Season Passes for Next Year?
29 posts
9 users
8k+ views
JohnL
April 7, 2017
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Who has signed up for passes for the 2017-18 ski year?

I'll have year three of the Timberline #NotSoAwesomePass, Canaan Valley (early purchase discount), Mountain Collective (3rd free day at Jackson Hole, will hit 3x Utah resorts), and will do Spring Pass at ABasin (with upgrade to following year's pass.)

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
April 7, 2017
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Laurel Mountain pass, Timberline #NotSoAwesomePass, and although not purchased yet I will be getting the PA Dedicated Skier pass. I might get the MCP. JohnL, do you have to pick the third day of MCP at the time of purchase?                                                                              

JohnL
April 7, 2017
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Yep, on third day. That xtra doesnt last long.

rbrtlav
April 7, 2017
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I currently have snowshoe for next year, and will probably get snowtime pass or advantage card and depending on work travel might add the max pass to my snowshoe pass.

wisp posted something on instagram making it sound like they will be running a special on their pass. I wonder if this has anything to do with the feedback they got from their lack of snowmaking this year.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 8, 2017
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

Laurel Mountain pass, Timberline #NotSoAwesomePass, and although not purchased yet I will be getting the PA Dedicated Skier pass. I might get the MCP. JohnL, do you have to pick the third day of MCP at the time of purchase?                                                                              

Lowest price for the MCP, with bonus day, probably will be gone within a week.  The bonus day has been available until June in the past.  But no guarantees the same will happen this year.  Slight changes in pricing and timing every year.

April 8, 2017
2,038 posts

MCP just went up to $429.

April 8, 2017
2,038 posts

Just purchased the MCP. To further update my pass purchases for next season, I still have a sizeable balance with Liftopia from cancelling this year's Utah vacation due to my wife's protracted illness. Now I might finally break that 50 day per season threshold next year.

JohnL
April 8, 2017
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Just purchased the MCP. To further update my pass purchases for next season, I still have a sizeable balance with Liftopia from cancelling this year's Utah vacation due to my wife's protracted illness. Now I might finally break that 50 day per season threshold next year.

Did you buy some sort of ticket insurance?

April 8, 2017
2,038 posts

JohnL wrote:

Did you buy some sort of ticket insurance?

The insurance offered through the MCP is not available for residence of PA. for some reason. What was the deal on the insurance?

JohnL
April 8, 2017
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

I was asking about Lifopia balance, not MCP. I thought Lifopia was use or lose. Is there something I'm missing?

Hope Kathy is doing better.

April 8, 2017 (edited April 8, 2017)
2,038 posts

JohnL wrote:

I was asking about Lifopia balance, not MCP. I thought Lifopia was use or lose. Is there something I'm missing?

Kathy is doing better and now she has an additional reason to hit her fitness goals. This protracted pulmonary illness has left her really weak. Her breathing is much better. I'm suspecting that her "asthma" was a long term bacterial infection, real long term.

Liftopia will credit your account with proof of valid medical reason (letter from your doctor). They will not refund your money but they will credit your account for your original purchase amount. Not only did they credit her purchase but also the amount my son and I spent. 

Do you think this is the Capitols year or will they continue to dissappoint? I think they are the team to beat this year, at least in our division. The Pens have been playing well and getting a lot of "secondary" scoring but I worry that inguries will catch up to them. 

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
April 9, 2017
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I have the Snowshoe pass for next season.  Strongly considering the Max Pass Add on if it is an option this year.

rbr - My buddy in Deep Creek txt me last night - Wisp has a 249 pass

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
July 1, 2017
3,246 posts

The MCP went off sale as of 7/1/17 at $449 with the bonus day.  Website says it will be available again in the "fall" and usually means some time in August.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 12, 2017
3,246 posts

The MAX Pass went up to $729 for adults after 10/10/17. Still a decent deal for someone who can get in 12+ days, especially with one week ski vacation to Big Sky or Steamboat or Crested Butte. Or one of the higher end resorts in the northeast such as Tremblant, Killington, Stratton, or Okemo. Essentially any place where it's hard to find a lift ticket for <$90/day.

The Add-on, Teen, and Youth prices went up $50 too.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 12, 2017
3,246 posts

The MCP was $469 in August and September, then went up to $489 on Oct. 1.  Niseko was added during the summer.

Of course, it's hard to say what U.S. locations will be with the MCP for 2018-19 with the ownership changes completed in 2017 for Intrawest (Snowshoe, Tremblant, Steamboat, etc.), Mammoth, and Deer Valley that combine them with Squaw/Alpine.

JohnL
October 14, 2017
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

I Plan on using MCP for Alta, Bird, Snowbasin, JH and Sugarbush this season.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 14, 2017
3,246 posts

JohnL wrote:

When are you going to SLC?

