Uphill travel?
5 posts
5 users
1k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
February 23, 2018 (edited February 23, 2018)
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

Ok Patroller types, what is the problem with uphill travel? Granted I feel whoever is doing it (uphillers?) should buy a ticket (discounted or not up to the resort) and do so during normal hours. But what is the issue?

Has there been an issue with folks crashing into uphillers? Uphillers ruining trails?   I would think the process would lend itself to going up green trails so the speed may not be an issue but maybe the control of the downhillers?

Just seem to me more resorts should be open to it especially the smaller ones that seem most opposed. Or are we just at the beginning of the trend and areas are still trying to figure it out. 

SCWVA
February 23, 2018
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

7Springs allows uphill travel for a fee.

http://www.7springs.com/ski-and-ride/uphill-travel-pass/

JohnL
February 23, 2018
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

My guesses:

Liability.

Use of property without paying.

People heading in different directions is generally not a good thing. When you involve the general public. Increases the complexity of Ski Patrol's job.

Operators/owners not being familiar with the idea.

FreshPow
February 23, 2018
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

Stated without bias or slant, just as a point of information. Concerns/issues include:

• For most hills around here, it's private property. You need a ticket to be on the slopes, which comes with a lot of small type regarding liability, implied permission to be on premises, etc. etc. 
  • Don't do it before opening (or after closing); big groomers and other machinery are still out there and they aren't expecting or looking for you. Nor has Patrol performed their opening procedures (or monitoring if after close).
  • Stay to the side. Some hills may have designated trails for that; or preferred suggestions to those pursuing - those suggestions may reflect the day's conditions, crowds or what we think is actually helpful for you to enjoy.

Conflict seems to occur when the hopeful skinner thinks they don't have to pay to access private property maintained and serviced by the resort. Further, they want to beat the crowds and be up there first, before opening, which is perhaps the most active time for grooming, snowmaking, snowmobiles and other mountain operations. A lot of risk there.

It can exist. Just don't presume it's a manner NOT to pay for a lift ticket. Granted, a few places (Magic Mt in VT is one) offer it for free in hopes you'll buy a pitcher on your way out, along with a sandwich.

camp
February 23, 2018
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

FreshPow wrote:

It can exist. Just don't presume it's a manner NOT to pay for a lift ticket. Granted, a few places (Magic Mt in VT is one) offer it for free in hopes you'll buy a pitcher on your way out, along with a sandwich.

As I think you know, there has been a small regular group of skinners up Whitetail the past few seasons. With passess/lift-tickets on board. Have also seen xc skiers a few times just cruisng around the beginner terrain.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.