6 posts
5 users
2k+ views
Scott - DCSki Editor
January 8, 2018
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

Hi everyone,

Over the past couple weeks, I've been in the process of increasing the resolution of images used on DCSki.  As screens increase in resolution on devices ranging from smartphones to laptops to desktops, there are more pixels available to present high-quality photos and image elements.  Since photography is such a core element of DCSki, I want DCSki to take advantage of this.  DCSki's home page has now been enhanced to use higher-resolution imagery, and articles will now include higher-resolution photos.  I'll gradually be bumping up the resolution of images used throughout other areas of DCSki.  If you notice any layout issues, let me know.  DCSki pages may take slightly longer to load on slow network connections due to the higher-quality imagery, but for most users the only thing you should notice is improved quality on modern displays.

- Scott

JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 8, 2018
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

Thanks Scott.  Appreciate all you've done over the years to showcase contributions from myself and so many others here.  I'm sure this upgrade will be enjoyed by all.

David
January 9, 2018
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

Scott, while you're working on that. Is there anyway to add in a feature to directly upload pictures to forum posts instead of hosting them somewhere else? 

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
January 9, 2018 (edited January 9, 2018)
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

David wrote:

Scott, while you're working on that. Is there anyway to add in a feature to directly upload pictures to forum posts instead of hosting them somewhere else

I think the issue is it costs $$ to host those images as well as maintain and back up large data bases.  I maintain that site for our HOA in Snowshoe and we recently went over our FREE back up limit.  Now we have to pay X per year for back ups.  High  res pics and videos take up a ton of space.  That's why those free hosting sites started charging money.

This stupid pic of one of our owners condos is 11 MB

eggraid
January 11, 2018
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

David wrote:

Scott, while you're working on that. Is there anyway to add in a feature to directly upload pictures to forum posts instead of hosting them somewhere else

I think the issue is it costs $$ to host those images as well as maintain and back up large data bases.  I maintain that site for our HOA in Snowshoe and we recently went over our FREE back up limit.  Now we have to pay X per year for back ups.  High  res pics and videos take up a ton of space.  That's why those free hosting sites started charging money.

This stupid pic of one of our owners condos is 11 MB

Hey, there's my bedroom! 

Just kidding

Scott - DCSki Editor
January 11, 2018
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

David wrote:

Scott, while you're working on that. Is there anyway to add in a feature to directly upload pictures to forum posts instead of hosting them somewhere else? 

Hi David.  That's something I've contemplated before -- at one point I thought of making it an extra benefit to users who have donated to DCSki -- but there are some hurdles that have kept me from pursuing it further.  DCSki isn't structured to host a large number of images; it would change the economics both on the server side and the bandwidth side (and I operate somewhere between negative and razor-thin margins), and would require additional policing to make sure users weren't uploading copyrighted images that they didn't have the rights for.  Since there are external image hosting sites that allow images to be embedded on other sites, it didn't seem necessary to duplicate that functionality.  But I'd like the process to be easier for users.  If people recommend some solutions/workflows that work well, I could possibly capture that documentation and make it more readily available to users when posting.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?