Ski free in January in Utah. Yes. Free.
6 posts
4 users
2k+ views
obolon999
December 22, 2017
Member since 12/21/2017 🔗
5 posts

Hi guys, I am long time reader of this forum, but never posted before. After I learned to ski about 5 years ago I found this great site, and I'm lurking around here ever since. I never been out West, and I have been skiing only locally: Massanutten, Wintergreen and Snowshoe (where I have season pass for last 3 years). It was my dream for last couple of years, to go and experience real big mountains. So, searching around I stumbled upon this unbelivable offer, and I am taking full advantage of it. 

This January you can create a ski vacation like no other and the ski part is free. Yes. Free. Here’s the deal, book a room from Jan. 1 to 31, 2018, at one of 86 participating hotels in the Salt Lake area (all mind-bogglingly close to the chairlift) and snag a two free Salt Lake Super Passes, for each night you book.

Here's the link: http://www.visitsaltlake.com/skicity/explore/januaryskifree/

Southwest has plenty of great cheap availability out of Dulles (one connection at DEN), but if you prefer, you can fly non-stop out of Baltimore for couple hundred more. Participating hotels starting at about $300 per 5-night. Park Inn Midvale (right on ski bus route) was around $400 for 5 nights. Air ( IAD - SLC ) was $235 (12616 SW miles) per person Jan 26-31.

This is absolutely legit, I booked hotel for 5 nights, and received my confirmation, following two 5-day SuperPass vouchers. I can't wait to go there with my 14 y.o. daughter, and I want to share this great offer with ya'll.

Now, if you guys can share your opinions and suggestions how to make most out of Snowbird, Alta, Brighton and Solitude, I will greatly appreciate it.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 22, 2017
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

Good for you!  Flying Southwest out of BWI is good for people who are bringing skis and have to pay for checked baggage on other airlines.  I gather this deal involving the SuperPass used to happen more often, but hadn't in the last few years.

For more than you need to know to enjoy skiing in LCC:

https://www.snowpak.com/utah/salt-lake-city/alta

https://www.snowpak.com/utah/salt-lake-city/snowbird

That's my byline for the text, and many of the pictures of buildings are also mine.

When does your flight arrive?  When does your flight home depart?  It's possible to ski on travel days, but I tend to avoid it.

obolon999
December 22, 2017 (edited December 22, 2017)
Member since 12/21/2017 🔗
5 posts

marzNC wrote:

Good for you!  Flying Southwest out of BWI is good for people who are bringing skis and have to pay for checked baggage on other airlines.  I gather this deal involving the SuperPass used to happen more often, but hadn't in the last few years.

For more than you need to know to enjoy skiing in LCC:

https://www.snowpak.com/utah/salt-lake-city/alta

https://www.snowpak.com/utah/salt-lake-city/snowbird

That's my byline for the text, and many of the pictures of buildings are also mine.

When does your flight arrive?  When does your flight home depart?  It's possible to ski on travel days, but I tend to avoid it.

I'm flying out of Dulles at 5:30 AM and landing at SLC at 10 AM. So, we will probably go up to Brighton, to catch rest of that day, plus they only resort out of four to have night skiing. Going back, my flight leaves SLC at 2:10 PM, and we will see what to do that morning, maybe some sightseeing......

I am flying all our stuff with us ( 2 sets of ski gear, and one snowboard set ), should I be worried about my flight being connected? Never had problems with Southwest before, but most of my travel involves carry-on....

oddballstocks
December 22, 2017
Member since 02/11/2017 🔗
123 posts

This is a good deal, I sprung for it this year.

I prefer to visit Utah much later in the winter, or even early spring.  But with free lift tickets I'm booked last week in January.  Hoping they get some snow now!

JohnL
December 22, 2017
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Very tough year for Utah and CO so far. January is slower than Feb/Mar, so deals are easier to get in Jan. Don’t know if the poor year to date was an added incentive for the great deal you got.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 22, 2017
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

obolon999 wrote:

I'm flying out of Dulles at 5:30 AM and landing at SLC at 10 AM. So, we will probably go up to Brighton, to catch rest of that day, plus they only resort out of four to have night skiing. Going back, my flight leaves SLC at 2:10 PM, and we will see what to do that morning, maybe some sightseeing......

I am flying all our stuff with us ( 2 sets of ski gear, and one snowboard set ), should I be worried about my flight being connected? Never had problems with Southwest before, but most of my travel involves carry-on....

I always carry my boots with me.  Haven't had an issue with connecting flights in terms of checked baggage.  But my friend did have a suitcase not make it to SLC flying from Ohio.  He's ski bag made it.  He had enough with him to ski for a day.  We did stop by a consignment store in SLC (2nd Tracks) so he could get a base layer.

While Brighton has night skiing, may be a bit much for Day 1 to ski that late.  Being at high altitude requires some adjustment.  Can be better to not overdo the first day so that you can enjoy the rest of the ski days fully.  Drink plenty of water.  Good to start a couple days before flying out.

Are you renting a car?

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.