Snow reason not to share.
Home
2018-19 Major multi-resort passes: Epic, MCP, Ikon
10 posts from 3 users
Updated 3 months ago
Jump to Newest Post
marzNC - DCSki Supporter
3 months ago

So who got the email today that the Mountain Collective Pass (MCP) is available for $409 for 2018-19?  Almost the same line up as this season, with Big Sky replacing Telluride.

Ikon passes go on sale on March 6.  $899 for the full version and $599 for Ikon Base that makes more sense for folks living in the Mid-Atlantic.  A lot of overlap with the MCP because Ikon is a mix of Alterra resorts and “Partners” who are offering a limited number of days.  Although Deer Valley was bought by Alterra, the Ikon passes only offer limited days at DV.

Epic passes also go on sale on March 6.  As noted elsewhere, there is a new option for Military folks that is a great deal.  The other addition is that Telluride is starting a long term agreement with Vail.  The offer is a limited number of days at Telluride as a perk to Epic passholders.  From what I saw last week, it’s probably a better fit than the MCP.

3 months ago

Who is trying to decide between MCP and IKON?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
3 months ago

jimmy wrote:

Who is trying to decide between MCP and IKON?

Pretty sure I’m going to stick with the MCP.  Was seriously considering Ikon because I want to go back to Big Sky, but the MCP will cover a return to Taos and all days that I end up skiing at Alta during late season.  Takes too much travel and planning to do really well with Ikon.  Making the drive to Snowshoe is not happening.  I’m too spoiled by trips out west.

Where would you go if you got the Ikon Base?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
3 months ago

This comparison by Ski Utah is useful for people who like to ski in Utah.  Has a good table that compares the prices all the options for adults, kids, etc.

https://www.skiutah.com/blog/authors/yeti/epic-pass-ikon-pass-mountain

3 months ago

Killington. Big Sky. The MCP would be better for Utah because Snowbasin is included but I have never been to Deer Valley. I would probably get to Snowshoe for the first time in a few years. I think that free days at Kton and snowshoe might make the Ikon a better choice for me.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
3 months ago

jimmy wrote:

Killington. Big Sky. The MCP would be better for Utah because Snowbasin is included but I have never been to Deer Valley. I would probably get to Snowshoe for the first time in a few years. I think that free days at Kton and snowshoe might make the Ikon a better choice for me.

Agree that the Ikon Base is good for that combination.  Just noticed that the Pugski Gathering will be at Big Sky.

Spent a day at Killington during early season when I was in the Boston area.  Mostly just to get a feel for the place so that I can make more sense out of the trail map.  Clearly a good place to drive during late season, meaning after mid-March when most people have quit skiing even when the snow is still quite good.

I would get the Ikon if I thought I could make it up to Sunday River and Sugarloaf as part of a trip to Boston.  My daughter has one more year of school there.  But the problem is that if the snow is good because of a storm in March, the driving can be a pain.  In Jan-Feb, it’s just too cold in the NE most of the time.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
3 months ago

I know Epic passes are not as of much interest to many DCSki folks, but still worth noting that Vail just announced long term agreements for Okemo, Sunapee, and Crested Butte.  Another set of places with the same operator/owner that used to be on the MAX Pass.  Get 4/7 days depending on which Epic pass, plus 50% off additional days.

Press release on 3/14/2018

http://news.vailresorts.com/corporate/cbmr.htm

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
3 months ago

Bonzski wrote:

Lets see what Boyne names their pass

https://www.freep.com/story/money/business/2018/03/13/boyne-resorts-ski/421748002/

What Boyne Resorts has already is “Boyne Rewards.”  If you spend enough money on season passes, lift tickets, food, and so on, can even use points to buy a season pass.

Boyne has the “New England Pass” for Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf.  Those three are also part of Ikon.  Big Sky is part of Ikon and MCP.  Brighton is part of the SLC SuperPass.  The two Boyne resorts in the midwest are more or less covered by the same season pass, with 50% off on the sister location.

In case anyone cares, Crystal in the PacNW is no longer part of Boyne Resorts.  It’s solely owned by one of the Kircher brothers as of 2017.  John Kircher has been CEO of Crystal ever since he helped buy it for Boyne Resorts in 1997.

Not much will change in the short run with the change in ownership for the six ski resorts.  The question will be what capital improvements happen in the near future now that Boyne has more control.  Hopefully they also have the ability to finance a few big projects besides what is already allocated for Big Sky.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
3 months ago

For parents who are interested in the $1 MCP for a kid, best to buy soon.  That offer usually doesn’t last much past mid-April.  Only one kid MCP for each adult MCP.  First MCP price is $409.

Ad: Canaan Valley Resort

Speak truth to powder.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.20 seconds