64 posts
16 users
4k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
February 1, 2017
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

What gives with Laurel?  

It's been below freezing for about a week and they've had 16 inches of snow in the past 5 days yet only 5 trails have been open all week.

I have a get out of jail free card this Friday and would love to check the place out.  Not sure I can justify a 2 hour drive up there for 5 trails.  I would think other day trippers like myself feel the same.  

HV and 7S have tons of trails open and are reporting that many of their natural snow only trails will be open this weekend.

imp - DCSki Supporter 
February 1, 2017
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts

Because of the construction, most nonsnowmaking area have a lot of rock torn up. need a lot more to cover the torn up stuff.

poachers are tearing their equipment up in areas that used to be all grass. they will add slopes for the weekend if it keeps snowing.

February 1, 2017 (edited February 1, 2017)
1,580 posts

Thanks imp.  I'll check the snow report once I get off the turnpike.  Worst case, they still have only five and I opt for HV or 7S.

Great to have so many choices but an all too common theme on this forum ........ best terrain with the least amount open ...... sigh.

Leo
February 1, 2017
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts

I was at 7S yesterday, and the vast majority of the NF, which is the best area of the resort, was not opened.

They had huge piles of snow everywhere, but none of it was groomed out.  I assume they will groom and open everything for the weekend, but I would check before thinking that it's a lot different than LM (7S certainly had more than 5 slopes open, but as a percent of terrain maybe not that different).

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
February 1, 2017
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

In addition to most of the snowmaking terrain two more trails are being added to the trail count starting tomorrow. Laurel Run, at the top of the mountain, and Hegan's Cut, at the bottom will be open. Lower Wildcat willopen ungroomed then snowmaking will commence again Thursday night. Lower will be groomed out by weekend, no doubt.. 

imp, it looks like Rocky Corner is extended and now the Dream is Rocky Highway. What about the Kitty Cats?

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 1, 2017 (edited February 1, 2017)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Not grooming some or all of Lower Wildcat is another example of ignoring mid-week customers while lamenting that there are not more mid-week skiers!!!  You get what you sow!

imp - DCSki Supporter 
February 2, 2017
299 posts

Kittys are not torn up much but from the slot down is.

audis run was not torn up nor the top of easy way.

Lincoln highway was used as a road so is smooth but rocky 

can I use your skis!!!!!!!!

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
February 2, 2017
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

As of Thursday morning, Laurel has 12 runs open as Laurel Hill Crazie said they would.  Looks like the only major run to the bottom not open is Dream Highway, a blue run.  

Excited about getting out there to Laurel but, like Blue Don and other day trippers, I'm waiting for some more choices.  Went instead to Canaan Valley Wednesday Feb 1 (I work both days this weekend), where all the natural routes were open.

Woody

February 2, 2017
1,580 posts

bousquet19 wrote:

As of Thursday morning, Laurel has 12 runs open as Laurel Hill Crazie said they would.  Looks like the only major run to the bottom not open is Dream Highway, a blue run.  

Excited about getting out there to Laurel but, like Blue Don and other day trippers, I'm waiting for some more choices.  Went instead to Canaan Valley Wednesday Feb 1 (I work both days this weekend), where all the natural routes were open.

Woody

Good to see.  My friends skied HV yesterday.  They sent me a couple videos.  Looks like tons of snow at HV so we'll go there.

I agree -  I'm going to hold off on LM until more snow and more of it is open.  I really WANT to have a good first impression to honor all the hard work many folks from this forum did to get that place re opened.  It's only Feb 2 and I have 24.5 vacation days sitting there waiting to be used if the time is right.

Don't forget, Punx Phil said 6 more weeks of winter!

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
February 2, 2017
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

For what it's worth Blue Knob, 40 miles to the west, is also struggling to get runs open.  Frustrating winter.

msprings
February 3, 2017
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts

Does Dream Highway have snowmaking? If not, what kind of snowfall would it take to get it open?

