Ski Trip Suggestions for the rest of the season?
26 posts
7 users
3k+ views
hashdefine
February 26, 2018
Member since 02/25/2018 🔗
9 posts

I am looking for some ski trip suggestions for the rest of the season.

Background: Me and my 6 year old started skiing just last year at Wintergreen (we are based in Charlottesville and have season passes) and I consider us beginner skiers. We usually warm up on the blue ridge express (Dobie etc.) and the head to the Big Acorn side of the mountain (Eagle scoop, Tyro etc).

My current (not very firm plan) is to go to Snowshoe the weekend of 9th March and the Sugarloaf Maine (or Bretton Woods) for her spring break starting March 31st. I also toyed with the idea of heading to Salt Lake City and then to Solitude for spring break instead.

The Snowshoe ridiculous pass seems like a good deal, given that we might go this year and we could probably do a couple trips next season. 

I came across the Ikon Base Pass on the forum and noticed it also includes unlimited day’s at Snowshoe starting March 6th. It also includes 5 days at Sugarloaf but only in the next season.

The only other east coast resort included for this season in the Ikon pass is Blue Mountain in Ontario.

Does anyone have any advice for a suggested course of action?

Is heading to Snowshoe that late in the season worthwhile?

Any suggestions for the spring break?

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2018
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

hashdefine wrote:

I came across the Ikon Base Pass on the forum and noticed it also includes unlimited day’s at Snowshoe starting March 6th. It also includes 5 days at Sugarloaf but only in the next season.

I may be wrong but I thought Ikon Pass was only good for NEXT season - IE not for the remainder of THIS season at Snowshoe.  The Ridiculous Pass if purchased on 3/6 is good for the rest of THIS season 

Is heading to Snowshoe that late in the season worthwhile?

If you are happy with what is open now then yes.  FWIW - We are planning on skiing what's left of SS that same weekend.

hashdefine
February 26, 2018
9 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I may be wrong but I thought Ikon Pass was only good for NEXT season - IE not for the remainder of THIS season at Snowshoe.  The Ridiculous Pass if purchased on 3/6 is good for the rest of THIS season

The Ikon Pass is good for a few places this season also. From the website:

Yes. You can use your 2018-2019 Ikon Pass or Ikon Base Pass starting March 6, 2018 at Big Bear Mountain Resort, June Mountain, Blue Mountain and Snowshoe; and starting on April 9, 2018 at Winter Park Resort, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows and Mammoth Mountain.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2018
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Thanks for setting me straight.  That's actually pretty good news for a guy skiing with us on 3/9 + 10.  He moved away last year and does not have a pass.  He was considering an Ikon Base Pass and thought he would have to buy lift tickets for the weekend.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
sohcrates
February 26, 2018
Member since 09/30/2016 🔗
12 posts

We are considering bailing on West VA and heading to Whiteface in NY in late March.

Anyone have any ideas how their season is going?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2018
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

sohcrates wrote:

We are considering bailing on West VA and heading to Whiteface in NY in late March.

Anyone have any ideas how their season is going?

Best source for firsthand info about conditions at Whiteface is in the NYSkiBlog.

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Whiteface-Conditions-td4113995i530.html

What type of terrain are you hoping for?  Blue groomers or black bumps? 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2018
3,246 posts

hashdefine wrote:

I am looking for some ski trip suggestions for the rest of the season.

Background: Me and my 6 year old started skiing just last year at Wintergreen (we are based in Charlottesville and have season passes) and I consider us beginner skiers. We usually warm up on the blue ridge express (Dobie etc.) and the head to the Big Acorn side of the mountain (Eagle scoop, Tyro etc).

My current (not very firm plan) is to go to Snowshoe the weekend of 9th March and the Sugarloaf Maine (or Bretton Woods) for her spring break starting March 31st. I also toyed with the idea of heading to Salt Lake City and then to Solitude for spring break instead.

Any suggestions for the spring break?

Well, I'll be at Alta starting the last week of March with my teen daughter, then I stay through mid-April.  A friend and her kids who are intermediate/advanced will join me the first week of April because that's their spring break.

