Of mice and moguls.
Home
Southwest Fall sale?
23 posts from 10 users
Updated 8 days ago
Jump to Newest Post
13 days ago

I know Southwest usually has a fall sale, does anyone know when that is, typically? I’m looking forward to getting out to SLC in Feb this winter.

13 days ago

The past couple years it was in Oct

13 days ago

Fairfax school spring break is last week of March.  Do you think that its too late to ski at ParkCity or Alta.  Don’t especially like skiing on mushy snow.

13 days ago

too late?  park city:yes.  alta: no.

12 days ago

spirou wrote:

Fairfax school spring break is last week of March.  Do you think that its too late to ski at ParkCity or Alta.  Don’t especially like skiing on mushy snow.

Definitely not too late for Alta/Snowbird in late March.  Of course, can never tell.  The worst spring skiing I’ve experienced at Alta in the last 10 years was last March.  Not late March, but the the second full week of March that happened to be in the middle of the heat wave.  It was in the high 50s at the base by lunch time.  Great powder two weeks before and good skiing two weeks later when I was back at Alta (without daughter).  10+ inches of powder the weekend of April 8-9.

FYI, I’ll be at Alta Lodge with my daughter and other friends the last week of March.  The friends live in Arlington.  All the kids (high school) have spring break that week before Easter.

12 days ago

If anyone is considering a European ski trip this winter, there are amazing sales on flights to Zurich right now ($4xxish).  Just do a google flights search.

12 days ago

SW Airline sale: It is in progress right now, I think

12 days ago

The Colonel wrote:

SW Airline sale: It is in progress right now, I think

I’ve been getting emails from SW about “sales” a lot more often this summer.  Almost every week.  But only for specific destinations from specific departure cities.  The big general sale in the last few years was a 3-day sale in early Oct.  There was a 2-day sale in late August 2017.

Right now the lowest price from RDU to SLC round-trip during late season in April is about $400.  Last Sept the price for a March 2017 spring break trip was $404 in early Sept and $330 a couple weeks later.  Of course, impossible to predict what will happen this fall.  Much like the long term weather forecast for snow. ;-)

12 days ago

The fall sale (for travel before Christmas and after New Year til about March 1) was August 22-24. Depending on distance one way fares were $49, $79, $99 and $129. The weekly “fare sales” you continually see are not really sales.

The next real sale will be next June or early July   for travel befoe Christmas 2018. I started a thread about SW’s earlier fare sale three months ago:  

http://www.dcski.com/forum/90497#new

11 days ago

So I was looking at some of the southwest flights today to try to go out west for the first time. Hoping to ski for at least 4 days, Keystone/A-Basin was my top choice,but winter park and Steamboat seem to be signifigantly cheaper…. because of current sales.

Any thoughts on those options, or is it one of those things for a first trip out west all of the options are decent?

11 days ago

rbrtlav wrote:

So I was looking at some of the southwest flights today to try to go out west for the first time. Hoping to ski for at least 4 days, Keystone/A-Basin was my top choice,but winter park and Steamboat seem to be signifigantly cheaper…. because of current sales.

Any thoughts on those options, or is it one of those things for a first trip out west all of the options are decent?

What timeframe are you thinking about?  What type of terrain are you looking for?  Lodging preference?

11 days ago

marzNC wrote:

rbrtlav wrote:

What timeframe are you thinking about?  What type of terrain are you looking for?  Lodging preference?

I agree with those questions. Lift ticket costs will produce sticker shock with any area tied to Vail having lift ticket costs exceet $160/day. Smaller areas (Loveland, A-Basin, etc ) will offer 4-packs which will cost less than $50/day if bought far enough in advance. If you insist on a Vail property, look at buiying one of the season passes. It’ll still be pricey (summit pass) for a 4 day trip (probably $125/day for 4 days at Keystone), but that beats $160/day. That cost lets you skii 100 or 1 days.