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
February 3, 2017
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

msprings wrote:

Does Dream Highway have snowmaking? If not, what kind of snowfall would it take to get it open?

Having never skied LM but having stared frequently at the map and snow report, that's exactly my question.  I've been holding out for this last long run to open ... but if it ain't gonna happen, it ain't gonna happen.  Maybe I should just set sail for LM the next time I have a chance so I don't miss this season there entirely.

Thanks for the question, msprings.  Hope someone in the know can share some insight.

Woody

February 4, 2017
2,038 posts

First, there is no snowmaking on Dream Highway but it can be open with enough natural snow. The problem is Dream Highway was used by heavy equipment during the reconstruction so turned up a lot of rock. The very last turn on Dream at the bottom of the Slot has always been known as rocky corner now Dream Highway is more Rocky Road. The foot or so of snow we have on the ground is just not enough. imp could better address the situation.

My advice, so far this has been a crappy season for natural. This past Thursday and coming weekend will be the best its been but the natural snow trails will not last long, Come soon but plan to be back if winter ever comes back with a vengeance,  

imp - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2017
299 posts

Dream highway and all the slopes skier right of the chair are natural only.

the amount of snow on the ground now allows for some limited non-rock skiing where there is grass under it.

lower dream is very rocky with little or no grass, water runoff ditches abound.

with this as a base 8 inches is minimun to open and that without wind to scour the rocks off.

a groomer would need 24 to pack it.

msprings
February 5, 2017
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts

Having skied it once this year and studied the trail map. I'm curious what the long time regulars have to say.

What are the chances that (1) Dream Highway gets snowmaking? (2) That the trees between Lower Wildcat and Lower Broadway become either more slopes or that the trees are skiiable?

imp - DCSki Supporter 
February 6, 2017
299 posts

The lower part of Dream Highway has been rumored to be a future plan for snowmaking.

The other area is very rocky, stone quarry like. not even LHC, well possibly LHC, goes there.

have more glades than skiers now why add more

jimmy
February 6, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

imp wrote:

The lower part of Dream Highway has been rumored to be a future plan for snowmaking.

The other area is very rocky, stone quarry like. not even LHC, well possibly LHC, goes there.

LOL

February 8, 2017
2,038 posts

jimmy wrote:

imp wrote:

LOL

This weekend might be time to check out the rock quarry. I'll let you know tomorrow.

imp - DCSki Supporter 
February 8, 2017
299 posts

if 8 inches the tracks you see are mine, less than 8 stay on the cat

imp

February 8, 2017
2,038 posts

imp wrote:

if 8 inches the tracks you see are mine, less than 8 stay on the cat

imp

Hey imp, did any of the natural cover from last week survive the rain?

imp - DCSki Supporter 
February 8, 2017
299 posts

nor did most of the manmade, it's pretty sparse 

lower has good cover but top of chair and loading are thin.

February 8, 2017
2,038 posts

I hope tonight and the week to come will make up for it. 

ParkCrewDrew
February 9, 2017
Member since 01/24/2014 🔗
125 posts
12" fell overnight and probably a few more inches of lake effect tomorrow. Anybody going there today or tomorrow? Better get it before the rain on Sunday
February 9, 2017
2,038 posts

I just got back from some morning laps and a few DCSki crew will be there tomorrow, Me JimK, cantunamunch. See yunz up air n at.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
camp
February 9, 2017
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

I just got back from some morning laps and a few DCSki crew will be there tomorrow, Me JimK, cantunamunch. See yunz up air n at.

Enough to open any of the natural snow runs tomorrow?