I would not bother to travel to the northeast for spring break.  Have to go too far north to find decent conditions and it's not worth the travel time regardless of how you go.  The rains in the northeast have decreased the snowpack a lot in the last week or two.  Flying to SLC or Denver is much more likely to be a fun week.

First time I took my daughter to SLC, she was 7 and skiing blacks in the southeast thanks to Massanutten ski school.  She loved Alta.  After that, I've been going to Alta in late season pretty much every year since 2010.  Always a fun time, even in low snow years.

Are you thinking of staying at Solitude?  Know families who had a good time there.  Their kids had a good time at the ski school.  Of course, that means your daughter may become a better skier than you in no time. ;-)

Staying in SLC and driving for skiing is a reasonable idea, especially during late season.  Have you heard of the SuperPass that's good at Solitude, Brighton, and Alta?

sohcrates
February 26, 2018
Member since 09/30/2016 🔗
12 posts

Cool thanks for the link.

Just looking for some family friendly skiing to end out the season, hopefully mixed in with a cool Olympic village where we can ice skate, etc.  Seemed like a decent Spring Break opportunity if the mid-atlantic is shut down for good.

crgildart
February 26, 2018
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

PugSki Gathering is next week in Utah

OFFICIAL 2018 Utah Gathering general info & scheduling

2018 Gathering UTAH March 3-10”‹

Schedule & General Information:

3/4 Sunday: Snowbasin
3/5 Monday: Snowbasin
  • Meeting Place- Look for the Moose in the courtyard between the main base lodge and the base of the gondola. The ticket office is to the right of the Moose as you approach from the parking lots and our meeting area is going to be just behind the Moose, to the left. To get your MC Pass, bring your paperwork and photo ID with you into Earl’s Base Lodge.
  • Meeting Time: Sunday (Guides, 15 min early)
  • Announcements will begin promptly at 8:45 and groups will move toward the lift as soon as we form them.
  • Meeting time Monday Everybody - 8:45
3/6 Tuesday: Alta
  • Meeting Place- We will be meeting in the area between Goldminers Day Lodge and the ticket office. There are lockers and a boot up area just steps from the meeting spot inside the Day Lodge. You can get your MC Pass in the Skier Services building just below the Wildcat lift.
  • Meeting Time: Tuesday 8:45 (Guides, 15 min early)
  • As of today the Alta web sites shows the lifts start at 9:15. Plan on getting in the lift line at 9:00 AM
3/7 Wednesday: Snowbird
  • Meeting Place- We will meet on the Tram Deck in the morning. It is upstairs a few flights and there is also elevator access to the deck. Best bet, if you don’t boot up at your vehicle, is to boot up on the ground floor and then make your way up to the Tram Deck. There are benches and lockers on the first floor. Skis and poles are allowed in the lodge, but off your shoulder please. Ticket offices and the Season pass office are on the Tram deck. Per the MC-Pass web site you can get your pass at either the pass office or the ticket windows.
  • Meeting Time - 8:45 (and off the tram deck by 8:55 or sooner) (Guides, 15 min early)
3/8 Thursday:Alta
  • Meeting Place: TBA
  • Meeting Time TBA
  • Special Event: DPS Demo Day- Have CC & ID along with your BSL (Boot Sole Length)
  • NEW: Evening Event: DPS, Pret, Kulkea and other Pugski sponsors will be hosting DPS's movie series "Shadow" at Brewvies in downtown Salt Lake. There will a series of movies, great displays and lots ot give a ways. With this is a ride into town, it is well worth it and will be a ton of fun. More information will be posted here as soon as it is available.
3/9 Friday: Snowbird
  • Meeting Place- We will meet on the Tram Deck in the morning. It is upstairs a few flights and there is also elevator access to the deck. Best bet, if you don’t boot up at your vehicle, is to boot up on the ground floor and then make your way up to the Tram Deck. There are benches and lockers on the first floor. Skis and poles are allowed in the lodge, but off your shoulder please. Ticket offices and the Season pass office are on the Tram deck. Per the MC-Pass web site you can get your pass at either the pass office or the ticket windows.
  • Meeting Time - 8:45 (and off the tram deck by 8:55 or sooner)
3/10 Saturday- Snowbird (Alternate Day)
  • Meeting Time - 8:45 (and off the tram deck by 8:55 or sooner) (Guides, 15 min early)

Please be ready to go right from the meeting place every day.

