of 108 PM Wednesday... 

Upper level shortwave and associated precipitation will 
continue to push east of the region this evening with west to 
northwest upslope flow expected to develop across the region. 

As the shortwave moves away, expect precipitation to become 
confined to the mountains tonight. Cold temperatures, sufficient 
low-level moisture and upslope flow should result in accumulating 
snow in our northern and central mountains with the greatest 
accumulations being in the favored northwest facing slopes of 
the northern mountains. 

A weak shortwave is forecast to push east by late tonight with 
another stronger wave expected tomorrow. These features are 
expected to result in a few scattered rain/snow showers even 
across some of the lowland counties. Could still see some 
accumulating snow across the higher elevations of the mountains 
on Thursday. However, amounts should be lighter than tonight and 
because of this, not planning on extending the Winter Weather 
Advisory. 

&& 

Short term /Thursday night through Saturday/... 
as of 235 PM Wednesday... 

Models showing a lobe of the upper level low rotating over 
northern/northeastern portions of the forecast area for Thursday 
night into Friday. Actually get some warming which will inhibit 
some of the auto convective/upslope flow despite a 
northwesterly wind, so system will have to rely more on upper 
level dynamics. 

A clipper then pushes moisture into southern portions of the 
forecast area for Friday night into Saturday. Could see a decent 
band of snow with this system, but there are considerable placement 
differences between models. 

&& 

Long term /Saturday night through Wednesday/... 
as of 240 PM Wednesday... 

Still a wide variety of solutions with the system for Sunday 
into Monday. GFS continues to be the furtherest north and 
strongest with the system while the Canadian and European model (ecmwf) have trended 
north, but still keep the bulk of the system south of the area. 
Will use a compromise solution while keeping a close eye on the 
situation. 

Expect a northwest upslope flow behind the system with enough 
moisture for some mountain snow on Tuesday into Wednesday. 

&& 
rbrtlav
March 7, 2018
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I find weather underground to be closest as they have a powder monkey and silver creek station available. However storms like this weekend are going to be hard to predict. I usually use weather underground to get temps and go from there. As far as driving I usually look at Moorefield, Green Bank, and Cass on weather.com so I know what to expect before I head out.

That being said, look at the webcams...my guess is between now and Monday they will get about a foot of snow, but with the temps they will be putting down more machine snow in many places than Mother Nature will provide. Should make for a nice weekend and  good conditions into next week.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 7, 2018
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Live weather 9 PM on Wed nite.

19*

Steady snow

A little windy

Every gun near ballhooter blazing.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
fishnski
3,530 posts
We are now in March and that means a stronger sun which energizes the moisture flow into heavier Snow Squalls..we had a couple roll thru Canaan Today and it looks like tomorrow will see increased Snow Squall activity...squalls and general upslope die off with the sun going down but tomorrow eve a clipper type system drops down (not really a clipper just drops down like one) and the snow will pick up with the sunset...fingers crossed for the weekend storm track...You know..I posted about the possibility of this weekends storm on the canaan Thread 4 days ago..8 days b4 the event.. but was seeing it on the long range Gfs for even further back than that....Amazing info these models have nowadays!
NonstopSki
March 8, 2018
Member since 12/24/2007 🔗
132 posts
Does Snowshoe groom 100% of all the fresh powder they get? Or do they leave any of it ungroomed for those that want to have some real fun?
Reisen
March 8, 2018 (edited March 8, 2018)
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

NonstopSki wrote:

Does Snowshoe groom 100% of all the fresh powder they get? Or do they leave any of it ungroomed for those that want to have some real fun?

They usually leave some slopes ungroomed.  That's in prime-season, so maybe late season they groom it for coverage reasons, though.

Just took a look at the webcams, and SS is reporting 6" of new snow, is still blowing (at 9:30am), and conditions look great.  We drive up tomorrow night and will be skiing at least Sat/Sun, maybe also Monday.

I was cleared yesterday by my ortho to ski, so will finally get off the bench.  Will bring my 72mm waisted east coast skis, but am also considering bringing my 99 waisted all-mountain / free rides.  What do people think?  Worth bringing the west coast ski?  Or bad idea given there may still be exposed rocks?  I have no illusions of riding the lines under lifts, so will be sticking to groomed trails.  

wgo
March 8, 2018
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Love skiing under Widowmaker lift when there is decent base, but I agree that it will be a rock-ski type of situation this weekend. Current forecasts seem to be much less optimistic about snowfall totals on Sunday/Monday but who knows. We are booked thru Monday and will ski on whatever SS has to offer!