February 9, 2017
2,038 posts

All natural trails open except Dream Highway and the quad chairlift line. They opened Lincoln Highway. I haven't skied it yet.

skimunky
February 11, 2017
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
15 posts
I skied Laurel Mountain on Friday for the first time. Lincoln Highway maybe should have been closed. They had a caution sign out but it was really thin cover with a lot of exposed rocks. Most of the mountain was in good shape. I didn't realize that Dream Highway was closed and in trying to ski it, I popped out on lower wildcat. It was in good shape fortunately because I would have been really intimidated of it with bad snow (or big bumps). I guess everyone is aware of it, but that is a trail with legitimate sustained steepness, especially for the mid-atlantic. I rode the lift with a LM patroller (Dave Schmidt? maybe - really nice fellow, seasoned citizen with long hair) and a woman I assumed to be his wife that gave me some info on the trails. They were obviously really excited that LM was open again. I was at LM after skiing Seven Springs for the first time on Thursday. I was following the models on the storm expecting it to take me to Canaan Valley, but the Seven Springs area looked like it was going to get more snow so I booked a stay there. The cheapest lodging/lift ticket deal had a "Highland" lift ticket good for all three areas. Seven Springs is a good mountain and I would gladly go there again if they get the most snow from any passing system. They were blowing snow on nearly every trail, so there was limited visibly and icy goggles issues. They opened some of the North Face trails on skiers left later in the morning including Yodeler, which was in great shape and didn't have any snowguns running, so I lapped that one quite a few times. My legs were worn out from skiing the 3d snow on Thursday and they sere blowing snow aggressively again on Friday, so I decided to check out LM and Hidden Valley considering I had the lift ticket to allow me to ski those places. Hidden Valley was fun too. I lapped Stingray and Imperial which I picked mainly because they didn't have snowmaking going. It was a fun trip. I'm happy I had the chance to check out those places.
camp
February 11, 2017
660 posts

skimunky wrote:

...They opened some of the North Face trails on skiers left later in the morning including Yodeler, which was in great shape and didn't have any snowguns running, ...

Dang, i was at 7S Friday and was hoping Yodeler would open. But, I didn't check it after lunch so maybe it did. I know what you mean about the guns and visibility. It was tough in the morning.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 11, 2017 (edited February 11, 2017)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

Sorry we didn't connect with you skimunky on Friday.

Had a REAL FINE day at Laurel.  Here are a few quick photos from Laurel Mtn, 2/10/17.  Hope to file a full report in a few days.

February 11, 2017
2,038 posts

I really had a great time showing of my home hill to the DCSki crew. Yunz all come back when we get enough snow in the woods n at.

February 12, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Sure wish I could have been there with you all; but 6 broken ribs ( some with multiple breaks;small piercing of lungs has shut me down for the rest of this season.  A snowboarder barreled into me last week near the base of Cupp Run, no warning, obviously not watching where he was going.  4  nights in hospital, 4 nights in hospital  bed at home, lots of pain meds, but minor improvement  noted!  Will miss seeing and sliding with you guys!!

MorganB

February 12, 2017
2,038 posts

Morgan, heal well and we'll see you next season.

wgo
February 12, 2017
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Great pics, Jim. I especially like the last one.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 12, 2017
2,963 posts

That is LHC ripping Lower Wildcat. 

imp - DCSki Supporter 
February 12, 2017
299 posts

LHC on Lower almost to the steep part

msprings
February 15, 2017
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts

What do you think the chances are that Laurel will open for a 2nd striaght season next year? This winter has been challenging, and I'm curious how everyone thinks they have done (financially) this year. At the end of the day, this is a business, and Nutting operating two other resorts that are undoubtedly more profitable, in both skiing and ancillary revenues.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 15, 2017 (edited February 15, 2017)
2,963 posts

Some of the locals talked about hoping for more skier visits to ensure financial viablity.  I'm sure more ticket sales would be helpful, but I can't fathom they would close any time soon given the excellent infrastructure improvements just made.  But I'm only a tourist:-)

hockeydave
February 15, 2017
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts

Agree with Jim K that I can't imagine giving up on Laurel after only one season, especially one as bad as this one. And I can say with certainty HV is no cash cow for Nutting, if anything, it has been nothing but a drain on financial resources, not just this year, but every year he has owned it. Given how bad each and every weekend has been for 16-17, I'm guessing 7S is barely pulling its weight financially also.

