Where would you go skiing to take advantage of this storm?
47 posts
23 users
5k+ views
snowglobe
March 12, 2017
Member since 03/12/2007 🔗
150 posts

So Whitetail, Liberty, Blue Knob, Wisp, Canaan Valley are already closed for the season. To take advantage of quite possibly the best conditions of this winter season, where would you guys go skiing this week?

Fortunately, I have both Wednesday and Thursday free and will be leaving from NOVA. Will do a day trip but willing to drive as far as 4 hours for the best product (haven't skied at all this season!)

Thinking about Timberline but their current trail counts are pretty low, not sure if they will open many more trails? Snowshoe seem to have the best product right now but it's a bit pushing it for a day trip and it doesn't seem like the storm will hit a jackpot there. Round Top might be a nice place and the closest place to go but the mountains are a bit too small. I have not been to Massanutten but haven't heard much great thing about it except that it has nice views. Blue Mountain in PA seems appealing and their current trail counts is looking pretty good.

Where would you guys go if you can take off during the mid week? Which day would be better Wednesday or Thursday?

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 12, 2017
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Snowshoe will have the most open.  They are blowing snow right now at 8 PM with a foot of snow looming in a current storm.

I admit I'm a SS "homer" but damnit, blowing snow on 3/12 - 3/13 with a storm on the way is a COMMITMENT to their passholders, homeowners and guests to not only stay open, but with a good product.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 12, 2017 (edited March 12, 2017)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

Snowshoe looks like a good call, but if you want to try another direction of similar drive mayber Elk Mtn, PA.  Sounds like they are going to get a dump just in time for your dates.  Or even go to Hunter Mtn, NY.  Could be worth staying overnight for a second day.

http://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=139f2e08691606a7&hl=en&gl=US&source=wweather

snowglobe
March 12, 2017
150 posts

Wow, glad to hear that they are blowing hard even when the storm is coming!  Any chance they will open up Shay's Revenge?

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
snowglobe
March 12, 2017
150 posts

Thanks @JimK !  Elk Mountain looks pretty sweet, I didn't think about it initially as it seems even a bit further than Snowshoe (I am in Vienna, VA). Seem like about 4.5-hour drive one-way there!  Hopefully if they hit the jackpot there, all the trails will be open?

fishnski
March 12, 2017 (edited March 12, 2017)
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Blue Mountain is closer 2 u plus it will be closer to the core of the Dump...Elk is further north and west of the heaviest...Blue has 1082 vert with high speed lifts...
fishnski
March 12, 2017
3,530 posts
Blue is 3.5 hrs from Vienna and has more hotel options..
crgildart
March 12, 2017
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Wintergreen has a great base under what is open.  I headed north instead of west this morning when the intellicast map showed better odds up than over.  Only flakes I saw not coming from guns were hitting my windsheild on the way out of Durham.  Bluebird at Wintergreen over the roar of about half their guns.  Snow was perfect for the temps and warm week leading up to today.  A couple inches of natty on top would be nice.

SCWVA
March 12, 2017
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Does RT have any bumps? Isn't TL closed midweek?
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 13, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Close by...probably Wintergreen

Best by further...Snowshoe

chaga
March 13, 2017
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

I would go to White Grass and Timberline!  both have no lifts running!  earn your turns, and get freshies for days!  powder on base!  

mwolf00
March 13, 2017
Member since 11/15/2016 🔗
21 posts

FWIW - I received an email from Wisp this morning saying that they do plan to reopen this week aided by the storm AND snow-making.  I don't know how much will be available, but it is nice that they haven't given up completely.  Rough winter...

snowglobe
March 13, 2017
150 posts

SCWVA wrote:

Does RT have any bumps? Isn't TL closed midweek?

Seem like TL does close midweek.. they will reopen on Friday though.. 

crgildart
March 13, 2017
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

SCWVA wrote:

Does RT have any bumps?

The Colonel wrote:

Close by...probably Wintergreen

Best by further...Snowshoe

Cliffhanger had a few ruts top left side, but not exactly what I'd call bumps... ungroomed but not nicely bumped up yet..

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
March 13, 2017 (edited March 13, 2017)
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

I went to Blue Mountain for the first time on Friday. Conditions weren't great (wet snow fell overnight) and only one major lift was open, but it's a decent ski area. If I could have waited a day, I'm sure it'd have been much better. I'm still going to do a write-up today or tomorrow.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
March 13, 2017
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

well always go for the max and according to that map it's.... da valley.  haha.  somekind of twisted timberline karma.  

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
March 13, 2017
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

Cliffhanger had a few ruts top left side, but not exactly what I'd call bumps... ungroomed but not nicely bumped up yet..

When 200 skiers hit a foot of fresh it will have bumps really fast.  No worries there. 

