For those of you at Snowshoe right now...
7 posts
6 users
3k+ views
Mongo
December 28, 2016
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
98 posts

What are the ROADS like - specifically, the road to the top of the mountain, the "main road" (Snowshoe Drive), and the parking lots? From the webcams it looks like there is no snow/ice on the ground, but I wanted to see if that was actually true. The main question is do I want to put chains on at the bottom of the mountain tomorrow before I drive up the steep road wth the hairpin turns.

And hey other than that, what are the slopes like?

ParkCrewDrew
December 29, 2016
Member since 01/24/2014 🔗
125 posts
I am not there but I am sure the road is fine. There hasn't been any snow for a while.
The19thHole
December 29, 2016
Member since 06/29/2015 🔗
85 posts

They're expecting several inches of snow late Thursday into Friday with the upslope.

What kind of vehicle are you driving? A decent 4WD or AWD vehicle with good tires, and you'll be ok getting up the mountain without chains. A RWD Chevy SS with semi-bald tires due to the burn outs you've been doing? Then sure, put on the chains.

eggraid
December 29, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

The19thHole wrote:

They're expecting several inches of snow late Thursday into Friday with the upslope.

What kind of vehicle are you driving? A decent 4WD or AWD vehicle with good tires, and you'll be ok getting up the mountain without chains. A RWD Chevy SS with semi-bald tires due to the burn outs you've been doing? Then sure, put on the chains.

Also, the 'main' entrance (closest to Silver Creek) is a safer drive than the 'back' entrance (closest to Top of the World)

Reisen
December 29, 2016
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

eggraid wrote:

The19thHole wrote:

IAlso, the 'main' entrance (closest to Silver Creek) is a safer drive than the 'back' entrance (closest to Top of the World)

This. If road conditions are slippery, just drive the extra 20 minutes or so to come through the main entrance, rather than the back. Snowshoe will routinely close the back entrance when conditions are bad. 

Bonzski
December 29, 2016
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Roads are clear.  Squalls on/off all day today. 

Mongo
January 3, 2017
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
98 posts

The19thHole wrote:

The time I got stuck going up the "back way" I was driving an AWD with good tires. People in front of me slowed down to take a tight turn, so I lost momentum. I was not the only stuck AWD on that occasion.

In any event, I got up and down the hill no problem this past weekend.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?