Look for the Pugski banner near each meeting place. We will typically attach pink or orange ribbons to attendees’ ski poles for easy identification on the hill.

GROUP LEVELS”‹

Please be realistic about assessing your ability with regards to the group you belong in. Snowbird and Alta’s terrain can be downright gnarly so please consider your physical condition, ability to ski a given trail (as opposed to “able to get down it”) and whether your gear fits the conditions if it’s a significant powder day. You can change groups, but that can be difficult once the groups scatter on the hill.
  • Intermediate- You prefer groomed terrain and avoid moguls if possible. You may avoid powder and terrain like glades and narrow runs.
  • Intermediate / Expert- Generally you are comfortable on Intermediate (blue) terrain and need to pay attention (but don’t panic) on groomed (black) single diamond terrain. You may venture off into some boot-top (or less) powder on the edge of the trail. Not a big fan of moguls, but you can work your way through the smaller ones. It may be time to explore the (widely spaced) trees on an easier Intermediate run.
  • Experts - You generally ski the whole mountain. You can make your way through the vast majority of snow and terrain conditions but still may need to pay attention (vs just being on auto-pilot) in bumps, heavily treed terrain, open bowls with rock or avi debris and tight chutes. Intermediate terrain is for getting back to the lifts. It’s black and double black diamond for you.
  • Extreme- Anywhere / Anytime / any conditions. You want to go where the others aren’t. In other words”¦you wouldn’t hold Dean Spirito or Josh up too much. ( sorry”¦..I just couldn’t resist)
Intermediate & Intermediate/Expert groups will have guides every day.

Chances are some of the Expert Groups will have a guide every day.

We will try our best go get a guide to every group every day but we may not have enough guides to accomplish that. Some of the upper level groups may need to be “self guided”. We have done this successfully in the past by mixing new comers to the areas with those who are familiar with the area they are skiing that day.

Thanks Everybody
See Y’all in March.

If you haven't signed up on the roll call thread HERE, please do so now.

https://forum.pugski.com/threads/official-2018-utah-gathering-general-info-scheduling.6622/

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2018
3,246 posts

crgildart: you aren't suggesting the Gathering for the OP and his 6yo who are both beginners, are you?

While a Gathering can be fun for adventurous intermediates, they are not really family events for parents with kids in elementary school.  That's one reason they are scheduled to avoid school breaks.  I would say advanced skiers who would like to learn more about terrain at the resorts covered by a Gathering get the most out of the experience.  Also helps to enjoy good beer.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2018
3,246 posts

sohcrates wrote:

Cool thanks for the link.

Just looking for some family friendly skiing to end out the season, hopefully mixed in with a cool Olympic village where we can ice skate, etc.  Seemed like a decent Spring Break opportunity if the mid-atlantic is shut down for good.

Lake Placid is a fun town for all ages for sure.  The drive is straightforward in comparison to getting over to northern VT.  I've done the drive many times.  Usually avoid DC/Baltimore/NJ by going north into central PA and then up I-81 to I-88 and get on the Northway (I-87) at Albany.

crgildart
February 26, 2018
767 posts

marzNC wrote:

crgildart: you aren't suggesting the Gathering for the OP and his 6yo who are both beginners, are you?

While a Gathering can be fun for adventurous intermediates, they are not really family events for parents with kids in elementary school.  That's one reason they are scheduled to avoid school breaks.  I would say advanced skiers who would like to learn more about terrain at the resorts covered by a Gathering get the most out of the experience.  Also helps to enjoy good beer.

