Opinions needed or suggestions for trip
23 posts
9 users
5k+ views
padjaski68
November 13, 2016
Member since 01/21/2016 🔗
95 posts
I am planning a 3 day weekend trip in early February for my family. My daughter and I ski while my wife doesn't. I have been going back and forth between 7 Springs/Hidden Valley and Canaan Valley/Timberline. I have skied 7 Springs and enjoyed it. I'm looking for suggestions or opinions to help make a decision on where to go. I'm looking for something that will have everything for all to enjoy without breaking the bank to do so. Thanks for you help.
rbrtlav
November 13, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

If your wife doesn't ski I would recommend 7 springs. The lodge there has more food, bars, shopping, bowling, etc than Canaan and timberline have to offer

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 13, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

padjaski68 wrote:

I am planning a 3 day weekend trip in early February for my family. My daughter and I ski while my wife doesn't. I have been going back and forth between 7 Springs/Hidden Valley and Canaan Valley/Timberline. I have skied 7 Springs and enjoyed it. I'm looking for suggestions or opinions to help make a decision on where to go. I'm looking for something that will have everything for all to enjoy without breaking the bank to do so. Thanks for you help.

Where are you coming from?  Are you aware that Laurel Mountain will be open this season?  I seem to remember there is a weekend lift ticket deal that covers all three: 7Springs, Hidden Valley, Laurel Mountain.

padjaski68
November 14, 2016
95 posts
My normal home area is Whitetail so I would be coming from that direction. I did see that Laurel Mountain is reopening this year. If I had 3 days I would include it.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 14, 2016
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

I agree that Seven Springs has a large base complex for non-skiers to explore, but since you've been there here are a few points about CV/T-Line.

The CV Lodge is nice and can be quite price competitive and a day of skiing each at CV and T-Line is a nice combo.  T-Line has some challenging glades and a continuous fall line that surpasses anything at Seven Springs.  You could also add an extra ski day at CV on most Mondays for very little extra cost.   The CV area has a snowier and more mountainous feel than Seven Springs or Whitetail.  It's a pretty neat winter environment with everything between ~3000' and 4200' above sea level.  Nearby White Grass Nordic Center is also fun to check out.  If your wife is outdoorsy, she could take walks around the state park that surrounds CV Lodge while you guys are skiing.  CV Lodge and CV ski area are close enough (~3 miles) with free shuttle connecting that all three of you could easily meet to eat lunches together.  I'm sure you'll have a good time wherever.  Early Feb is primo for good conditions.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 14, 2016
3,246 posts

Haven't been to 7Springs, but have skied at enough places in PA to have a sense of the skiing.  From a skiing standpoint, Timberline is much more interesting.  From a crowd standpoint, skiing in Davis, WV will beat 7Springs by a mile on a weekend.  So comes down to whether the non-skier enjoys quiet wilderness or a more developed scene.

The CV Lodge is quite comfortable.  Food in the restaurant is pretty good.  Has ice skating if that's of interest.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 14, 2016 (edited November 14, 2016)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

To add to JimK's remarks:  the new Canaan Valley Lodge is quite nice and offers many amenities for non skiers.  There is covered ice skating, indoor pool w/sauna and hot tub, snow shoeing, reasonably flat cross country skiing, snow tubing, incredible deer watching, hiking, good food and drink, and more including special ski packages.  But make your reservations fast, they fill up quickly!  And with the new near-interstate highway quality (US48, Corridor H) finished to Davis (the gateway to Canaan Valley) and depending on your start point, you can drive on four lanes all but but the 20 miles on US55 from I81 in VA to the beginning of US48 at  Wardensville WV.  Even this section is a pretty easy drive, just don't even think of speeding in WV, especially near and in Wardensville.  If you are already familiar with Seven Springs, even if not, I know you will be pleasantly surprised with the Canaan Valley area.  It truly is different.  And the nearby town of Thomas is a shoppers delight.  Plus viewing the frequently frozen falls, or using the lift served lengthy sledding slope at Blackwater Falls state park in Davis is always a treat!

Enjoy,

MorganB

crgildart
November 14, 2016 (edited November 14, 2016)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

CV is usually fun anytime but if you could push the dates back a tad we have this going on Feb 24th-28th.  House # 1 is full but there is CV lodge, The Timbers on the mountain at Timbeline and several other houses still available slopeside or a few hundered feet off the trails.

Mid-Atlantic Gathering, DCSki. EpicSki, PugSki, etc..

http://www.dcski.com/forum/88056

So far the core group consists of 5 dads, three thirteen year old girls, 8 and 5 year old girls, three tween/boys, a couple couples, and several single and married adult day trippers.

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
November 14, 2016 (edited November 15, 2016)
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Padjaski68, I agree with what's been said.  Both 7S and CV State Park would be good bases of operations for your trip and offer good options for nonskiers.  I try to ski 7S, TL and CV at least once each season because I like the variety they offer together. 

