Things Are Looking Mighty White in Summit County, CO.
6 posts
3 users
2k+ views
bob
October 3, 2017 (edited October 3, 2017)
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

Heavy snow closed I-70 multiple times Sunday night / Monday. The snow was heavy and caused major power outages in the county. A-Basin webcams show winter like scenes. If cold weather holds, I woud not be suprised to see the basin open next week.

http://arapahoebasin.com/ABasin/snow-conditions/web-cams.aspx

Adding weather.com news about the storm:

https://weather.com/storms/winter/news/rockies-snow-montana-colorado-wyoming-early-october-2017

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 3, 2017
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

OnTheSnow has 10/15 posted as opening day for Loveland.  With A-basin at 10/20.

The other October dates are 10/27 for Mt Rose and 10/28 for Killington.

Anyone planning to go skiing for Halloween? ;-)

bob
October 4, 2017
755 posts

marzNC wrote:

At this point neither has announced an opening date. Normally that happens a day or two before the date. Also, it's unlikely that Loveland would beat the Basin by 5 days. A Basin has one inherent advantage: it only has to cover 600 feet of vert to open it's first chair, while Loveland has to cover 1000 feet. Thus, my guess is that the Basin will be the first to open, although ties have happened in the past.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 4, 2017
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

bob wrote:

marzNC wrote:

At this point neither has announced an opening date. Normally that happens a day or two before the date. Also, it's unlikely that Loveland would beat the Basin by 5 days. A Basin has one inherent advantage: it only has to cover 600 feet of vert to open it's first chair, while Loveland has to cover 1000 feet. Thus, my guess is that the Basin will be the first to open, although ties have happened in the past.

I'm well aware that OnTheSnow is not the best place to look for Opening Dates.  At least not until December.  But it's fun to see what is listed.

I also watch to see who opens first in the NC mountains.  Usually a race between the two smallest ski areas, Cataloochee and App.  Easy to get going as soon as the weather turns consistently cold when only have about 25 acres to cover.

fishnski
October 7, 2017
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Snow storm for Monday all the way down to the Denver area...thats 144 days since the last storm on May 18...this beats a 72 year old record for the shortest summer....
bob
October 8, 2017
755 posts

Apparently there was backcountry skiing off of Loveland pass earlier this week -- courtesy of the almost 2 feet of fresh that came down last weekend.

http://www.summitdaily.com/news/sports/october-skiing-on-loveland-pass-photo-slideshow/

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.