SCWVA
March 13, 2017
1,052 posts

pagamony wrote:

well always go for the max and according to that map it's.... da valley.  haha.  somekind of twisted timberline karma.

Tline would be my first choice, but since they're closed I'm looking for some alternative lift served skiing. 

Chaga,

I need the locals to break trail and set some track before I head to WG, as I'll have my three youngest with me and they've never been on skis with broken bindings before.  :)

chaga
March 13, 2017
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

SCWVA wrote:

Tline would be my first choice, but since they're closed I'm looking for some alternative lift served skiing. 

Chaga,

I need the locals to break trail and set some track before I head to WG, as I'll have my three youngest with me and they've never been on skis with broken bindings before.  :)

Don't worry about that, all 50K of trails should be roll pack or pisten bully groomed to perfection by wednesday I am sure! anyone curious to see what the WG trail system is all about, starting tomorrow and into the weekend it will be prime time! Hopefully there will be enough to ski the glades too!  

David
March 13, 2017
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

Planning to be at Snowshoe on Wednesday morning. Can't get anyone to go with me though...

ParkCrewDrew
March 13, 2017
Member since 01/24/2014 🔗
125 posts
North Eastern PA / Upstate New York seems to be the bullseye for this storm. Going North might be your best bet.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
March 14, 2017
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

The Timberline web site said they will be open 13-16 March. Wonder if they will be able to open additional terrain with all this natural snow. Thoughts?

snapdragon
March 14, 2017
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts

The Timberline website that I looked at says they will be closed March 13-16...are you sure you are looking at Timberline WV?

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
March 14, 2017
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

Misread. I meant 17-19 March. I think Whitegrass is the only option in th valley midweek at present.

Bdw611
March 14, 2017
Member since 02/29/2016 🔗
46 posts

The best bang for your buck will be Snowshoe. The web cams looked great this morning. Natural snow and blowing snow.  Looks like they are making a push for April.

snowglobe
March 14, 2017
150 posts

Seem like Elk will be getting a few feet of snow.. might be a good time to check it out.  Snowshoe is good but I wish they would be able to open everything (of course except silver creek).

March 14, 2017
1,580 posts

Bdw611 wrote:

The best bang for your buck will be Snowshoe. The web cams looked great this morning. Natural snow and blowing snow.  Looks like they are making a push for April.

Snow and Fog 

I wonder how much snow they will end with?

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 14, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Just took a quick at SS webcam, snowing hard!

March 14, 2017
1,580 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Just took a quick at SS webcam, snowing hard!

AND the guns are on ..... I wonder if they are going to make a push for April skiing ......hmmmmm

snowglobe
March 14, 2017
150 posts

While Snowshoe is looking really good right now, I was just looking at Hunter's website and they said they already got 25 inches today! Thinking about doing a overnight trip now. Are the Catskills resorts significantly better than Snowshoe? Thoughts?

JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 14, 2017 (edited March 14, 2017)
2,963 posts

I have done several reports on Hunter.  It's a pretty decent mtn when all open and non-weekend (weekends can be very busy).  It's the best in Catskill region and definitely worth consideration in current scenario. http://www.dcski.com/articles/1445

http://www.dcski.com/articles/1184

PS: update, Elk Mtn got about 30" from this storm!!!

ksampson3
March 14, 2017
Member since 01/9/2012 🔗
80 posts

Roundtop was absolutely fantastic today. It snowed all last night and until 3 pm today. They ended up with about a foot and a half. It was much colder up there (29 degrees all day) than it was back in DC (37 degrees), so the snow was pretty light. At points during the day, it was just puking down snow. We got first tracks in the morning, which was great. Then it gave way to tracked out junk for about 2 hours. After that, the rest of the day was aces. Nice soft snow that was being replenished every hour. We were with a couple of friends who ski out West with us and we all had the same comment - it was like a really good snow day out West. Now if the runs were only a little bit (ok, lotta bit) longer...

SCWVA
March 15, 2017
1,052 posts

ksampson3 wrote:

......so the snow was pretty light. ......... We were with a couple of friends who ski out West with us and we all had the same comment - it was like a really good snow day out West.....

Really??  You and your friends need to come ski some pow in the Valley.

Shotmaker
March 15, 2017
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

Hunter's western side is outstanding if your looking for double black bumps.  Skied there a couple years ago with 24" of fresh powder it reminded me of the many days skiing bumps in Tahoe after a dump. SS always good but would go north for this storm. There is always Gore or Whiteface to consider if you have the time. Mid March is usually the only time of the year to get on the Slides at Whiteface. Great fun there!

snowglobe
March 15, 2017
150 posts

JimK wrote:

I have done several reports on Hunter.  It's a pretty decent mtn when all open and non-weekend (weekends can be very busy).  It's the best in Catskill region and definitely worth consideration in current scenario. http://www.dcski.com/articles/1445

http://www.dcski.com/articles/1184

PS: update, Elk Mtn got about 30" from this storm!!!