One advantage of 7S for families is that the activities are close together, so not much driving should be needed once you get there. On the other hand, distances at CV-TL aren't long.  CV and 7S both create an outdoors-wintry-woodsy feel b/c of their settings and architecture.  Seven Springs feels like more of a resort (games, shopping, pizza), while Canaan Valley State Park is much more like a state park, but with comfortable amenities.

Enjoy!

Woody

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 15, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

As for attending the DCSki gathering at Timber, I might suggest you concentrate on keeping non-skiing wife happy while on your trip and less on skiing with a bunch of ski crazy DCSkiers, and "I are one".  Happy wife = future trips.

MorganB

crgildart
November 15, 2016 (edited November 15, 2016)
767 posts

My non skiing wife has come along three times in the past decade, once to the Mid Atlantic Gathering but the one we didn't stay on the mountain with the group.  She's not in to the lodge mom routine but a ski house with a roaring fire and sufficient wifi to keep her kindle full of reading material is a win for her.  It's the sketchy wifi that has caused her to stay behind more than anythng else other than just saving a few dollars for the summer trips she prefers to be more involved with.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
November 15, 2016
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

^^^Ditto.   This is so common it is cliche.  My wife has skiied exactly twice.  She is real happy with wine, fire, book, and kitchen. She wants to see real snow.  I actually think the trips go better in a cabin at Timberline when there is nothing else to do.  Maybe a run to the market and Siriachi's pizza, but that's it.  Anyway, different strokes...

padjaski68
November 15, 2016
95 posts
With the suggestions you all have made. I like the idea of less crowds and the road lesser traveled. We tend to be rustic type of crew. Yes we like the modern amenities. I think the only thing I wish CV/Timberline offered a Friday night ski package like 7S, not that is a deal breaker. Now it time to secure the dates and accommodations. Too bad they don't offer a joint ticket like HV/7S/Laurel does.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 16, 2016
2,963 posts
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 16, 2016
2,963 posts
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 16, 2016
2,963 posts

Canaan Valley ticket discounts:  http://canaanresort.com/winter/ski-resort/lift-tickets/skipromotions/

JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 16, 2016
2,963 posts

tried to reply to thread and forum started new thread??

CV discounts: http://canaanresort.com/winter/ski-resort/lift-tickets/skipromotions/

AndyGene
November 16, 2016
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

Didn't CV and TL used to offer a joint Ticket?  I swear back in the 90s I remember my family skiing at both places the same day.  I could be wrong, as I was in elementary school then.

crgildart
November 16, 2016
767 posts

Up until last fall we were looking seriously at 7S for a family trip.  Mom doesn't ski and daughter wasn't that keen on skiing either.  Daughter's interest in skiing picked up last season.. still considering 7S until we went to Great Wolf Lodge this summer.  The indoor bowling and water park themed place really worked out to be like a GIANT Chuck E Cheeses filled with younger kids.  Our 12 and 13 year olds were among the oldest there and it was pure chaos in there hahahaha!  Turned us off on the notion of 7S based on figuring out it those types of places are geared more towards the pre teen aged kids and families.  They did have alcohol available to help tune out the chaos for those that partake.

I have no doubts that out on the slopes 7S is great for people of all ages.. I'm a bit skeptical of the demographics in thier lodge and overnight amenities now though..

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 16, 2016
3,246 posts

padjaski68 wrote:

With the suggestions you all have made. I like the idea of less crowds and the road lesser traveled. We tend to be rustic type of crew. Yes we like the modern amenities. I think the only thing I wish CV/Timberline offered a Friday night ski package like 7S, not that is a deal breaker. Now it time to secure the dates and accommodations. Too bad they don't offer a joint ticket like HV/7S/Laurel does.

Unlikely to ever be a join lift ticket.  CV is a WV state park.  Timberline is privately owned.  HV/7S/Laurel are all under the same ownership of the lifts.

If you want a house/condo, check out VRBO for Timberline.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 16, 2016
2,963 posts

Canaan Valley ticket discount info including $20 Food Bank Mondays promotion:  http://canaanresort.com/winter/ski-resort/lift-tickets/skipromotions/

JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 16, 2016
2,963 posts

padjaski68 wrote:

Canaan Valley ticket discount info including $20 Food Bank Mondays promotion:  http://canaanresort.com/winter/ski-resort/lift-tickets/skipromotions/

crgildart
November 17, 2016
767 posts

How's the age distribution of the overnight and indoor attractions at 7S?  We went to Great Wolf Lodge a few months ago and it turned out to be line a giang Chuck E Cheeses with water park, mini bowlingl arcades, etc, 90% of the kids there were pre teens, mostly 6-8 years old.  Our young teens were not all that excited but it was a pretty good deal so we had fun with it for what it was.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.