As much as I have ripped into Nutting over the last decade on this forum, it's definitely a good thing that he has the ability to weather this horioble winter.

February 15, 2017
1,580 posts

I agree that it's too soon after one season.   I realize capital budgets were set years ago, but not having 100% snowmaking is killing some of these places.  

I started this thread noting 5 trails were open about 2 weeks ago.  Who the in hell is going to drive X miles and pay X dollars to ski a few runs?    

camp
February 15, 2017
660 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

...pay X dollars to ski a few runs?    

I'll be there on one of the 3 days this weekend. Annual trip to wife's friends house in HV, and we usually just ski there and xc. But since crowds may be lower this weekend, i'll take the teen boys to 7S also. I doubt I'll take the teens to Laurel, as only one is competent enough to have fun on Lower Wildcat, and he's already done it and bored with it (in teen terms). So I'll probably enjoy some solo Lower, some brews, some more Lower, more brews and maybe hike around the xc network and dream about the winters of old.

At least the terrain parks of 7S should be fun this weekend

February 16, 2017
2,038 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I agree that it's too soon after one season.   I realize capital budgets were set years ago, but not having 100% snowmaking is killing some of these places.  

I started this thread noting 5 trails were open about 2 weeks ago.  Who the in hell is going to drive X miles and pay X dollars to ski a few runs?    

I agree that 100% snowmaking would help draw more visitors but when you started this thread it was right at the end of the big January thaw and I believe 7S North Face was closed also. North Face is a fairer comparison to all of Laurel. It is easier to maintain and cover 350 vertical feet than it is do likewise on 750+ vertical  but you are right, few would travel for 5 trails. Still those 5 trails will give you 2 different ways to ski over a mile on 760 vertical feet. I'm just saying that you can't compare just trail count to measure the amount of skiing.

February 16, 2017
2,038 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Not grooming some or all of Lower Wildcat is another example of ignoring mid-week customers while lamenting that there are not more mid-week skiers!!!  You get what you sow!

Morgan, Laurel management didn't groom out Wildcat in part because the midweek regulars that do show up wanted to ski powder instead of corduroy. They left the "whales" untouched for the same reason and because, as I understand snowmaking, it is best to allow some time for new snowmaking to cure, drain, dry, however you want to express it. Doing so results in a better groomed surface when they are pushed out. What you characterized as a disregard of visitor wishes was really as response to visitor demand in addition to sound snow grooming practice. In fact I was excited that Lower Wildcat was skiing like it was 1986 (little or no grooming back then). The 'cat had its claws out and was snarling a little. I was hoping that they would not groom it out and I asked GM Chris Plummer if they were going to groom it for the weekend. To my disappointment he said yes and indicated he was doing it so Lower Wildcat would be skiable by a great range of skiers that showed up on the weekends.

February 16, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

LHC,  I had planned a mid-week trip to LV this season, but the 6+ broken ribs suffered two weeks ago when I became a target for an out of control snowboarder has delayed my trip until next year.  Now I must reconsider the trip at all since LM obviously does not want to cater to folks like me that prefer groomers for whatever reason(in my case age and physical shape).  Other resorts tend to cater to both groomer and natural bump skiers by grooming half of their signature run.  Why cannot Laurel do likewise?

MorganB

akaThe Colonel

JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 16, 2017
2,963 posts

The Colonel wrote:

LHC,  I had planned a mid-week trip to LV this season, but the 6+ broken ribs suffered two weeks ago when I became a target for an out of control snowboarder has delayed my trip until next year.  Now I must reconsider the trip at all since LM obviously does not want to cater to folks like me that prefer groomers for whatever reason(in my case age and physical shape).  Other resorts tend to cater to both groomer and natural bump skiers by grooming half of their signature run.  Why cannot Laurel do likewise?

