Corridor H
12 posts
10 users
3k+ views
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
October 29, 2016
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

The road now extends just beyond the juvenile correction facility--almost to 32. There's still work going on but westboound yesterday was divided highway nearly all the way. New speed limits as well: 55 rather than 45 on the approach beyond the power plant to Davis.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 29, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Thanks for the report.

MorganB

crgildart
October 30, 2016 (edited October 30, 2016)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

GPS usually takes us right up 33 throguh the forest when we come from the south. It's ridicullously grueling and winding for two hours that way, was also DUMPING the whole way, passed several stuck vehicles that night.  Son was also car sick hahaha.  Last time we went out via H and though the drive is a little longer, it was WAY easier.  I plan to set the GPS to take us around and in from the north through Baker.  A few more miles but much easier driving. 

Norsk
October 31, 2016 (edited October 31, 2016)
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts

Question on the speed limit.  Most of Corridor H is 65, including all the way up the front past the power plant (heading westbound).  Are you saying that from where H ended earlier this year to Juvie is posted at 55 now even though four lane divided road is open?  That would be a bad sign -- no reason for that I can think of (in good weather anyway) except to generate ticket revenue.

yellowsnow
November 10, 2016
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts

The official ribbon cutting was today, 11/10, and it's now open all the way to 32 (okay, about 3/4 of a mile short of 32, which is as far as you're gonna get until they cross the Blackwater....which won't be in my lifetime) ..

eggraid
November 14, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

yellowsnow wrote:

The official ribbon cutting was today, 11/10, and it's now open all the way to 32 (okay, about 3/4 of a mile short of 32, which is as far as you're gonna get until they cross the Blackwater....which won't be in my lifetime) ..

Pretty cool!

sohcrates
November 19, 2016
Member since 09/30/2016 🔗
12 posts

I drove Corridor H to Davis yesterday and indeed it was 65 all the way past the power plant.  Then it briefly hits 55 where there is some tiny construction left (down to one lane).

Side note:  I appeared to be the only human being in Davis yesterday.  It was a ghost town.

Good news is Canaan was testing the lifts and Timberline appeared to be testing their lights for night skiing.

snowglobe
December 3, 2016
Member since 03/12/2007 🔗
150 posts

Wondering if you guys will be using Corridor H to drive to Timberline / Cannaan Valley from DC in winter when it is snowing? I have been avoiding getting to the valley using Rt 93 via Mt Storm when the weather is not so great in winter and always get there from Harman from the south. Does this mean that we can safely use this new route to the valley in winter even when the weather is not so great in winter? Also, how long do you guys thing this route will take on a good day right now (say from Tysons Corner to Davis)? 2.5 hour?

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 3, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Drove on Corridor H last year after blizzard...what an improvement...a top priority snow clearing route, far safer than any other way to get to Canaan...and now it is completed from Wardensville to Davis!

MorganB

aka The Colonel

Norsk
December 4, 2016
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts

Tysons to Davis - yes 2.5 hrs assuming not much traffic getting out west on 66 (and no storm in the mountains).  Drove it last weekend.

Better than old 93 in a storm?  Sure.  Wider, divided, more gradual turns, better grading, etc.  But nothing can change the fact that it crosses a high exposed mountaintop prone to high winds and thus blowing and drifting snow.  If you don't want to drive in low visibility on snow-covered roads, you'd still want to avoid it during storms, IMO.  But if you don't mind driving through snow and wind, its going to make that experience quite a bit better.

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
December 4, 2016
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

I went to Timberline in 2013 and was dissapointed in the snow removal along Corridor H. I mentioned it on here or the Facebok page and somebody from WV got offended by my cityslicker expectations of clear pavement. Whatever, PennDOT makes sure the roads are plowed to their ski areas, so I'll go where I'm welcomed.

Not that I'm not pulling for T-Line, if they got some 21st century infrastructure, it'd be a fantastic mountain. I feel like it's a great ski area acting like a good one.

Skibumom
December 8, 2016
Member since 12/6/2016 🔗
3 posts

We were driving last Friday (2 Dec 16) afternoon (4pm) from 81 to Davis, watching the temps drop as we climbed Cord-H to Mt. Storm. It had been lightly raining most of the way, but when it dropped below 28 at the top the entire highway turned into a skating rink. Our big (& weighted) suburban went sideways and almost off the road. NONE of the roads/highway were treated!! We called 911 to report the conditions. Then stopped at the Davis gas station & locals said they were "only expecting flurries, not ice." Imagine. Pumping gas, a flurry of ER responders went screaming by headed towards 93. Just hope nobody was hurt. 

PLEASE DRIVE SAFE for the conditions!!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.