Just letting the community know that is happening next week.  I've taken a 6 year old beginner to a few gatherings with mostly advanced and expert skiers.  We just skied in different groups on our own and met up for some of the social activities.  It's never too young or too green to start hanging around with other skiers, more or less experienced.  Doesn't mean they have to try to keep up with groups of more experienced skiers.  Would still be fun to hang out apres ski and meet the others there. It wouldn't be the first family to bring small children to a gathering event..

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2018
3,246 posts

crgildart wrote:

marzNC wrote:

Just letting the community know that is happening next week.  I've taken a 6 year old beginner to a few gatherings with mostly advanced and expert skiers.  We just skied in different groups on our own and met up for some of the social activities.  It's never too young or too green to start hanging around with other skiers, more or less experienced.  Doesn't mean they have to try to keep up with groups of more experienced skiers.  Would still be fun to hang out apres ski and meet the others there. It wouldn't be the first family to bring small children to a gathering event..

The Gatherings you went to were in the Mid-Atlantic, correct?  Based on my experience at the Gatherings at big mountains out west since 2010, I would not recommend it for a parent who is a beginner looking for a fun time with a 6yo who is also a beginner.  I've attended a few for more than one ski forum, with attendence ranging from 25 to 75 people.

That said, for adults looking for a fun time in Utah in March, certainly worth considering.  It's finally started snowing more regularly at Alta/Snowbird.

crgildart
February 26, 2018 (edited February 26, 2018)
767 posts

marzNC wrote:

crgildart wrote:

marzNC wrote:

The Gatherings you went to were in the Mid-Atlantic, correct?  Based on my experience at the Gatherings at big mountains out west since 2010, I would not recommend it for a parent who is a beginner looking for a fun time with a 6yo who is also a beginner.  I've attended a few for more than one ski forum, with attendence ranging from 25 to 75 people.

That said, for adults looking for a fun time in Utah in March, certainly worth considering.  It's finally started snowing more regularly at Alta/Snowbird.

Well, I was going in the assumption that since OP lives pretty close to Wintergreen, has had a season pass for at least one season, possibly two, and warms up on Mid Atlantic blue then skis easy blacks they aren't exactly a beginner.  Perhaps you missed that part in their OP??  There is plenty of terrain at "big mountains" that is quite suitable for them.

Shotmaker
February 26, 2018
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

I have been to Whiteface 3 times in the spring & think it is the best time to go there.  Couple years ago the slides were open which were a blast to ski.  If you are intermediate/black groomers it offers some nice runs but the upper mountain is geared to the advanced - expert skier.  Lake Placid is a great town with a really good vibe.  There is lots to do other than alpine skiing so I give it a big thumbs up.  Another mountain/village to consider in March is Tremblant.  Great village atmosphere with lots of variety on the mountain.  Many of the Canadians I met while there were retired skiing 100+ days a year.

hashdefine
February 26, 2018
9 posts

marzNC wrote:

I would not bother to travel to the northeast for spring break. 

First time I took my daughter to SLC, she was 7 and skiing blacks in the southeast thanks to Massanutten ski school.  She loved Alta.  After that, I've been going to Alta in late season pretty much every year since 2010.  Always a fun time, even in low snow years.

Ok - I just booked tickets to Salt Lake City instead.

Are you thinking of staying at Solitude?  Know families who had a good time there.  Their kids had a good time at the ski school.  Of course, that means your daughter may become a better skier than you in no time. ;-)

Staying in SLC and driving for skiing is a reasonable idea, especially during late season.  Have you heard of the SuperPass that’s good at Solitude, Brighton, and Alta?

Thanks for the super pass tip - That seems like a good way to experience multiple resorts the first time we are there. I was originally thinking of staying at the resort but did not realize that the resorts are fairly close to the city. You can apparently UberSki to the mountains! so we might stay in the city instead. It makes even more sense with the super pass.

Thanks for the excellent advice.

BTW is UberSki common enough in SLC to rely on that for transport to the mountains?

hashdefine
February 26, 2018
9 posts

Well, I was going in the assumption that since OP lives pretty close to Wintergreen, has had a season pass for at least one season, possibly two, and warms up on Mid Atlantic blue then skis easy blacks they aren’t exactly a beginner.  Perhaps you missed that part in their OP??

