Foggy Snowshoe
7 posts
4 users
2k+ views
Connie Lawn - DCSki Columnist
February 22, 2017
Member since 04/19/2009 🔗
138 posts

My son David Rappaport celebrated his 40th birthday with his wife Nicole and their 2 dogs at Snowshoe this past weekend. He sends the following report:

Warm weather at Snowshoe made for spring-like conditions over the holiday weekend. Saturday, February 18th saw some decent periods of sunshine, which made for good skiing in the Western Territory. Patches of dirt peeked through on Cupp Run and Upper Shay's Revenge by late afternoon on Saturday, but there was enough snow coverage on the trails to make them enjoyable for most of the day. Lower Shay's Revenge remained ungroomed throughout the weekend, but the soft snow made for some fun and easy turns. 

Sunday, February 19th gave way to foggy conditions on the upper mountain most of the day, but the fog lifted just as you hit Lower Shay's, which made skiing and visibility much better. The fog on Sunday also kept the holiday crowds off the slopes, which was an added bonus. The warm temperatures this week could be problematic for the rest of Snowshoe's season, so here's hoping at least one more round of snow comes through by early March. 

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 22, 2017 (edited February 24, 2017)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Wonderful to hear from you  Connie.  I think of you often.  God Bless!  

I too hope Snowshoe gets some more cold weather and can keep the season going deep into March and the crowds of spring breakers.  My season was cut short by a speeding boarder smashing into me near the bottom of Cupp just past the flat area, six broken ribs!

MorganB

aka The Colonel

February 23, 2017
138 posts

Thanks - sorry to hear that. Are you in much pain? I am - love, Connie

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 24, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Thanks for response.  Pain was quite intense for weeks afterward.  Basic treatment for broken ribs is painkiller sedation medications and bed rest.  Most of the sharp pain has gone, but discomfort remains, sometimes severe. I am still sleeping in a rented hospital bed for added comfort.  My wife is doing a great job nursing me back to health, despite having pneumonia herself.  I was stunned following the collision impact but got up and skied the short distance to bottom of slope and took chair back up.  At top I took bus back to condo vice skiing down to another chair to condo.  I went to dinner and then tried to find a semi comfortable sleep position.  Next morning I had to slide out of bed to a kneeling position and use my leg muscles and left arm to attain a standing position.  I realized that I was in a lot of pain but had no idea of the real extent of my injuries.  Since I was alone I loaded my clothes and gear into bags and into the car and began the long drive home.  Drive took almost seven hours as I stopped often to change positions.  My wife wanted to take me to emergency room when I arrived back home, but I chose to see how I felt in morning (mistake!!).  After another painful slither out of bed we went to the emergency room In the morning.  A CAT Scan revealed six broken ribs on my right side (a couple with multiple fractures), a minor lung puncture with a slight deflation, plus extensive bruising on leg, side/back, buttocks.  The ER folks were as surprised as me at the extent of my injuries!  I was sent to Fairfax Hospital ER via ambulance and spent three nights there. I have been told that "full" recovery will take about two months, especially given my 76 age.  At this point I am off most major pain medications and still need help falling asleep.  Little by little I feel better, at least a gentle cough is no longer a major trauma (albeit still a bit scary)!

Connie, I bet you are glad you are not a part of the political/media circus now ongoing in the White House!  

Take care and God Bless!

MorganB

aka The Colonel

Reisen
February 24, 2017
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

Didn't realize you were that old, Colonel.  Was thinking more like mid 60's.  You're clearly a tough man to go through all that... get well soon!

February 24, 2017
138 posts

Dear Colonel - Thank you for writing - I am so sorry about your ordeal. I still love skiing, and there are dangers everywhere.

I broke my hip at Vail in 2011 - skied down from the top of the mountain.. It still hurts and I have 3 screws in my hip. Want one?!

It was a gentle fall, but I guess I am brittle!  I could have fallen on a sidewalk and done the same thing.

Let's both recover and ski together with DCSki friends next season!  Yours, Connie Lawn

fishnski
February 24, 2017
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts

Wow Colonel sir!....good year to cut the ski season short?...Slopes half empty?...
Looks like u n my wife and connie...and a few others are on injured researve till further notice...Stay as strong as u can with rehab and live to feel the the thrill again!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.