8Jan17 Cold fun at Timberline, WV
4 posts
4 users
2k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 10, 2017 (edited January 10, 2017)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

When I'd encounter a worthwhile challenge as a youth my Mom used to encourage me to get after it by saying, "it will grow hair on your chest." I skied at Timberline, WV on Sunday, Jan 8, 2017 and I must have grown a few new hairs because it was a brutally cold day. I skied from noon to 3:30PM.  The air temps never went above about 4 degs and the winds were strong the whole time.  Mix in blowing snow from a bunch of active snowguns and it was BRISK.

But White Lightning was open from the top and covered in powdery man-made snow, excellent for carving.  Sally was a long, cool drink of ice water.  I haven't had too many ski days this winter and I needed to rack up some miles to be ready for the rest of the season. It was good, and good for me:-)

Here are a few pics from the day.

Richard on White Lightning.  We made several runs together.  Richard teaches Telemark skiing at T-Line.

The Timberline junior snowboard team was out there with their instructor in camo jacket, right.  Tough kids!  The big kid standing left is Jimmy.

A couple of extreme snowboard carver dudes were lapping White Lightning and showing the young ones how it's done:

Kind of hard to see under six layers of clothing, but I'm growing new chest hair.  Mom would be proud.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 10, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Jim, New addition to helmet, I see!  I just returned from Germany visiting grandkids and daughter's family.  Managed to hit the slopes of an Austria ski area on Zugspitze for two less than glorious days despite nearly 20" of fresh snow!  Never again for rental boots!!!  More about this misadventure in a later post!  Would like to get out local before the weekend but weather not looking favorable.

MorganB

TomH
January 10, 2017
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

I like that pic of Jimmy.  It reminds me of those photos where you fill in what you think the person was actually saying:

Jimmy: "This is what we call a White Pass Turn.  Any of you ever tried it?"

JohnL
January 10, 2017
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

TomH wrote:

I like that pic of Jimmy.  It reminds me of those photos where you fill in what you think the person was actually saying:

Jimmy: "This is what we call a White Pass Turn.  Any of you ever tried it?"

If Jimmy can get snowboarders to execute White Pass Turns, I'll be impressed! 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.