MorganB

akaThe Colonel

Morgan, the above three action shots from last Friday were all taken on Lower Wildcat.  As you can see it was groomed.  I believe there should be plenty of days this season and in future seasons when that run will be in a groomed status.  I guess a nice compromise would be for LM to manage the trail in cycles.  Groom, then let bumps grow, then groom again when they get in bad shape or the run needs a heavy session of snowmaking, and so forth. 

jimmy
February 16, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Isn't Lower Wildcat a double black diamond pitch? They usually don't groom those. With the limited terrain they have open this year it might be nice to groom it but I am not going to Laurel Mountain to ski a steep groomer

February 16, 2017
2,038 posts

The Colonel wrote:

MorganB

akaThe Colonel

The usual status of the trails are groomed, including Lower Wildcat. The last 2 Thursdays most trails were ungroomed or rather groomed then natural snow fell and that was left ungroomed but smooth, no bumps yet from previous day. Lower looked like it was groomed before snowmaking commenced then the big whales were not pushed out but skiers' right had over a foot of powder on a smooth, deep base. Snowmaking was in progress throuhout the day This was at the end of a major meltdown, Laurel was closed the week before so they had to take advantage of every snowmaking window because this season rhe windows are very small and 60 degree days have followed. Next season when you are healthy and wish to ski Laurel midweek just PM me and I will let you know what they plan for grooming for the day you arrive. I'll find out the night before and shoot you a text or PM in plenty of time to change plans if things look bad.

jimmy, Lower has usually been groomed all year but if past practice is followed, skiers right will be allowed to bump up but it is steep and requires a deep base to build bumps that don't have dirt troughs. That's not happening and we all no why, weather. In fact, today Wildcat was ungromed and covered with powder bumps center and all of skiers' right. Skiers' left was groomed a few groomer tracks wide. It was groomed out wet then froze and for the first time this year, very icy so you were looking for soft bumps to turn on. Skiers far right was not groomed after the thaw so about 8 inches of new over that was tempting but the bumps were just as icy beneath, double diamonds earned. Lower Wildcat has been open consistently since opening. How's the Drop doing, how about Off the Wall? Ski them much this year? I wonder how Extrovert is doing at BK? Jimmy, if you come here after a real, natural base is established then we get a foot or more on, hell, even half that, and you're skiing with me I don't think you would care if Wildcat were groomed or not. ;~)

Folks, we all know conditions change and if you're traveling here to ski steep groomed Wildcat or steep ungroomed Wildcat call ahead and ask which one to expect. The GM knows what the grooming plans are for the next day and the staff will be happy to tell you or find out. Management is listening. Remember the debate we had here when their web site first went up and some claims were made about vertical drop and steepness? Once the feedback was evaluated the text was changed. The vertical went from 900 ft down to 761, from "highest vertical in the state" to highest vertical on the Laurel Ridge (still marketing hype but true) 72% grade was changed to read averaging near 60 degrees.

camp
February 16, 2017
660 posts

....... if you're traveling here to ski steep groomed Wildcat or steep ungroomed Wildcat call ahead and ask which one to expect. The GM knows what the grooming plans are for the next day and the staff will be happy to tell you or find out. Management is listening.......

Wow, i hope that's true. I've tried to get those same type questions answered at Blue Knob many times and am tired of hearing "ski patrol will open and close trails as see fit..". And never inform the staff on the phone and websites. 

I get that Laurel both rocks, and is lame. I skied it once this season on that fresh snow weekday around New Years. It was groomed with fresh bumps growing by the run. Was our first time and it was all that was open other than greens. Not sure I would've wanted it wall to wall bumps anyway. I can see how it's so similar to Blue Knob in that it needs a solid 2-3 storm base, and then fresh on top. The kind of conditions that we've had a couple times/season in the past decade. Seems so long ago.

Hope/plan to ski it this weekend one of those 3 days. Hope it's half groomed. Hope to see some of you there.

February 16, 2017
2,038 posts

Camp, it should go without saying that the patrol has final say and I should not have spoken for the resort in such a manner. I am not an employee. On an occasion when I asked the GM if they were going to groom out Lower for the weekend he said that they were planning to do so. I assume that he would share that information with most guests that would ask him but maybe you are right and they will be more guarded with the information because I can see if you tell someone that "We hope to have this open or we plan to have this open..." then something happens and you can't then the disappointed customer doesn't remember hearing the words hope or plan but only remembers, "you said it would be open, this is so dissappointing, you lied to me, this place suck"etc.

