13 posts
7 users
5k+ views
camp
December 5, 2016
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts
teleman
December 5, 2016 (edited December 5, 2016)
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts

I have always had mixed feelings about this....having a bar may reduce the number of people on the snow???

New addition looks good.

FreshPow
December 6, 2016
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

Luck wished here as well.

Liquor license --> year round restaurant/events/conferences ---> supports a hotel (much more deserving of one than Liberty) ---> increased revenue ---> further terrain and lift expansion

Oh, and more year-round jobs. Forgot about that. ...and finally being on par with every other hill and resort in the nation.

Kudos on the investments this past off season to be prepared.

powday
December 6, 2016
Member since 01/6/2014 🔗
40 posts

Let's hope the fine people of Montgomery Township finally allow this to happen!  I understand by talking to some of the locals why they are against anything that would benefit Whitetail, but it is time to let go.  When there are places that are still not allowing alcohol sales yet 1.5 hours away (D.C) you can "legally" smoke pot it is just mind boggling.   

eggraid
December 7, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

powday wrote:

Let's hope the fine people of Montgomery Township finally allow this to happen!  I understand by talking to some of the locals why they are against anything that would benefit Whitetail, but it is time to let go.  When there are places that are still not allowing alcohol sales yet 1.5 hours away (D.C) you can "legally" smoke pot it is just mind boggling.   

I'm curious: What do the locals have against Whitetail?

powday
December 7, 2016
Member since 01/6/2014 🔗
40 posts

In my brief conversations with some of the folks in Mercersburg, many are upset about the lack of taxes the resort pays into the local school system and also the wages paid.  Mind you this is a very small number of people, but that seemed to be the common theme.   

camp
December 7, 2016 (edited December 7, 2016)
660 posts

Tax assessments are one of the many odd things about living in Franklin County. Our taxes/properties aren't re-assessed every year. Instead, they are assessed when the property changes hands. So, Whitetail is paying 1980s level taxes. The school districts are forced to do these reverse tax appeals where they go after some large property like the warehouses along I-81. They get the tax board to re-assess specific properties so the school district can get more tax revenue from that taxpayer. The local economic development heads go bat-crazy over these appeals, fearing that the next Big Box Distro Center will not choose Franklin County. Of course, they like to tell Big Box that they'll have no tax burden here.

People in Mercersburg do appreciate Whitetail, but my feeling is most of the local Mennonite/Brethren/plain farm community surrounding Whitetail doesn't like the lights, noise, and cars on the roads. Expensive recreation is not on their radars.

crgildart
December 7, 2016 (edited December 7, 2016)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Back in college mid 1980s Oklahoma didn't seel liquor by the drink legally so you couldn't even buy a cold 6 pack of GOOD beer. They did sell 3.2% watered down crap cold.  We were passing through the Texas pahnandle on our way to ski New Mexico on spring break.  We have wicked bad cottonmouth and despertely wanted to grab some GOOD Texas beer.  Walked around 7-11 for what seemed like 20 minutes up and back the cold drink coolers.. Old lady behind the counter asked what we were looking for.  We said "where's the beer?"  She responded "this is a dry county boys".....

"OH NOOOOO HOW FAR TO THE NEXT COUNTY??????????????"

eggraid
December 8, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

camp wrote:

Tax assessments are one of the many odd things about living in Franklin County. Our taxes/properties aren't re-assessed every year. Instead, they are assessed when the property changes hands. So, Whitetail is paying 1980s level taxes. The school districts are forced to do these reverse tax appeals where they go after some large property like the warehouses along I-81. They get the tax board to re-assess specific properties so the school district can get more tax revenue from that taxpayer. The local economic development heads go bat-crazy over these appeals, fearing that the next Big Box Distro Center will not choose Franklin County. Of course, they like to tell Big Box that they'll have no tax burden here.

People in Mercersburg do appreciate Whitetail, but my feeling is most of the local Mennonite/Brethren/plain farm community surrounding Whitetail doesn't like the lights, noise, and cars on the roads. Expensive recreation is not on their radars.

That is a strange method to run things. It seems like around here in Loudoun County Va, if the property values go down, the tax rate goes up. If the Property values go up, the Board of Supervisors makes a big deal of not 'raising' the tax rate. Gee, thanks ;)

Bonzski
December 8, 2016
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

camp wrote:

Tax assessments are one of the many odd things about living in Franklin County. Our taxes/properties aren't re-assessed every year. Instead, they are assessed when the property changes hands. So, Whitetail is paying 1980s level taxes.

Some counties in, or maybe the whole state of CA operates like this.

camp
February 22, 2017
660 posts
http://www.publicopiniononline.com/story/news/local/2017/02/22/whitetail-delays-liquor-referendum/98244718/
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?