Cross your t's, not your ski tips.
Home
Laurels Powder Day
13 posts from 7 users
Updated 4 days ago
Jump to Newest Post
18 days ago

I don’t know how many of you were fortunate enough to be skiing today’s Great Lakes Champagne Powder but it was one of the best Powder days I have experienced locally in a long, long time. And it is still snowing. Unfortunately, the high temperature predicted for New Years Eve is 5. This has been an exceptionally good Holiday ski season in the Laurels. I hope yours was as good as mine.

Denis - DCSki Supporter
18 days ago

It is going to be great while it lasts.  As always in the mid Atlantic you must pounce on it when it’s good.  No waiting.  

When the Whitegrass web cam shows the flags standing straight out to the left, it means strong wind from the west carrying lake effect snow.  It’s the best snow report in the valley if you know how to read it.

http://www.whitegrass.com/White%20Grass%20Webcams.html 

head up 3 mile or up the open slope and you’ll soon be out of the wind and warmed up from exercise.

17 days ago

Laurel Mountain opened a lot more terrain. The powder was almost knee deep in places due strong winds so if you knew where to look you could make fresh turns most of the morning and into the early afternoon. I quit at 2, only my third day out this year and my legs let me know it. By time I left, the soft piles of snow on Lower Wildcat were beginning to firm up. Unfortunately there was still not enough snow yet to ski the glades. If the snow were typical mid-A powder it would have packed down but it was cold smoke trailing skiers all day. It was still snowing when I headed out so if you are lucky enough to be out today I bet there are fresh tracks to be found again. Grooming must have been done very early the previous night because even Innsbruck had a half a foot of powder.

Sorry, no pictures. I’m not great at that to begin with and on a cold, blowing powder day even less so. It’s going to be frigid this next week so all the goods should still be there albeit packed out.

16 days ago

With all the natural snow we’ve gotten in the past few days, it amazes me that Dream Highway and The Slot are still unable to open. How much snow will it take? 

Also, is there anything that can be done next summer, similar to a glad clearing, that could help get the trail open earlier and more often?

16 days ago

wrong kind of snow too light and fluffy, needs some wet base material. rocky corner is a shale rock shelf, used to cover it with hay 

but even then it took a heavy wet snow to stick. doing a good business on base repairs!

5 days ago

Looking at LM webcam this morning, it looks like the snow pack is very thin. It seems more snow should have been made where the webcam shows the image of bare ground. From an image standpoint, it would seem that you should show good coverage where the web cam is pointing. I guess I missed the golden opportunity last weekend (:-((

5 days ago

Thinking optimistically, if the rain turns to snow sooner rather than later, maybe LM will get 3 or 4 inches of snow by Saturday morning to cushion the refreezing surfaces underneath??

5 days ago

Jim - I have seen forcasts with up to 8” and I will be up there until Monday. Maybe the ski gods will bless us with snow storm that exceeds expectations.

4 days ago

Unfortunately, our rain saturated base froze solid. So you ski through some nice powder then hit rock solid ice that you cannot turn on. I curse that storm.

4 days ago

snowsmith wrote:

Unfortunately, our ran saturated base froze solid. So you ski through some nice powder then hit rock solid ice that you cannot turn on. I curse that storm.

Dust on crust. Unless the new snow bonds to old surface (which requires the right temp transition, right base density - which heavily skied/groomed runs don’t have, pause in skier traffic and grooming.)

4 days ago

The ice at my hockey game tonight will likely be softer than the trail surfaces today. But I’ll be out there tomorrow with my Vokls which eat the stuff up.

4 days ago

JohnL wrote:

The ice at my hockey game tonight will likely be softer than the trail surfaces today. But I’ll be out there tomorrow with my Vokls which eat the stuff up.

Where are you going?

4 days ago

Casa de Jiiiiimmmmmyyyy!

CVR tmw, likely T-Line Mon. Will stay down for a few more days if Tues/Wed snows produce.

Ad: Canaan Valley Resort

Sharpen your edges. And pencils.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.19 seconds