Fischer vacuum boots
7 posts
6 users
4k+ views
Bumps
January 15, 2017
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts

i see some really old threads on these, but thinking of going and checking these out at pro fit this week. Any thoughts or comments?  Only concern I have is on epic ski, many comments talk to them being cold. Hoping latest years are better.  I do all mountain skiing and am 200lb guy, so I tend to put boots through the ringer .

jkaplenk
January 16, 2017
Member since 08/31/2015 🔗
45 posts

Bumps wrote:

i see some really old threads on these, but thinking of going and checking these out at pro fit this week. Any thoughts or comments?  Only concern I have is on epic ski, many comments talk to them being cold. Hoping latest years are better.  I do all mountain skiing and am 200lb guy, so I tend to put boots through the ringer .

I love the Fischer  vacuum boots.  If you have boot fitting problems it is the best way to go. I did a lot of skating over the years and I had a lot of feet issues. I heard from boot fitters that skate that this is a commonissue. For a while I was getting new boots every year. Even then I was at the ski shop almost every week getting them adjusted. They actually gave me my money back at the end of the year and said don't come back for boots as they couldn't help me.  One year when I was teaching my ankles would actually bleed. I would go int o the warming area, take off my boots for 15 mins or so then put them back on. 

I went to Dale boots in SLC to do customs and they said they couldn't help me. Then I got a pair of RC4s fit. It was the first year they made the vacuum fit for the general public. I had to go through a couple of fittings but there was no more pain. After 3 years the shell had a small crack below the buckle. Fischer swapped them out for free as this was apparently a common issue. I wanted to get the RC4s again but the design changed and they were more narrower and didn't fit right before the vacuum process. They did upgrade the liner though and they go on a lot  easier and are warmer. The fitter recommended the Fischer hybrids vacuum.  Fischer did another free swap as I hadn't used or fit the RC4s. The hybrids are very comfortable   They are great for teaching and mine have the walking mode lever.and comfortable skiing  

After I got the hybrids Fischer did another improvement on the liners.   I'l be looking at maybe getting those liners. I'll probably look at a another pair of RC4s for serious skiing since Fischer is always improving and I liked them. So if you have any kind of feet problems Fischer vacuum is the way to go in my opinion. 

nugarp
January 18, 2017 (edited January 18, 2017)
Member since 05/13/2016 🔗
8 posts

I've got the fischer ranger vacuum 12 full fits ('16) and they are extremely comfortable. My best friend has some prominent bones on her feet and got the hybrid 10s I think; first ski boot she hasn't had issues with. That said, my toes were freezing when I was at Snowshoe around Jan 7/8, but the temp was also -5F with a windchill of -25F to -30F. I can't speak for how warm they would be in warmer weather, except that I went to Liberty for a day and I think it was around +30F and they were fine. Worth noting I wear very thin socks.

Oh: Brian at Pro-fit did our adjustments. What a great dude.

Bumps
January 26, 2017
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts

Thanks, been traveling so haven't made it in yet. Hopefully next week!

JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 27, 2017 (edited January 27, 2017)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

My son had a pair for three years (160-180 ski days).  They were pretty high maintenance and he had to go in for many adjustments and even a new size (they did for free), but he was always going for a super tight high performance fit.  He got new boots this year salomon x max 130 which i think are some sort of partial/hybrid vacuum. he seems to like those.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
January 29, 2017
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

I don't like stiff boots.  Been there, done that.  10 years ago I gave away my Langes and went to a Dynafit alpine touring boot with a thermo-fit liner.  I've never regretted it.  It is torsionally stiff but moderate in forward flex.  The ankles are the most important joint in skiing.  Boots that are overly stiff in forward flex are a leading cause of back seat skiing.  I was led to this decision by years of telemark skiing.  Often I parallel in freewheel bindings and adjusting forward flex at the ankles becomes my job, not the job of the boot.  I like it that way and so I use AT boots in Marker bindings on my alpine setup.  The toe release of Markers works fine with an AT boot, although no shop will indemnify it.  I set my own DIN, 5.5 for both the Marker set up and a Dynafit, AT setup.  I get 1-2 releases per season, and never when unwanted.

flame away.

TEConnor
January 29, 2017
Member since 03/16/2016 🔗
7 posts

If warmth is a concern, I recommend DryGuy Boot Gloves. Probably something mentioned on the site here before. They're neoprene (mini 'wet-suits' for the boot), simple to put on, and reasonably priced ($25-$30 on Amazon). Seem to make a big difference for my foot warmth, even in quite extreme conditions.

Cheers

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.