Expert skiers
15 posts
10 users
2k+ views
wgo
January 24, 2018
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Does anyone feel like the term "Expert Skier" is thrown around too much? In my mind an expert skier is someone who can ski something like Palli at A-Basin (or pick your favorite tight eastern glade) with confidence, authority, and grace. 

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
January 24, 2018
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

...and in any conditions... and hike east ridge and drop down the chutes .... and make it look easy. 

that last part i will never achieve.  stuck here in mediocrity forever. 

wgo
January 24, 2018
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Right. Even if someone can ski "garden variety" western black runs well, that does not make someone an expert. Experts make up a tiny fraction of the overall skiing population.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 24, 2018
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

wgo wrote:

Does anyone feel like the term "Expert Skier" is thrown around too much? In my mind an expert skier is someone who can ski something like Palli at A-Basin (or pick your favorite tight eastern glade) with confidence, authority, and grace. 

I think it happens more among people who haven't been out west or to a big mountain in the northeast and think they are "experts" because they ski the black trails in the flatlands that have signs that say "Experts Only."  For instance, there are signs like that for Lift 6 at Mnut and at the top of MakAttack.  Take one of those people to the top of the Whiteface gondola for a run down the blue groomer to the base when it's icy . . . and then ask if they feel like an "expert."

JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 24, 2018
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

1. The longer you ski, the more you realize there is to learn. 

2. There is always someone better out there unless you have a gold medal around your neck, and that only lasts until the next race;-)

crgildart
January 25, 2018 (edited January 25, 2018)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

I think experts would be those who are more knowledgeable and experienced than average and slightly above average (advanced)  folks.  Think of what you'd call experts in other industries, college professors, music teachers, high school and college coaches, paid professionals.  I think that in skiing and other trades there are prodigies and otherwise extremely gifted participants who are, indeed, quite exceptional relative to other solid pro level folks who I'd still call experts.

I do believe there is some level of humility involved.. It's bad form to call yourself an "expert" when you know that there are others who are quite a bit better than you are in some way or another.  There is also the age curve.  I'd call anyone who competed or taught at levels beyond what I did an expert even though now that they are elderly I can now outski them..  But, there are younger advanced intermediates who can now outski me after my legs are fried.. which now only takes 3-4 hours at my age and physical condition. I'm not in great shape..  I know several people who I consider experts who don't boast that they are when asked..

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
January 25, 2018
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

crgildart wrote:

I know several people who I consider experts who don't boast that they are when asked..

What a refreshing attitude. 

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

In Colorado, the general assembly passed the "Ski Safety Act", which actually defines "extreme terrain" and the requirement to post "double black" signage with the "ex" designator.  Some ski areas print the definition on the trail map as well (e.g. Copper).

(3.1) "Extreme terrain" means any place within the ski area boundary that contains cliffs with a minimum twenty-foot rise over a fifteen-foot run, and slopes with a minimum fifty-degree average pitch over a one-hundred-foot run.

Interestingly, nowhere in the text do you find the word "expert":

https://www.coloradoski.com/sites/default/files/uploads/Colorado-Ski-Safety-Act.pdf

JohnL
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

JimK wrote:

1. The longer you ski, the more you realize there is to learn.

2. There is always someone better out there unless you have a gold medal around your neck, and that only lasts until the next race;-)

Amen, brother.

But the more I learn each year, the more I realize I'm one year older...

JohnL
January 25, 2018
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

wgo wrote:

I don't really see the term "Expert Skier" used much, except in on-line forums. But I also don't instruct and have to deal with the self-assessment of the general sking public, ...

By that definition, I ski with dozens of experts each year. On Palli or even tougher stuff. I don't think that definition of Expert is all that tough, but most of the CO locals, Pug skiers, Epic skiers I hang with out West make Palli a playground. I guess I choose my ski company well. ;)

oldensign - DCSki Columnist
January 26, 2018
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

If figure if you dont live or work on the mountain you are not an expert.  If you are paying for your pass....you are probally not an expert. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 26, 2018
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

oldensign wrote:

If figure if you dont live or work on the mountain you are not an expert.  If you are paying for your pass....you are probally not an expert. 

Nope, not that simple.  The few people I know who I consider experts without question are paying for their pass this season.  One learned a lot doing Taos Ski Weeks many times over many years.  He's never been an instructor.  The other two are L3 instructors who used to teach in the MidA who are taking a break from teaching for a season or two while they go skiing at Snowbird.  What all three have in common is that they are pretty humble about their ability.  And very patient when skiing with someone who isn't at their level.

crgildart
January 26, 2018
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

oldensign wrote:

What if someone used to ski free before moving away from the mountains?  Are these people "former eperts"??  Maybe they were PSIA Demo Team 5 years but now live in Miami FL.. But not an expert because they no longer work for the resort?? Okay!

Bdw611
January 28, 2018 (edited January 28, 2018)
Member since 02/29/2016 🔗
46 posts

JimK wrote 1. The longer you ski, the more you realize there is to learn. 

I could not agree more. Every time I think I’m progressing as a skier I am humbled by what I don’t know or conditions that I’ve never experienced before. Night ice,flat light, death cookies, weekend crowds, weekend mofuls etc. Every season when I get my bindings checked, I have to check “expert” to ensure my DIN setting are right. Expert meaning on an uncrowned, well groomed, packed man-made snow day I can comfortably get down “Bold Descion” at Whitetail. 

Absolutly the term expert is thrown around too cavalier. I strive to the day, if ever, I could consider myself an expert.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
January 28, 2018
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

I have been and always will be an aspiring expert.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.