9 posts
5 users
2k+ views
msprings
January 29, 2018
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts

Telluride Ski Resort Joins the Epic Pass

• The iconic Telluride Ski Resort joins the Epic Pass beginning with the 2018-19 winter season in a long-term alliance.
  • Epic Pass holders will receive seven days of skiing or snowboarding with no blackout dates at Telluride and 50% off lift tickets after the seven days have been redeemed.
  • Epic Pass holders can go direct to the lift with their pass at Telluride and avoid the ticket window.
  • Telluride Season Pass holders and Telluride Ski & Golf Club members with full winter benefits will receive 50% off lift tickets at all Vail Resorts owned mountain resorts.

http://www.tellurideskiresort.com/press-room/press-releases/telluride-ski-resort-joins-the-epic-pass/

oldensign - DCSki Columnist
January 29, 2018
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

If you can beat them join'em!!  The skiing world is quickly breaking down to Vail /Epic and Aspen/Ikon.  

Telluride is kind of niche area. It is awesome but hard to get too. This will probally draw move folks from CO than it had in the past.  

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
January 29, 2018
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

Honestly, i cannot believe these mega deals are going to actually draw more skiers to a place like Telluride.  It might sell more passes, which is good enough, but not more skiers.  Telluride is a hella long way from anywhere else.  For most of these places, the cost is travel, lodging, eating, etc.... not the ski pass.  If you are going to Telluride, you are not worried about the lift ticket.  

msprings
January 29, 2018
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts

pagamony wrote:

Honestly, i cannot believe these mega deals are going to actually draw more skiers to a place like Telluride.  It might sell more passes, which is good enough, but not more skiers.  Telluride is a hella long way from anywhere else.  For most of these places, the cost is travel, lodging, eating, etc.... not the ski pass.  If you are going to Telluride, you are not worried about the lift ticket.  

Couldn't agree more. Was there over spirng break a few years ago, it is a hard place to get to. All in, the lift tickets were the cheapest part fo the trip.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 29, 2018 (edited January 29, 2018)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

I'm checking out Telluride for the first time in Feb.  My friends and I decided to add a few days after doing a Ski Week at Taos.  Without the MCP, would not have considered T-ride as an add-on.  We went to Taos for the first time because it joined the MCP.  Was way down the list of places to consider even though my main ski buddy lives in Albuquerque.  I know of quite a few people who have gone to either Taos or Telluride because of the MCP in the last couple seasons.

Taos was hoping for 5000 people from the MCP last season.  By mid-Feb they already had issued 2000 MCP cards.  Granted it was a banner year for snow.  But those people probably bought the MCP long before it was clear how much snow Taos would get.

In short, being part of a multi-resort pass does make a difference to enough travelers to make it worthwhile for destination ski resorts that aren't within an hour or two of a major airport.  The idea is to entice someone into making the first trip.  And hoping that they like the experience and will return in the future.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
January 29, 2018
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

thats funny, i've driven from taos to albuquerque to telluride.  probably spent more on gas than you will on lift tickets :)  

send pics.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 29, 2018
3,246 posts

pagamony wrote:

thats funny, i've driven from taos to albuquerque to telluride.  probably spent more on gas than you will on lift tickets :)  

send pics.

Yep, it's not necessarily about the actual cost.  It's about the idea of getting the most out of the few hundred dollars spent on the MCP.  My friends and I will be getting at least 9 days covered completely at four destination resorts, plus 50% discounts for additional days.  A multi-resort pass like the MCP does influence some people's plans for trips out west.  Apparently enough so that it's been worth continuing.  But certainly was never going to be a permanent fixture for the ski industry.

My father used to go to more than one grocery store in Chapel Hill to get the eggs on sale at one store, and the milk on sale at another.  He was retired and had the time. ;-)

Bonzski
January 30, 2018 (edited January 30, 2018)
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

A little more insight....

"Epic 7-Day Pass and Epic 4-Day Pass holders get seven days or four days at Telluride, respectively. Telluride season pass holders will receive 50 percent off lift tickets at Vail-owned mountains."

Full article Here

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 31, 2018
3,246 posts

Supposedly, Vail tried to get Jackson Hole to consider a deal similar to what Telluride will have for 2018-19.  Mentioned in the article in ZRankings comparing Epic and Ikon based on what's known as of late January 2018.

https://zrankings.com/articles/ikon-pass-vs-epic-pass

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.