4 posts
4 users
3k+ views
songfta
March 1, 2017
Member since 05/10/2004 🔗
51 posts

From their Facebook post:

Sadly, the second half of our winter season has truly been challenging! Unseasonably warm and rainy weather has taken its toll on our mountain and has depleted our snow base. At this point, we are not seeing a return of enough cold weather that would allow for enough snowmaking to resume winter operations. Therefore, we must announce that Liberty Mountain is officially closed for the season for all winter sports.

The good news, our sister resorts, Roundtop and Whitetail are planning to be open for skiing & snowboarding through the weekend, and all Liberty passes and products are valid at either resort. Whitetail will be closing after this Sunday. All Liberty pass holders are invited to a Season Pass Holder Appreciation Lunch at Whitetail this Sunday. All of us at Liberty would like to thank this year’s pass holders and guests for your loyalty and kind words through this challenging end to the season!

Not surprising if you've looked at their webcams over the past 10 days. The front side was already gone, and now management has finally thrown in the towel.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to rescue 20+ rolls of B nets that are stashed along a few trails. That's going to be... interesting.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 1, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Thanks for the effort!!

Connie Lawn - DCSki Columnist
March 1, 2017
Member since 04/19/2009 🔗
138 posts

Thanks to Eric, Anne, the instructors, ski patrol, adaptive volunteers, and all who make Liberty (and Whitetail and Roundtop) such excellent areas. My heart breaks for them. Let's hope we have a colder cycle next season. Yours, Connie Lawn

Mellish
March 8, 2017
Member since 03/4/2017 🔗
4 posts

I love Liberty. It's my closest mountain. It feels like home.  I feel bad for all who work there and were expecting a full season. Anybody know why, at peak season, Liberty had so much less snow than the other two affiliated mountains? I'm a passholder and I regularly visit all three. I saw huge deficits at Liberty this year. When I looked at the cams I noticed that Liberty often wasn't making snow at all, or was just running a handful of guns when the others were blowing snow out of everything they had. Was there something kind of equipment problem there this year? Or did someone make a business decision to make more snow at the others? Any explanation that seems even remotely informed would be much appreciated.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?