Laurel Highlands Off Season Improvements
14 posts
9 users
4k+ views
msprings
September 1, 2017
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts

I haven't heard or seen much with regards to changes at 7 Springs, Hidden Valley, or Laurel Mountain this offseason. Just wondering if there is anything going on. Right now it looks like the volunteer gang clearing tress at Laurel was the biggest improvement this offseason (S/O to all who showed up to volunteer, mad respect)

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
September 2, 2017
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Only thing I have seen at HV is construction at the snow making lake intake.

imp - DCSki Supporter 
September 3, 2017
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts

dredging out the upper lake, Lake Helen, to increase water capacity. 

not sure if George is getting dregged but the increase in water capacity is signfiicant

September 12, 2017
1,576 posts

I seem to remember that Laurel Mtn had some snow making equipment problems last winter that hindered snow making. I assume that 7S is addressing or has addressed this issue?  I also understand that 7S lost money last winter (no surprises there) and perhaps then, the capital for new improvements is just not there?  We need a good winter to fatten the calf.

rbrtlav
September 12, 2017
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

snowsmith wrote:

I also understand that 7S lost money last winter (no surprises there) and perhaps then, the capital for new improvements is just not there?  We need a good winter to fatten the calf.

Thats no excuse, Whitetail has dropped 1+ million, Snowshoe has dropped 3+ million,  Liberty has spent $$$ on snowmaking and other thing, and expenses of this magnitude should have been budgeted and planned before the season.

That being said.... many of the updates that Snowshoe and Whitetail have made would only be known if you were there regularly over the summer or read an article like the one Scott posted about Whitetail. So hopefully 7 Springs has spent some money on some snowmaking improvements or other small things around the resort. I don't think anyone was expecting a shiny new lift or new trails. Keep in mind things like replacing haul lines on lifts, increasing snowmaking, painting, etc don't always go noticed but still cost money. 

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit... but I really can't believe a resort that size had no capital improvements.

Laurel Highlands
September 18, 2017
Member since 10/29/2013 🔗
54 posts

Usually, the resorts are all to willing to tout their investments and upgrades, especialy this time of year to create some excitment for the upcoming season.  So either not much has taken place, or else their marketing department isn't doing it.   With the exception of the opening of Laurel Last year, which to a great degree was agreed and driven by the investment from the state, imho investments at 7S and HV seem to been modest recently, especially in comparison to the projects noted at Whitetail, Liberty, Snoeshow, etc.

On a broader scale, there was lots of talk by Nutting and Co.at the time of the HV acquisition, as well as with  Laurel, that they wanted to market these combined resorts as a destination,  especially for the Balt/Washington crowd.  Can't say that I have seen any noticable outreach:  Most skiiers here in the MD suburbs continue to be more focused on Whitetail./Liberty and WISP, with relatively little awareness of the combined Laurel Highlands Resorts.  Obvious things that would tie it together such as shuttle bus between resorts (especially 7S and HV)  were unfortunately rejected early in the process. 

hockeydave
September 20, 2017
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts

All one has to do is look at the current state of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Basically, the Pirates GM stated that, and I'm paraphrasing, "We will improve the product if you come".  I'm sure that can be extrapolated to the resorts also. 

LM had issues with snowmaking pipes last year... no clue if they have been addressed.

The best thing that could happen to the Pirates and the Laurel resorts is for Bobby to sale everything and head straight back to Mountain Mama. Don't expect that anytime soon as long as MLB is putting $$$ in his pockets.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
September 20, 2017 (edited September 20, 2017)
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

hockeydave wrote:

All one has to do is look at the current state of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Basically, the Pirates GM stated that, and I'm paraphrasing, "We will improve the product if you come".  I'm sure that can be extrapolated to the resorts also. 

LM had issues with snowmaking pipes last year... no clue if they have been addressed.

The best thing that could happen to the Pirates and the Laurel resorts is for Bobby to sale everything and head straight back to Mountain Mama. Don't expect that anytime soon as long as MLB is putting $$$ in his pockets.

Amen, hockeydave, Amen.   

October 2, 2017
1,576 posts

Other than a report on Whitetail it seems that we have no resorts reporting in on improvements. I guess they either don't provide reports to Scott anymore or they haven't made any improvements. Wouldn't it make sense to advertise your proposed improvements when you put the season passes up for sale?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 2, 2017
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

snowsmith wrote:

Other than a report on Whitetail it seems that we have no resorts reporting in on improvements. I guess they either don't provide reports to Scott anymore or they haven't made any improvements. Wouldn't it make sense to advertise your proposed improvements when you put the season passes up for sale?

You thinking about western PA ski areas or in general?  SkiPA only has news about Whitetail and Montage so maybe not much has changed.

https://www.skipa.com/plan-a-trip/media-center-press-room/ski-area-press-releases

Massanutten has been telling their timeshare owners for a while about the new pipeline that greatly increases the amount of water available for snowmaking.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
October 16, 2017 (edited November 1, 2017)
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Laurel will have one restored historic glade found skiers left of Broadway at Old Innsbruck. The chair unload area and ramp has been reworked for safer exit. Note the latter close on Wednesday but latter open weekdays. Rates and Schedules are posted for this coming season: http://www.laurelmountainski.com/ski-ride/schedule-rates/. Friday through Sunday opening at 9AM Monday through Thursday 10AM. Closing Wednesday through Saturday at 9PM Sunday at 7PM. Monday and Tuesday at 5 PM. At $55 adult or $45 child for an all day pass, Laurel has the least expensive walk up weekend ticket around. 

msprings
November 1, 2017
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts

Straight from an emial sent out to 7 Springs Pass Holders:

SNOWMAKING IMPROVEMENTS 

• 66 HKD Impulse R-5 tower snowguns and 6 HKD R-5 Viper snowguns are being added to Wagner and Gunnar slopes, which use a reduced amount of compressed air and allow the snowmaking team to tailor output to adapt the system to varying weather conditions.
  • The snowmaking stations on Gunnar Slope, Yodeler Trail and Lost Girl Trail are being converted to a high-pressure system. The increased water pressure will significantly increase performance, generating more snow of better quality.
  • A 900-foot string of nine snowmaking towers has been added to expand the size of North Park, which has been redesigned into a boardercross-style freestyle area, full of small and medium features, bank turns and transition.

NEW RENTAL EQUIPMENT 

• The Seven Springs Rental Center will offer a brand new fleet of Rossignol children’s skis and boots and Burton snowboards and boots this winter.

OFF-MOUNTAIN RENOVATIONS

Many improvements have been made or are underway for the arrival of the winter season!

• The Center Lobby and Bavarian Lounge are being completely renovated with updated flooring, finishes, accents and furnishings.
  • Bass Rock Cottage, a three bedroom, four bathroom cottage located adjacent to the resort has been completely renovated and is now available for reservations. The cottage sleeps eight and offers luxurious yet rustic accommodations with a private pond and breathtaking views.
  • The Seven Springs hotel’s 414 rooms are being renovated:
    • 100 rooms and suites have received completely remodeled bathrooms, new carpeting, new paint, new furnishings and upgraded bedding and amenities.
    • All other rooms have received new carpet, new paint and upgraded furnishings, bedding and amenities.
November 1, 2017
1,576 posts

Fairly significant. Has a similar email been sent for HV and LM?  Anyone aware of any changes at the sister resorts?

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.