Best just check here for recent conditiions. PM me and at least I can let you know how it was the last time I was there. I average 3 days a week.

camp
February 17, 2017
660 posts

.....then the disappointed customer doesn't remember hearing the words hope or plan but only remembers, "you said it would be open, this is so dissappointing, you lied to me, this place suck"etc.

I get that LHC. I was merely digging at Blue Knob, as so often their website says open, FB says nothing, and when I get there patrol has the rope across. And that's all been largely inapplicable this season anyway since the runs I drive to BK for have been nowhere near open all season. I'll keep my eyes open for you at Laurel this weekend.

February 17, 2017
2,038 posts

I was there today, Most of the snowmaking from the last few days (selected areas all over the mountain) was not groomed out yet but still skiable especially a little latter in the day. The snowmaking mounds on Broadway and the rest of the mountain should be groomed out tomorrow. Skier's right on Lower has been bumping up the last few days. I didn't ask if they were going to groom Lower wall to wall or keep the bumps. Saw about 4 people do the Lower Wildcat slide starting from the steepest point down to the bottom but aspiring experts might have a better go of it tomorrow when it softens up. Today it was really icy where it had been groomed but down the center of the trail were soft, small bumps with varying trough surfaces (icy to ice cubes)  Skiers right was custard on frozen bumps which even the good skiers ignored. Get it when it softens tomorrow. The weekend bump skiers should help improve the surface. Innsbruck was getting brown so do it early. Wildcat would be the late day pick, least sun exposure and nice base. It should hold up. The entire mountain is white but no natural trails are open, only the snowmaking trails. Broadway should be good through the day tomorrow. The surface was cold and fast when I left at 2 today. Warming temperatures, things change fast. Get there early. etc etc

I'm not going to be around this weekend. Life is getting in the way.

February 20, 2017 (edited February 20, 2017)
2,038 posts

Laurel will shut down today and reopen on Friday. What a suckola winter to re-open, hell what a suckola winter to be in the ski business! All in all I think Laurel has done an excellent job staying open this winter. Experts have a chance to ski Lower Wildcat. Perhaps this year's version has been a little tame due to the lack of winter but experts had a steep pitch and when the cold and snow came around there was powder and powder bumps to ski. Novices and Intermediates had two mile long trails to play on too.

The season is not yet over. See you at Laurel next Saturday for the Spring Carnival.

Edit: Oops, my bad, Spring Carnival is on March 4 not next Saturday.

camp
February 20, 2017
660 posts

Lower Wildcat was groomed soft and fun this morning. Seemed like only 20-25 skiers there and around 5 skiing LW. Did some tele, some alpine, stout, and some more alpine. Took one run other than Wildcat and didn't love the long cat-track runout. Dream Highway would be a great option.

I question their business chops though; they had discounted $38 dollar full-day tickets today. No one told them to raise rates on Holidays??

February 20, 2017
2,038 posts

camp wrote:

Lower Wildcat was groomed soft and fun this morning. Seemed like only 20-25 skiers there and around 5 skiing LW. Did some tele, some alpine, stout, and some more alpine. Took one run other than Wildcat and didn't love the long cat-track runout. Dream Highway would be a great option.

I question their business chops though; they had discounted $38 dollar full-day tickets today. No one told them to raise rates on Holidays??

Holiday rates are listed at $58. Either customers got a break or someone made a mistake and forgot it was a Holiday.

camp
February 20, 2017
660 posts

Holiday rates are listed at $58. Either customers got a break or someone made a mistake and forgot it was a Holiday.

They said it was a holiday gift to skiers.

