Recommendation for lodging location: Blue Knob and Laurel Mtn
24 posts
13 users
4k+ views
fosphenytoin - DCSki Supporter 
January 7, 2018
Member since 12/20/2017 🔗
169 posts

Where would be a convenient location to stay if I want to ski Blue Knob and Laurel Mtn, +/- HiddenValley.

Plan to visit these 2 places during President's Day weekend, will drive from NoVA after work on Friday.  I prefer to stay on highway and avoid driving on mountain roads in evening / night on Friday, therefore I am looking for a lcoation that it is off highway.  Is Somerset, PA a good option?  

Thanks in advance for your reply.  

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
January 8, 2018
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

It has been a few years but as I recall both Bedford and somerset have good economical lodging.  If I don’t know an area well I don’t reserve on kayak, etc.  instead, when arriving in town I look for trades men’s trucks.  Many of them spend long days on the road and they know the area and know good value for their $.  They are also quiet, although they do tend to get up and leave at the crack of dawn, which doesn’t bother me.

oddballstocks
January 8, 2018
Member since 02/11/2017 🔗
123 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

Where would be a convenient location to stay if I want to ski Blue Knob and Laurel Mtn, +/- HiddenValley.

Plan to visit these 2 places during President's Day weekend, will drive from NoVA after work on Friday.  I prefer to stay on highway and avoid driving on mountain roads in evening / night on Friday, therefore I am looking for a lcoation that it is off highway.  Is Somerset, PA a good option?  

Thanks in advance for your reply.  

Look for something in Johnstown area to be closer.  Laurel Mountain is on 30, Blue Knob between 22 and 30, and Hidden Valley just south of 30.  Johnstown is sandwiched in the middle of them.

You can get to Johnstown fairly easily.  Take the turnpike to 219 north.  Laurel Mtn is 20m from Johnstown, Blue Knob 42m, and Hidden Valley 50m.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
January 8, 2018
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Join our Support Laurel Mountain State Park group and ask the question there. I'm sure you'll get a lot of good recommendations. I commute from Pittsburgh so I really can't help.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 8, 2018
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

For a LM/HV combo:  There are a ton of reasonably priced chain motels in Somerset, PA right next to PA turnpike.  It is about halfway between LM and HV, approx. 30 mins to each. 

For a Blue Knob/LM combo (nice pairing of ski areas!):  you might consider something like the Sleep Inn or similar at Johnstown PA.  It is about halfway between BK and LM, approx.. 30 mins to each.  IIRC, part of the drive from BK to Johnstown consists of "interesting" back roads.  May want to do that in daylight. 

camp
January 8, 2018
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

This was posted on the Support Laurel Mountain FB site and caught my eye. Not close to BK though.

Www.sunsetcottagesligonier.com

If I were doing what you're doing, driving Fri night, skiing BK first, then LM, I'd stay Friday in Bedford near the turnpike. Then move on to Somerset/Ligonier the next night. I wouldn't want to stay in the middle and then backtrack to BK, but that's just me. And I think I'd drive back down to Bedford from BK to get on the turnpike, while other suggestions have you going through Johnstown

January 8, 2018
169 posts

Thanks for all your responses.

I signed up on FB page of Laurel Mtn Support group.  

Essentially, my needs / requests:

1) On Friday night, I'd like to get toward Blue Knob + Laurel as close as possible, conditioning it will be interstate highway driving.  I will save the mountain road / 2 lane-road driving next morning.

2) I prefer to stay in one place, not moving between hotels for my 3 nights stay.

So, between options mentioned above: Johnstown and Somerset PA, it seems Somerset PA is right off the interstate highway correct?  

What do you guys know about Donegal?  My friend mentioned this log and cabin inn in Donegal (location: less than 7 miles from 
Seven Springs or Hidden Valley Resorts, Just 2.5 miles from the PA Turnpike Donegal Exit # 91).  This particular inn looks interesting and I am curious to check it out.  

camp
January 8, 2018
660 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

What do you guys know about Donegal?  ..

Donegal is right on the turnpike, but a few miles west of LM, so the opposite direction from BK. Really small town, with an interesting looking BYOB restaurant that a lot of skiers use. Ligonier and Johnstown are probably cooler "towns" than Somerset or Bedford if that matters.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 8, 2018
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Blue Knob - if you have a little extra coin, try out the Bedford Springs Hotel. The place is amazing.

Laurel Mtn - there are several very nice inns in Ligonier. 

Hidden Valley has homes you can rent through VRBO and it is located about 1/2 hr from each resort.

January 8, 2018
169 posts

Looking at Goggle Map, would Bedford PA be better than Somerset PA?  

From NoVA to Bedford PA, it will take about 2.5 hoursThen ~30 miles to Blue Knob.  ~42 miles to Laurel.  