10 days ago

We are looking at early Febuary most likely (pricing for Jan 31-Feb 6). As far as terrain, none of us have ever been out west, but are all very comfortable on the terrain in the mid-atlantic. None of us are crazy about skiing the woods or moguls.

As far as lodging, we are looking to be within walking or convienent shuttle service to the slopes and pretty much just need a place to stash our belongings and sleep. Being within walking or shuttle distance of resturaunts and apres’ options would be desired.

If we go the Vail route I suspect we would do the 4 Day Keystone/A-Basin ticket, but I’d be up for other options. It looked as if Winter Park/Steamboat are doing some pretty good bundles for lodging/lift right now and at this point I would also say the max pass is an option for tickets as well. (All of our group has Snowshoe passes, so we would do the up-charge + add on)

10 days ago

rbrtlav wrote:

If we go the Vail route I suspect we would do the 4 Day Keystone/A-Basin ticket, but I’d be up for other options. It looked as if Winter Park/Steamboat are doing some pretty good bundles for lodging/lift right now and at this point I would also say the max pass is an option for tickets as well. (All of our group has Snowshoe passes, so we would do the up-charge + add on)

A-Basin has no lodging, altough it has hourly bus service from Dillon and Silverthorne. Keyston has lodging as well as shutles and the same bus as Dillon. Don’t forget that Copper is owned by the same people as Winter Park and Steamboat. Copper and Steamboat have an abundance of lodging option. I’m not as familiar with the Winter Park options. If the Max Pass is a reasonable upgrade for you, one or more of those three might be good for you.

The big differences between Mid Atlantic and Wester skiing are (normally) better snow conditions and much longer trail length. Depending on where you are skiing, trails with the same designation (ie, blue to blue) across regins may be steeper. For example, A-Basin has a few blues that would be blacks (maybe double blacks) in the mid Atlantic.

10 days ago

Check ski and stay packages at Steamboat and Copper.

10 days ago

rbrtlav wrote:

We are looking at early Febuary most likely (pricing for Jan 31-Feb 6). As far as terrain, none of us have ever been out west, but are all very comfortable on the terrain in the mid-atlantic. None of us are crazy about skiing the woods or moguls.

As far as lodging, we are looking to be within walking or convienent shuttle service to the slopes and pretty much just need a place to stash our belongings and sleep. Being within walking or shuttle distance of resturaunts and apres’ options would be desired.

What!?! I missed the Fall sale? That’s terrible news. 

We loved Winter Park last year, one section of the mountain (Mary Jane) is well known for moguls and trees, but there is a lot of other fun terrain in that area as well- the Parsenn Bowl. The rest of the mountain is fun, too. We went to Steamboat, too last year, it was nice, but the conditions weren’t as good, we were there in the beginning of Feb, but they had a warm snap, it was raining at the base of the mountain. I’m sure you’ll have a great time at any of those places, I’d check Copper out, too, they have some good deals and a lot of fun cruisers if you’re not that into moguls or trees.

9 days ago

rbrtlav wrote:

Between Steamboat and Copper, I would go for Steamboat.  There is a real town there.  The bus system is pretty good so don’t need to drive once you get there.  Can fly into Hayden and be close to Steamboat so no long shuttle ride or rental car drive.  The drive from Denver can be a pain if it’s snowing.

At Copper, the greens, blues, and advanced terrain are separate areas.  That can be good for a group who is about the same ability level.  Not so good for a multi-ability group who wants to start at the top of a lift together and meet up at the bottom.

Has your group had the chance to ski in fresh snow at Snowshoe or Timberline?  How deep?

Has your group slept at high altitude?  As in over 7000 ft?

9 days ago

bob wrote:

The fall sale (for travel before Christmas and after New Year til about March 1) was August 22-24. Depending on distance one way fares were $49, $79, $99 and $129. The weekly “fare sales” you continually see are not really sales.