Thanks @JimK! Seem like I will be hitting Elk and Hunter! 

snowglobe
March 15, 2017
150 posts

Shotmaker wrote:

Hunter's western side is outstanding if your looking for double black bumps.  Skied there a couple years ago with 24" of fresh powder it reminded me of the many days skiing bumps in Tahoe after a dump. SS always good but would go north for this storm. There is always Gore or Whiteface to consider if you have the time. Mid March is usually the only time of the year to get on the Slides at Whiteface. Great fun there!

Hopefully, Hunter West will be open.. Right now, it doesn't seem like they open up that side of the mountain yet!

Shotmaker
March 15, 2017
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

Whiteface just reported 40"+ !!!

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2017
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

http://www.whitegrass.com/report.html 

See that flag?  Wind is coming straight from the west.  That means more wrap around snow and lake effect, for several more days.

dwm8a
March 16, 2017
Member since 02/23/2017 🔗
55 posts

During the warm stretch in February I booked a flight to Burlington for this weekend to visit friends and spend the weekend at Stowe and Smugglers' Notch. I was worried the local spots would close up early. Both Stowe and Smugs' are reporting 50+ inches, so I officially hit the jackpot (maybe I should have booked a trip to Vegas instead!). I leave tomorrow and could not be more stoked.

March 16, 2017
1,580 posts

Always better to be lucky than good.  You did hit the jackpot!  

I'm one week behind you to New England so leave some for us and wish me luck!

SCWVA
March 16, 2017 (edited March 16, 2017)
1,052 posts

Denis wrote:

http://www.whitegrass.com/report.html

See that flag?  Wind is coming straight from the west.  That means more wrap around snow and lake effect, for several more days.

Whitegrass was quite nice yesterday.  Stella Blue Bird skies in the afternoon and lots of fresh snow.  If you haven't skied WG before (or this season), now is the time to go!

fishnski
March 16, 2017
3,530 posts

probably another 3,5 to 4 inches on top of what you had SCWVA since then..still snowing a little now...more this weekend....then the big April Blizzard?.......

JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 16, 2017 (edited March 16, 2017)
2,963 posts

WISP reopening Sat and Sun at discounted price:

Ski operations will commence on Saturday and Sunday, March 18th & 19th with Chair 2 or 3 operating from 9am - 5pm with tickets at $29 for adults and juniors.  

We're throwing in a special twist to make the weekend more festive!  'Life's a Beach' when you get a snowstorm in March so we're making the most of it with a DJ, giveaways, food and drink specials.  Bring your Hawaiian shirt, wear your hula skirt or ski in your swimsuit and come out for Wisp's winter re-opening.  

BRYCE is open too and has discounted tickets.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 16, 2017
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Whitegrass webcam,  http://www.whitegrass.com/White%20Grass%20Webcams.html 

the lower panel looks south at the WG open slope.  The wind is still from the west.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 16, 2017
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Seven Springs had Gunnar and the backside six running today. There was lots of wind packed natural laying around all over. It was good variable conditions but no light pow, only the heavy variety. There is a lot of snowmaking piles to groom out too. Skiing should be good at the Springs for a while. In case some of you Laurel pass holders don't know, Seven Springs will honor your Laurel Season Pass and any unused Wildcat passes through the end of the season. You must go to the season pass office get your lift ticket for the day.

oddballstocks
March 17, 2017
Member since 02/11/2017 🔗
123 posts

I hit up Seven Springs on Wednesday.  It was either the best, or second best day I've ever had there.

I was on the hill a few minutes past 9am and skied mostly untracked powder until lunch.  Giant Steps was incredible with boot to knee deep powder.  The knee deep stuff was blown against the tree lines.  There was a "Closed" sign for Giant Steps, which is why the powder was so good.  It was dicy to get there, Giant Boulder was open, but the top was blown off.  You had to dance a little hopping from one ski to the other to avoid the frozen dirt.

In the afternoon Avalance and Goose Bumps were the place to be.  Seems everyone instinctively flocked to the North Face and forgot that the frontside had some nice patches as well.  Skiers right on Avalanche was excellent and all of Goose Bumps sans one icy spot on a whale was excellent.

The place was skied off by 2pm so I headed home.

It was a different crowd than normal in the morning.  A bunch of local powder hounds like myself, all serious about skiing and getting laps in.  By the afternoon the crowd had changed to the usual snowboard trick park types.  As an example of the morning crowd I rode the lift with some guy who said he hike and poach the powder at Laurel in previous years after a good snow.

padjaski68
March 17, 2017
Member since 01/21/2016 🔗
95 posts
Heading up to Blue Mountain tomorrow. Anyone ski there before have any feedback? Is it better to park in the Valley or Summit? How is the food?

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?