What do you do with old Skis
11 posts
9 users
4k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
May 2, 2017
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

What is the best thing to do with old skis?

There comes a time when you must part with the old sticks that are just taking up room in garage. I just moved and had to throw away 3 pairs becuase I could not find anywhere to take them. A couple of K2 Luvs with still good bindings and much loved Salomon X Scream that where crazy fast in the day and carving machines. 

But other than turning them into chairs what would of been the best course of action?

Bonzski
May 2, 2017
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Make a shot-ski.

Give to Ovechkin to club his next victim.

SCWVA
May 2, 2017 (edited May 2, 2017)
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

. Bonzski wrote:

Make a shot-ski.

. Or give them to Crosby and he could use it to cut the fingers off an opposing player.
Bonzski
May 2, 2017
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

SCWVA wrote:

. Bonzski wrote:

Make a shot-ski.

. Or give them to Crosby and he could use it to cut the fingers off an opposing player.

Hey that was a hockey move!

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
May 2, 2017 (edited May 2, 2017)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

I have given away the last 3 pairs in the ongoing downsizing project.  I gave them to good friends who I know are using them.  You can't sell them for much of anything.  The preseason sales in DC are full of badly overpriced used skis.  They travel the full circuit from one sale to another going unsold.  I'd rather give them to a friend than donate them anonymously.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
May 3, 2017
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

Assuming they are more than about 5 years old and about worthless, find some interested friends/neighbors and give them to them (preferably with old boots too).

Like Denis, by the time I jettison a ski they are pretty worthless.  I've only sold one or two pairs in 50 years of skiing.  I either give them away or my wife puts them in the trash.  I'd love to save every ski I ever owned by myself and my other five family members, but my wife wouldn't allow that.  I have a quiver of two good skis (80 and 106mm) and a couple more rarely used back-ups.  Based on that, my wife has a rule; for every new acquisition, one must go.  Personally, I don't have the heart to put a ski out for the trashman, but under extreme pressure I'll let my wife do it:-) 

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
May 3, 2017
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Alternatives to the trash or chairs .......

fishnski
May 3, 2017
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts

You should not just drag them out of your storage area and slap them on because you had your state of the art skiis stolen the day b4....like we did and then Betterhalfski busted her leg in half because the bindings didn't pop as they should during a bad fall..or a minor fall for that matter...get them serviced and checked out!....we are supposed to have migrated north from Florida to NC by now but we cant leave Florida untill the Doc releases her...6 month process for a serious break and surgery!....

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
May 4, 2017
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

fishnski wrote:

You should not just drag them out of your storage area and slap them on because you had your state of the art skiis stolen the day b4....like we did and then Betterhalfski busted her leg in half because the bindings didn't pop as they should during a bad fall..or a minor fall for that matter...get them serviced and checked out!....we are supposed to have migrated north from Florida to NC by now but we cant leave Florida untill the Doc releases her...6 month process for a serious break and surgery!....

very sorry to to hear this sad story.  Heal well.  We look forward to hearing from you next season.

crgildart
May 5, 2017
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

JohnL
May 5, 2017
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Bonzski wrote:

SCWVA wrote:

. Bonzski wrote:

Make a shot-ski.

Hey that was a hockey move!

So was this:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/news/sidney-crosby-penguins-cheap-shot-video-sabres-ryan-oreilly-nhl/3dfyi2qe7w4j110jc6z7trv1a

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?