BTW This is a problem I often have when people ask my what level of skier's me or my daughter are. I always answer beginner since I definitely feel like on. For example even the intermediate description above seems way more advanced. 

• Intermediate- You prefer groomed terrain and avoid moguls if possible. You may avoid powder and terrain like glades and narrow runs.

I've never been off piste ever, and can't imagine we are anywhere near ready for it - I actually had to google what "glades" are. Similarly I don't think I have ever skied powder either - I can tell there are different kind's of snow but that is about it. I have only ever skied at Wintergreen except we spent two day's at a resort near Christchurch in New Zealand this past summer, and the snow felt a lot better there compared to even the best day's at Wintergreen.

Reisen
February 26, 2018
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

Where are you staying in SLC?  We have used uberski there no problem in the past. 

I wouldn’t sweat your ability level. You’ll have a blast at any level. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2018
3,246 posts

hashdefine wrote:

marzNC wrote:

I would not bother to travel to the northeast for spring break. 

Ok - I just booked tickets to Salt Lake City instead.

Staying in SLC and driving for skiing is a reasonable idea, especially during late season.  Have you heard of the SuperPass that’s good at Solitude, Brighton, and Alta?

Thanks for the super pass tip - That seems like a good way to experience multiple resorts the first time we are there. I was originally thinking of staying at the resort but did not realize that the resorts are fairly close to the city. You can apparently UberSki to the mountains! so we might stay in the city instead. It makes even more sense with the super pass.

Thanks for the excellent advice.

BTW is UberSki common enough in SLC to rely on that for transport to the mountains?

Have to say that when I stay in SLC I much prefer to have a rental car.  I've stayed at the LaQuinta in Midvale for a night or two before heading elsewhere, meaning a VRBO house or condo.  Can rent a 2WD pretty cheap.  If you get lucky and it snows, always possible to take the UTA Ski Bus.  That's included in the SuperPass.  Should still be running thru the first week of April given that Easter is April 1.

The only issue I heard about for UberSki is for times when a bunch of people are trying to get to the airport around the same time.  Are you planning on bringing skis for both of you?

You and your daughter will be fine starting on greens and then moving to blue groomers.  The main difference between a Wintergreen blue and a green at Solitude, Brighton, or Alta would be the length.  For instance, if it takes the two of you 5 minutes to finish a blue off Acorn then a trail of equivalent pitch at Alta might take 15 minutes just because it will be that much longer.  So the ratio of time riding a lift to time on snow leads to much more fun.

If you catch a powder storm, put your daughter in ski school and take a group lesson.  During late season, there's a good chance of having a solo lesson at an adv. beginner/intermediate level with a pretty experienced instructor.  The most experienced instructors are the ones who stick around to the very end of the season.  At least that's the case at Alta.  My friend who learned at Massanutten when her kids started learning a few years ago had three consecutive solo group lessons (1:30-3:30) with a Level 3 instructor last April.  She was only skiing the easiest blues at Massanutten based on only skiing on the holiday long weekends.  He had her skiing the easy blue off Sugarloaf at Alta after one lesson.  She was able to ski the harder blue off Collins after the third lesson, as well as the blues off Supreme.

For more than you need to know about Alta:

https://www.snowpak.com/utah/salt-lake-city/alta

hashdefine
February 27, 2018
9 posts

Reisen wrote:

Where are you staying in SLC?

I am not sure yet. I usually stay at Marriot\Starwood properties but convinience trumps loyalty. I will probably book hotels some time this weekend.

We have used uberski there no problem in the past. 

That's good to know.

hashdefine
February 27, 2018
9 posts
The only issue I heard about for UberSki is for times when a bunch of people are trying to get to the airport around the same time.  Are you planning on bringing skis for both of you?

We are both bringing our own ski's  and boots.

If you catch a powder storm, put your daughter in ski school and take a group lesson.  During late season, there’s a good chance of having a solo lesson at an adv. beginner/intermediate level with a pretty experienced instructor.  The most experienced instructors are the ones who stick around to the very end of the season.  At least that’s the case at Alta.