Shotmaker
March 8, 2018
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

Reisen wrote:

NonstopSki wrote:

They usually leave some slopes ungroomed.  That's in prime-season, so maybe late season they groom it for coverage reasons, though.

Just took a look at the webcams, and SS is reporting 6" of new snow, is still blowing (at 9:30am), and conditions look great.  We drive up tomorrow night and will be skiing at least Sat/Sun, maybe also Monday.

I was cleared yesterday by my ortho to ski, so will finally get off the bench.  Will bring my 72mm waisted east coast skis, but am also considering bringing my 99 waisted all-mountain / free rides.  What do people think?  Worth bringing the west coast ski?  Or bad idea given there may still be exposed rocks?  I have no illusions of riding the lines under lifts, so will be sticking to groomed trails.  

Skied there last weekend and noticed very small surface rocks on Cupp and the basin in just a couple places.  I would have no hesitation using any of the 4 pair skies I own after the amount of snow SS and mother nature has put down.  If this weekend's storm trends north your 99's could be put to use.  Knot Bumper & Sawmill should be left alone and in great shape for some good bump skiing on your 72's if you feel your healed up enough & confident after your injury. 

wgo
March 8, 2018
1,666 posts

Awesome, love it when they let bumps on Sawmill form.

p.s. my 1000th post on DCSki! So glad to have been part of this community for the past 15 years.

Bonzski
March 8, 2018
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Reisen wrote:

NonstopSki wrote:

Bring the 99s!

Widowmaker will be closed Sat & Sun mornings until ~11am for race training.

Shotmaker
March 8, 2018
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

wgo wrote:

Awesome, love it when they let bumps on Sawmill form.

p.s. my 1000th post on DCSki! So glad to have been part of this community for the past 15 years.

Well done WGO!

March 8, 2018
1,580 posts

NonstopSki wrote:

They groomed all except sawmill and knot bumper overnight.  There was fresh snow 3 - 6 inches deep on all the blues and blacks in the basin this morning.  The green connectors did not so I assume they were groomed this am.

Pics to follow later.  It's a damn winter wonderland here.  Sun will peek out for a minute then a massive snow squall.

Cupp has TONS of coverage but they are blowing 1/2 the guns this am so you could not see.  Guns roaring all over the mountain in strategic places.

Reisen
March 8, 2018
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

Hmm, Weather Underground is calling for 3-5" today, but the Sunday snow forecast disappeared (it's down to 1 inch).  

They're now calling for sun on Saturday with a high of 35, though.  That sure beats rain!  

Looks like the snowmaking weather could continue all next week...

eggraid
March 8, 2018
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Reisen wrote:

Hmm, Weather Underground is calling for 3-5" today, but the Sunday snow forecast disappeared (it's down to 1 inch).  

They're now calling for sun on Saturday with a high of 35, though.  That sure beats rain!  

Looks like the snowmaking weather could continue all next week...

Glad to hear the temps will stay down, we were hoping to go there the last week in March, and things were looking bleak for a minute.

March 8, 2018
1,580 posts

They extended the weather advosory until 10 AM tomorrow - as much as 7 inches today / tonite.  Coming down at a good clip at 3 PM .......... and the guns are STILL blazing non stop

dwm8a
March 8, 2018
Member since 02/23/2017 🔗
55 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

They extended the weather advosory until 10 AM tomorrow - as much as 7 inches today / tonite.  Coming down at a good clip at 3 PM .......... and the guns are STILL blazing non stop

Seems like this plus a little TLC would be enough to open Shay's...

March 8, 2018
1,580 posts

Shays is toast.   Wind blown tundra near the top.  No activity at all there.

Brook
March 8, 2018
Member since 09/28/2010 🔗
58 posts

Rather wintery today  from my point of view!. https://vimeo.com/259250819

fishnski
March 8, 2018 (edited March 9, 2018)
3,530 posts

Doing the Board dance to Jimmi...u must be experienced!..love that vibe!!!....

Bonzski
March 9, 2018
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Lets hope the Euro wins gold!

https://youtu.be/g4Q8M49xYM4

wgo
March 9, 2018
1,666 posts

Local forecast from the whitegrass page:

Snowfall amounts will highly dependent on the storm track and could range from nothing to 12 inches by 7 am Monday. 

fishnski
March 9, 2018
3,530 posts

wgo wrote:

Local forecast from the whitegrass page:

Snowfall amounts will highly dependent on the storm track and could range from nothing to 12 inches by 7 am Monday. 

Awesome! ??...what about the 8 inches Canaan just recieved?...19 inches in the last week...oh..its still snowing...

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.