I'm going to Taos and Telluride in Feb.  Alta/Snowbird during late season per usual.

JohnL
October 15, 2017
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

marzNC wrote:

JohnL wrote:

I'm going to Taos and Telluride in Feb.  Alta/Snowbird during late season per usual.

Pugski Gathering is main trip. Hope to get another first week of April.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 15, 2017
3,246 posts

JohnL wrote:

marzNC wrote:

Pugski Gathering is main trip. Hope to get another first week of April.

I'll make a note about early April.  Current plan is that Bill and I will be at Alta Lodge in the middle of a longer stay.  But if other friends don't make it that week, we might go elsewhere for a few days.  Or do day trips away from LCC.

oldensign - DCSki Columnist
October 17, 2017
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

What did the Max Pass start at this year? It is now around 800. Still a good deal. 

I am locked into Epic this year but my return to the East Coast may have me look at Max next year. Especially as I like to ski multiple places.  

oldensign - DCSki Columnist
October 17, 2017
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

never mind saw the answer in the thread...thanks

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 17, 2017
3,246 posts

oldensign wrote:

What did the Max Pass start at this year? It is now around 800. Still a good deal. 

I am locked into Epic this year but my return to the East Coast may have me look at Max next year. Especially as I like to ski multiple places.  

Yep, still a decent deal for someone who is planning to ski 5 days at one of the major resorts on the MAX Pass.  But probably more useful to someone who wants to add on to an existing season pass.  For a standalone MAX Pass bought in October, makes sense only if can be sure of getting in 12+ days by the end of the season.

With the change in ownership for Intrawest and the creation of a multi-resort company that includes a few current MCP destination resorts (Squaw/Alpine, Mammoth), very hard to say what the MAX Pass will include for 2018-19.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 29, 2017
3,246 posts

Mountain Collective Pass at $489 is about to end.  Last December the price went up $50.

Got a Full Season Pass for Massanutten.  Only adds Saturday day time compared to the Special Value Pass but I already have plans to ski the first two Saturdays of January and perhaps a couple more before I head west in Feb.  Early season rate ends Dec. 1.

Mnut did Cyber Monday deals on Facebook.  I think that's a new approach.  Sold a limited number of Special Value Passes for 15% off in a very short time window.  Also had discounts on an annual pass for the waterpark.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
May 22, 2018 (edited May 22, 2018)
3,246 posts

Got good value from the 2017-18 MCP.  For trips that started with a flight out west, I ended up with 31 days, and 27 were based on using MCP.  Part of the incentive for deciding in April to add a trip in early May was to use the MCP at Squaw and Mammoth.  I skied at six MCP locations, or five if you count Alta/Snowbird as a single location even though they were separate MCP destinations (2 + 2 days included possible).  The other new resort was Telluride for 3 days after a week at Taos in February.

Telluride moved to be a perk on the Epic pass for 2018-19 and the forseeable future, so good thing my friends and I decided to check it out.  While the Ikon pass might be of interest in the future, not many Epic locations are high on my bucket list.

Also skied 11 days at Massanutten, including Opening Day on Dec. 15 and 3 Saturdays.  So the full season pass was well worth it as well.

wgo
May 22, 2018
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

What made the Ikon attractive for me was the presence of my home area (Snowshoe) on the list of available resorts. With snowshoe being only 3 hrs away I know I will get out there a fair amount. The reduced rate for kids passes was a big plus. Without this reduced rate or if I was 5-6 hours away I may not have bought the passes. 

Now, I just need to figure out how the trips out West or up to VT will work out logistically.

jimmy
May 22, 2018
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

I got the Ikon in place of the MCP for next season. MCP was perfect for a Utah trip in March. While the Ikon does not include Snowbasin I saw value in the number of New England ski areas included, and considering what's going on with the ski areas in Canaan Valley, unlimited days at Snowshoe is hard to pass up.

May 22, 2018
2,038 posts

I got value out of my MCP with 11 days use. I think I paid $430 last year and got 6 in Utah during the Gathering plus 2 at Jackson and 3 at Sugarbush. By contrst, my daughter joined us in Utah and bought lift tickets through Liftopia and ended up paying a bit more, $10 to $20 for 6 days at Utah than I paid for my MPC. 

David
May 23, 2018
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

I pulled the trigger on a $99 military discounted Epic Pass. Couldn't help myself...

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
July 29, 2018
3,246 posts

Not likely to make a difference for DC folks but there aren't many Powder Mountain season passes left for 2018-19.  The limit is 1500 adult passes and 3000 total.  Only 34 adult passes left as of late July.  Day tickets are limited as well and they do sell out on a few powder days.  Local families can get a Family Pass for $1760 good for 1-2 adults and 4 max.  Noticed that a pass for 75+ is $20.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?