Snowshoe looking great
16 posts
6 users
3k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 9, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

NOAH weather bureau ( out of Charleston) really looking cold and white for Snowshoe weekend and next week!  

MorganB

aka The Colonel

dt3
March 10, 2017
Member since 11/15/2009 🔗
24 posts

Have they turned off the guns for the year yet?

rbrtlav
March 10, 2017
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

No...we've been here all day. There is air in the lines and I suspect they will be running soon after the lifts closed. That being said, current coverage is better than I expected 

March 10, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Guns on at Snowshoe!!!!  Webcams show guns blasting away at top and bottom.  Should be great snow conditions!!

Enjoy!

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 11, 2017
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

A few guns are still running at 7 am.  They groomed 2X.  Once last night and again this morning.  Pretty sunny but appears to be windy and it's COLD.  

March 11, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Blue Don,  How com your new webcam having problems.  Either it is inside the blinds or no picture?

March 11, 2017
1,580 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Blue Don,  How com your new webcam having problems.  Either it is inside the blinds or no picture?

Needs some tweaking.  When peeps have the light on in the evening it reflects the blinds.  It goes offf from time to time due to bandwith limits on our wifi at Mtn Lodge.

I'll try and tackle some of these issues in the off seaon but for now, it is what it is. 

March 12, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Guns blasting Sat evening-Sunday morning at the Shoe...check out their amazing prices and events diring March!!!

They are suppoerting the skiing public, now it's our turn!

March 12, 2017
1,580 posts

SS blew snow non stop for almost 3 straight days on Cupp.  We tried it yesterday.TONS of snow over there but the guns made it impossible to see.  

All guns are off now resort wide.  Cupp should be in excellent shape today with side to side coverage.  

I hope all the college kids got hammered last night at the concert and sleep until 10 AM.

March 12, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Want to Ski Mid-Winter Conditions?!!

look at video from BD's Snowshoe Condo, couple with near record cold and natural snow all week and Snowshoe is the obvious place to go skiing in the Mid-Atlantic!!!  They have put out the effort to keep the most slopes skiable all winter, now DCSkiers vote with your boots and say "thank you" by taking a few snow days this week at Snowshoe.  BTY, Did I mention all their special March events and incredible discount lift ticket rates!  Check out their site for details!!!

MorganB

tskski
March 12, 2017
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts

Heading to SS tomorrow morning. I plan on staying till Wednesday evening or Thursday. Hoping to take advantage of the snow from the coming storm. I'll be leaving when the weekend crowd is arriving.

March 12, 2017
1,580 posts

tskski wrote:

Heading to SS tomorrow morning. I plan on staying till Wednesday evening or Thursday. Hoping to take advantage of the snow from the coming storm. I'll be leaving when the weekend crowd is arriving.

You are NOT going to be disappointed.  Cupp had side to side coverge top to bottom.  The entire basin area is in very good condition.  Note that Silver Creek is now closed for the season.

Cupp Pics

Upper Cupp

Lower Cupp

Lower Cupp from lift

Bonski & BlueDon @ Lower Cupp 

tskski
March 13, 2017
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts

I've never skied Western Territory, always afraid it was above my ability. So I have skied Paradice and Diamond Jim at Mnutten and I'm curious how the they compare. I don't want to get on a trail that I'll have to do the pizza slice to get down, I don't think it's a good idea to ski trails above your ability, it's a hazzard for the better skiers. I've checked in at SS waiting on Stella.

March 13, 2017
1,580 posts

tskski wrote:

I've never skied Western Territory, always afraid it was above my ability. 

If you show up at Western's rope drop at 8:55 AM there will only be a few folks there, espcially on a Tues.  You'll have Cupp Run just about all to yourself.  

Try it and see what you think.  Worst case one and done.   Best case is you will do laps over there all morning and make us all jealous with pics and video!

Bonzski
March 13, 2017
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

I concur with Blue Don, if you're going to try Cupp then try it early...before 10am.  I would also avoid if it hasn't been groomed.  If you're unsure about conditions etc don't be afraid to ask someone coming off the lift or patrol (their hut is on right side at top, across from lift).

March 13, 2017 (edited March 13, 2017)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

TSK Ski,  What other Black (diamond) trails have you skied at Snowshoe, or other local resorts other than Massanutten? I agree with advice to ski Cupp fairly early, just check with with grooming report and ski patrol that it has been groomed.  If groomed, the fresh snow should be soft and hold edges well.  Other than very top and bottom run out, Cupp is a fairly wide trail with plenty of room for wide consistent turns down and across the slope.  It has several obvious places where skiers stop to survey the next pitch.  I might suggest a warm-up run on Ballhooter or Widowmaker to get a feel for the surface assuming grooming consistent with Cupp.  Take your time on Cupp; ski confidently, it is not overwhelmingly more difficult than "expert" slopes at the Shoe and other resorts,  just a lot longer and fairly consistently steep. Ever ski Cliffhanger at Wintergreen?  

Enjoy!!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?