From NoVA to Somerset PA, it will take 3 hours.  Then 51 miles to Blue Knob, 20 miiles to Laurel.  

In terms of driving & road conditons to the destinations, which is easier, Bedford or Somerset?  

camp
January 8, 2018
660 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

In terms of driving & road conditons to the destinations, which is easier, Bedford or Somerset?  

These 2 are the same, both along the turnpike, just 30 miles or so apart. Somerset is on the other side of the tunnel. Both easy in dry weather

January 8, 2018
1,576 posts

If , you prefer a resort style setting for your stay check out the lodging at 7Springs or Hidden Valley. This would also give you the option to ski at Hidden Valley or 7Springs.

The conditions are superb. Enjoy

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 9, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Don’t  forget the condos at Blue Knob

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 9, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Don’t  forget the condos at Blue Knob

jimmy
January 9, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Chain hotels in Bedford. Ed's Steakhouse also in Bedford. Eat at Ed's.

wgo
January 9, 2018
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

I stayed at the Travellodge in Bedford right off the highway. Dated but clean, with a great breakfast buffet included in the attached restaurant.

January 9, 2018
169 posts

Thanks again for all your responses.  

If I am staying in Bedford and travel to Blue Knob and Laurel.  How are the roads? I don't like driivng on mountain roads and prefer to keep it to the minimum if possible.  

January 9, 2018
1,576 posts

I don't like driivng on mountain roads

If you want to ski you need to drive on mountain roads. You'll enjoy the ride up to Blue Knob😅.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
January 9, 2018
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I would not worry too much.  It's not like you will be driving up Pike's Peak.  PA does a good job of clearing the roads. You'll be fine.     

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 9, 2018 (edited January 9, 2018)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Blue Knob has the main lodge at the top of the mountain.  So driving up the mountain road inside the park is unavoidable.  I made it in a 2WD sedan several years ago on a day when it was freezing rain in the morning.  It was my first time and felt like a long way.  The main access road is less steep than the back way. Don't remember the exit numbers from the Interstate.

That said, it's worth the drive to ski with no crowds.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
January 9, 2018
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

Thanks again for all your responses.  

If I am staying in Bedford and travel to Blue Knob and Laurel.  How are the roads? I don't like driivng on mountain roads and prefer to keep it to the minimum if possible.  

Both Blue Knob and Laurel Mountain are upside down, that is, the lodge at both are at the top of the mountain. We need DC commuters to detail the best approach to Blue Knob, Pavia Rd. or Overland Pass Road.

The only winter entrance to Laurel Mountain is from Rt. 30 to the top of the Laurel Ridge. Rt. 30 is a major east west route though only two lanes but kept clear. You will turn left on to Laurel Summit Rd. across from the two cell towers. Laurel Summit Rd might be snow covered in spots but it is nearly flat back to the ski lodge and anti-skid material should be down. Beware the left curving horseshoe bend about a mile in, bend gets tighter and just when you think it lessens, it gets tighter.  Go passed the homes and cabins (Laurel Mountain Village). The ski area entrance is on your right about 5 miles back. Look for the sign; Laurel Mountain State Park in front of the stone gatehouse. Drive about a half mile to the end. Park near the lodge, lift tickers, etc. purchased inside through doors on the right side of the court yard. Enjoy your stay. We might have an informal meet up. I'm not sure which day. 

squeakywheels
January 9, 2018
Member since 08/4/2017 🔗
38 posts

So the only time I went to Blue Knob. I think I took PA Turnpike, wasn't paying attention and missed the exit to I99. The next exit to turn back was more than 30 miles away. :-(

January 10, 2018
169 posts

Many thanks to @Laurel Hill Crazie for the detailed directions to Laurel.  I am now crystal clear about the Laurel portion.  A

I plan to ski one day each at Laurel and Blue Knob during the Predisent's wknd, Feb. 17 & 18.  Can someone please comment on the crowd?  Which place will be more crowded and on which day?  

JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 10, 2018
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

Many thanks to @Laurel Hill Crazie for the detailed directions to Laurel.  I am now crystal clear about the Laurel portion.  A

I plan to ski one day each at Laurel and Blue Knob during the Predisent's wknd, Feb. 17 & 18.  Can someone please comment on the crowd?  Which place will be more crowded and on which day?  

Laurel is a good bet to be fairly light all weekend, but I'm not a local and that's just a guess.  Blue Knob could be a little busier, but probably not too bad.  It does not draw crowds anything like Whitetail, Seven Springs, etc.  If Saturday is going to be the busiest day, maybe go to Laurel that day and Blue Knob on Sunday.  If Monday is one of your ski days, go to Blue Knob that day and it should be pretty light, esp in the afternoon.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.