We were both planning on taking some lessons - at least the first couple day's if nothing else just to get familiar with some parts of the mountain.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 27, 2018
3,246 posts

hashdefine wrote:

Reisen wrote:

I am not sure yet. I usually stay at Marriot\Starwood properties but convinience trumps loyalty. I will probably book hotels some time this weekend.

Should be a Marriot/Starwood that's part of the SuperPass program.  Another advantage of having a rental car is more flexibility in choosing lodging and dinner locations.  Traffic in SLC is really not that bad from anywhere going to LCC/BCC in the mornings.  Always better to arrive early from a parking standpoint in any case, although that's less of an issue during late season.  Powder days are exceptions of course.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 27, 2018
3,246 posts

hashdefine wrote:

We are both bringing our own ski's  and boots.

If you catch a powder storm, put your daughter in ski school and take a group lesson.  During late season, there’s a good chance of having a solo lesson at an adv. beginner/intermediate level with a pretty experienced instructor.  The most experienced instructors are the ones who stick around to the very end of the season.  At least that’s the case at Alta.

We were both planning on taking some lessons - at least the first couple day's if nothing else just to get familiar with some parts of the mountain.

My daughter loved all her instructors at the Alta Ski School.  A bit unusual in that reservations are not accepted or required.  That means it's possible to make a last minute decision first thing in the morning about whether or not to do ski school.  The children's programs are designed to coordinate with the adult group lessons in the afternoon.  Still leaves time to ski together on the Sunnyside lift afterwards.  Although that's mostly green terrain, there are also blue trails and short blacks in the trees.  The kids learn where the trails are the include whoop-de-doos.  They teach skills related to doing traverses to ungroomed terrain early at Alta.

What type of case do you have for the skis?  Going to carry boots as carry-on, right?

hashdefine
February 27, 2018
9 posts

What type of case do you have for the skis?  Going to carry boots as carry-on, right?

I don't have a case yet.

I was thinking about getting the Thule Roundrip Roller (Double) or the Sport tube.I am leaning towards the Thule.

Going to carry boots as carry-on, right?

That seems like a good idea. I will acquire some boot bags also. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 27, 2018
3,246 posts

hashdefine wrote:

I don't have a case yet.

I was thinking about getting the Thule Roundrip Roller (Double) or the Sport tube.I am leaning towards the Thule.

Going to carry boots as carry-on, right?

That seems like a good idea. I will acquire some boot bags also. 

I have a double Sportube that I bought in 2010.  Has held up well.  Don't always bring two pairs of skis but when I only take one pair there is room for a few bulky items such as snow boots, small backpack for resort skiing, etc.  Note that TSA almost always opens up Sportubes and often soft bags too.  Definitely worth getting wheels in any case.  The only downside to a Sportube is the space it takes up after you arrive.  A soft case can be squished or rolled up to take up less space in a vehicle if needed.

As for boots, for your daughter it's possible to simply use a rolling backpack or rolling carry-on suitcaase.  I did that until my daughter was fine with her own Transpack boot backpack.  My preference for is the Transpack Sidekick but now I put my boots in a rolling Transpack that looks like a suitcaase.  Then the Sidekick has the helmet, goggles, and a few basics and fits under the seat with the helmet out of the front pocket.  In the first few years, I would handcarry the boots and put them in the overhead, while also taking a small rolling carry-on suitcase.

I know people who pack their helmet in a larger suitcase that is checked.

Reisen
February 27, 2018 (edited February 27, 2018)
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

hashdefine wrote:

Reisen wrote:

We have used uberski there no problem in the past. 

That's good to know.

I’m longtime SPG /Marriott Plat. We often stay at the Sheraton SLC, which can be a decent deal during the season. We have splurged and stayed at the St Regis at Deer Valley on points. Sometimes, if skiing Alta / Snowbird, we will grab something cheap in Midvale off Hotwire. 

All things being equal, I prefer staying in Park City fro the Apres Ski, but it can be $$$. 

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.