The next real sale will be next June or early July   for travel befoe Christmas 2018. I started a thread about SW’s earlier fare sale three months ago:  

How do you know for sure that SW won’t have a 2-3 day sale in early Oct?

Prices dropped in the last week or so for ABQ.  Going with a few friends and we all bought our plane tickets now to lock in specific dates/times.  We spent the summer working out the dates in Feb that would work for everyone.

9 days ago

marzNC wrote:

bob wrote:

How do you know for sure that SW won’t have a 2-3 day sale in early Oct?

Prices dropped in the last week or so for ABQ.  Going with a few friends and we all bought our plane tickets now to lock in specific dates/times.  We spent the summer working out the dates in Feb that would work for everyone.

Well, I’ve flown Southwest since 1978 - 5 years after they were founded. I’ve been A List since the program started and would have been A List a decae earlier if the program had existed. I do know the airline. For at least the last 10 years Southwest has had 2 REAL sales a year. One in June for travel after Labor Day til just before Christmas, and a second one in August for the same period as the June sale pus the time after New Years Day til late February. The pattern hasn’t changed in a decade. 

Do a web search for Southwest fare sale. You’ll find thse two for this year.

9 days ago

bob wrote:

Well, I’ve flown Southwest since 1978 - 5 years after they were founded. I’ve been A List since the program started and would have been A List a decae earlier if the program had existed. I do know the airline. For at least the last 10 years Southwest has had 2 REAL sales a year. One in June for travel after Labor Day til just before Christmas, and a second one in August for the same period as the June sale pus the time after New Years Day til late February. The pattern hasn’t changed in a decade. 

Good to know, thanks.  When I started flying out west to ski, I made use of the early Oct sale for late season trips in April.  That’s what folks on SkiSE talked about.  Few of them were ready to buy plane tickets in August even if they were planning a mid-season trip.  My trips to Alta are usually March or April so the August sale doesn’t help.

I learned about the June sale when booking flights for my daughter for winter break when she was in school in upstate NY.

9 days ago

Steamboat had a great deal last year they offered at the DC REI that was something like $225 for a 3-day ticket (so $75/day).  Similar to the Snowshoe deal, and they may have even offered it alongside the Snowshoe 3-pack.  I was able to buy it online, amazingly, and took a group of 10 out there.  Other than tearing my meniscus at the end of the first day, it was a great trip.

We’re strongly thinking about going back.  Terrain is definitely a bit more mellow than other places I’ve been, but if this is your first trip out west, that’s probably a good thing.  Unless you spend a lot of time in Vermont/NH, or routinely do backflips off boulders under the Ballhooter lift line, I think the step up to difficult west-coast terrain (think something like Corbets at JH) is often a bit of an adjustment for DC/VA/WV/PA/NC skiers.  

8 days ago

Interesting, one travel website mentioned Southwest having good fares before Sept. 21 for selected cities:

“There are low fares from Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City and San Francisco. You’ll need to book by September 21 and travel from September 26, 2017 - March 7, 2018. These Southwest flight deals won’t last long, so check out the sample routes below and book soon!”

https://www.skyscanner.com/tips-and-inspiration/southwest-airlines-sale-flights-skyscanner

I decided to go ahead and book two tickets for me and my daughter from RDU to SLC in late March.  It’s a big spring break week since Easter is April 1.  Got the last two $219 tickets for the early morning flight that makes it possible to ski in the afternoon after arrival in SLC.  Price went to $299 when I was done with the purchase.

8 days ago

I probqbly wasn’t clear. SW has only two SYSTEMWIDE fare sales a year. Like all airlines, it may discount fares between any city pair at any time.

marzNC wrote:

Interesting, one travel website mentioned Southwest having good fares before Sept. 21 for selected cities:

Ad: 2017 Pro-Fit Ski & Snowboard Swaps Announced!

Sharpen your edges. And pencils.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.21 seconds