February 20, 2017
2,038 posts

Imagine that. Camp, you should not sugar coat your criticism. Say it plain, they really need to get snowmaking on all of Dream and the upper mountain too.

camp
February 20, 2017
660 posts

Imagine that. Camp, you should not sugar coat your criticism. Say it plain, they really need to get snowmaking on all of Dream and the upper mountain too.

I know, but it's been said enough. I really like the place and will be back as much as possible. I went just to burn legs and laps. The teens weren't interested after a couple full days at the other places. The draw of Wildcat after skiing HV and 7S was strong.

camp
February 20, 2017
660 posts

camp wrote:

I know, but it's been said enough. 

But, if there is someone specific (like a GM?) you would like me to relay this criticism to, I'd be happy to jump onboard the movement to make Laurel great.

Charlie
February 20, 2017
Member since 04/12/2008 🔗
69 posts
Charlie
February 20, 2017
Member since 04/12/2008 🔗
69 posts

Not sure what happened to my comments but they didn't post.

LHC

I was at LM on Thursday 2/16 and it wasn't a great experience. My fault, I didn't check the trail report before I left home.  They were blowing snow on all the merge points so the only way down was Upper & Lower WC.  I did make 10-12 runs, 4 of which were on WC. I think Innsbrook & Broadway were open and a couple of connector trails. Anyway I won't let that deter me, I will be back sometime when the whole mountain is open.  It looks like it can be a fun place. I though I saw you in the lounge when I was buying my lift ticket but when I walked back into the lounge you were gone.

February 20, 2017
2,038 posts

camp wrote:

camp wrote:

I know, but it's been said enough. 

But, if there is someone specific (like a GM?) you would like me to relay this criticism to, I'd be happy to jump onboard the movement to make Laurel great.

Really, they know, but it doesn't hurt to let them know how much you enjoyed the place but it would be so much better...etc. You can post on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/LaurelMountainSki/. They usually answer pretty quickly.

If you really want to join the "movement" to make Laurel Great Again join the Support Laurel Mountain State Park Facebook Group. We will be looking into restoring Midway Cabin and maybe forming a Volunteer Conservation Group with the State Park. It will be focused on conserving skiing, lol. Seriously, such a group could do nice things to the place for the coming season.

Yes, Lower makes you focus and ski.

February 20, 2017
2,038 posts

Charlie wrote:

Not sure what happened to my comments but they didn't post.

LHC

I was at LM on Thursday 2/16 and it wasn't a great experience. My fault, I didn't check the trail report before I left home.  They were blowing snow on all the merge points so the only way down was Upper & Lower WC.  I did make 10-12 runs, 4 of which were on WC. I think Innsbrook & Broadway were open and a couple of connector trails. Anyway I won't let that deter me, I will be back sometime when the whole mountain is open.  It looks like it can be a fun place. I though I saw you in the lounge when I was buying my lift ticket but when I walked back into the lounge you were gone.

So sorry I missed you. I was there with my son until around 2. We lapped Lower 95% of the time and the kid nearly killed me. He got me so worked up but I told the youngster that I could still ski his ass off,,,on opening day...for the first 2 turns. That put him into his place :~)

February 20, 2017
2,038 posts

Hey camp, talk about Holiday gifts. Just posted on the above mentioned Support Laurel Mountain State Park,  Laurel's GM said that Laurel Mountain season passes will be honored at Seven Springs and Hidden Valley this Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday while Laurel is closed.. A nice way to back up the value of their product.

camp
February 20, 2017
660 posts

Hey camp, talk about Holiday gifts. Just posted on the above mentioned Support Laurel Mountain State Park,  Laurel's GM said that Laurel Mountain season passes will be honored at Seven Springs and Hidden Valley

Sounds like this GM actually skis

imp - DCSki Supporter 
February 21, 2017
299 posts

the GM Chris skies. He was skiing yesterday with a bunch of kids from the springs his own included.

All the staff are trying very hard to make Laurel a happy place, but mother nature is

not joining the effort.

Broadway after the thursday snowmaking and ungroomed was the best of the year. more fun than anything in years.

it was a snow terrain park the whole way down.

imp

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.