3k+ views
Bonzski
October 26, 2017
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Basic info http://www.snowshoeskiteam.com/home

Registration for athletes (age 7-18) is open here

https://go.teamsnap.com/forms/88821/signups/new

Due to continued growth in the number of athletes we're looking for more coaches. PM me if you're interested in coaching.

Reisen
November 4, 2018
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

So, I'm thinking about putting my daughter (age 8) on a race team this winter.  I spoke to Dale about Snowshoe's team last winter.  This would be ideal, as we all have Ikon passes with the Primo add-on, but the drive is just so far to do it every weekend...  Plus, we would need to pay for lodging, as I think it's just too far to do day trips.  We also have a just-turned 4 y/o, so that limits us somewhat.  A couple of observations:

- The snowshoe race team site needs more information.  It is at least somewhat updated (Whitetail's, for instance, is not).  But it's not clear to me when they practice (mornings and afternoons?  Sat and Sun?), how much attendance is required, etc.  Cost is also not clear.  Is it $800 for everyone, or only if your child competes in races and not just training?

- I looked at Liberty as an option, but while they have a great site, they seem to place large demands on the children / parents in terms of attendance.  I think I would also pay more in cost there, as I would need to buy an advantage card and tickets for our family to ski while my daughter trains (we could all ski for free at Snowshoe).

- The other option would be Massanutten, which has a good (updated site), and a strong value prop.  The $600 fee includes a season pass for the child, and they have discounted season passes for families of race team members.  My issues is that if we have Ikon passes with the primo add-ons, we would be splitting time between Massanutten, Snowshoe, and out west.  That seems... complicated.  

Right now, I'm thinking either Snowshoe team and just do it twice per month or so, Massanutten and try to do it more often (because it's less than half the drive, and almost all highway), or just skip it this year and ski as a family / put her in some lessons...

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 4, 2018
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Reisen wrote:

So, I'm thinking about putting my daughter (age 8) on a race team this winter.  . . .

- The other option would be Massanutten, which has a good (updated site), and a strong value prop.  The $600 fee includes a season pass for the child, and they have discounted season passes for families of race team members.  My issues is that if we have Ikon passes with the primo add-ons, we would be splitting time between Massanutten, Snowshoe, and out west.  That seems... complicated.  

Right now, I'm thinking either Snowshoe team and just do it twice per month or so, Massanutten and try to do it more often (because it's less than half the drive, and almost all highway), or just skip it this year and ski as a family / put her in some lessons...

Been there on thinking about the Massanutten Dev Team.  It's a good program based on what I've observed first hand over the years.  Made the offer to my daughter when she was a tween and didn't have a regular friend for weekend ski trips.  She decided it wasn't worth the travel time so we stuck with free skiing with the option of full day ski school once a weekend if she was interested.  I had her do a few 90-min clinics (old system) early in the season.

How much has your daughter skied at Massanutten?  Does she have friends to ski with at Snowshoe?  At that age, my daughter would stay out all day with a friend.  Just skiing with me . . . not as enthusiastic.  Part of becoming a tween.

kwillg6
November 4, 2018
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

Been there, done that, and can advise based on close to 12 years of experience.  

First, ask the question, why am I doing this?  Is it to get quality instruction for your child or is a vicarious attempt to have her love out your dreams of being a ski racer.  My wife and I had our son join the shoe' s race team back in the day.  This was when it didn't cost a years morgage equivilent to put our son on the team.  We looked at how we could offset the costs and developed a plan. We had spent a half dozen weekends the previous year at the shoe with our son in kid's school there.  The team fees in the 90s weren't ridiculous like now.  So we went in search of housing for the season.  After looking at the situation, we decided to join ski school which helped with the travel (3.5 hours) and the housing costs.  We had to eat no matter where we were so it was a wash with the exception of equipment which after becoming PSIA, made those costs within budget.

We did the shoe for 3 years and made a lot of friends there whith whom we still remain close.  Had problems with the shoe in that it's a party mountian and is so spread out that our meet up place and time was difficult to meet.  So we looked elsewhere.  Visted Timberline and loved the mountain.  Had a big mountain feel but all trails ended in a base area. Cost was very reasonable but ran into the same housing issue so we opted to buy a small condo and did the race mom and dad thing for 10 years as courtsey patrollers which meant we skied free.  

Timberline still has a good team but the mountain has issues. It's not a mountain controlled team so parents make all the decisions and set dues, etc....The cost has increased to expensive, like $1500/2000 year.   Most mountains have similar costs in order to pay coaches, hold races, etc...  Parents of racers at most mountains are required to do races, and other events.  Most mountains have race teams so you need to check web sites, interview other parents, etc...  In VA, Bryce, Massanutten, Wintergreen all have teams.  Some are for competitiopn and others are developmental.  Depends on your buy in to the program and at different costs.  I know most of the coaches and people even though my son is long gone from junior racing.  He was successful and won numerous races, competed in college, and became a USSA certified level II coach.  

My advice to you is to take your time and explore what each mountain has and ask questions. For a child your daughter's age I'd recommend a developmental program that she doesn't need to be at every weekend.  After she makes up her mind that she does or doesn't want to do it your decisions will be very easy.  You may want to check and see if the mountains have an early season "camp" where they can meet the other kids in the program and decide if it's a good fit. 

Bonzski
November 4, 2018
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

We practice every Sat and Sun, 830am to 230pm with 1hr lunch @1130.  Season runs early Dec thru March. The mornings are for practicing on a course and/or drills using various equipment.  But we limit the U10 athletes exposure by mixing with related free-ski drills. The afternoon is solely free-skiing drills.There's no minimum attendance requirements nor is the athlete required to race.  Our goals are simple: develop the athletes to be great skiers for life and be stewards of the mountains.  Their race "success" is up to the athletes passion and want to work hard which we'll support. The fee is same, race or not.

A couple other options to consider: 

1. Bring your daughter to a one-day practice to gauge her interest etc.

2. Attend our Christmas camp....5-days straight the week between Christmas and NY.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.