First turns on October 25, 2016
12 posts
8 users
3k+ views
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
October 25, 2016
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts

Had to do it.  With today's skiing, this will mean we will be skiing... on the East Coast.... for eight months...  Yes, eight months of the year if the conditions hold off to early May....

Killington dropped the ropes at noon today.  Limited terrain, sure.  It required some logistics and some carbo-burning stamina to walk in the catwalks to and from the top of the gondola.  Today was reserved for season pass holders including Express Pass holders.  And lunch was complimentary.  So with less than 50 minutes from my garage to K1, we figured we'd join the crowd.

We arrived at the K1 gondola parking lot at 1145 and found the upper parking area about 3/4 full.  Donned our equipment in the car as snow showers began to fall, and walked directly to the K1 gondola, only to be directed to customer service at the K1 Lodge for "administrative requirements".  Yes, the lawyers got to The Beast...  Now, everyone has to sign a yearly release.  Small stuff.  So we returned to the gondola and headed up to the top.  

Arrived at the top and the snow base was quite respectable for the first day.  I'd estimate 8" to a foot of hardpack with massive snowmaking and more snow falling.  

The limited terrain required us to go up the gondola, then walk down to the K1 Peak Lodge, and from there, do the death march on the wooden catwalk to the top of the North Ridge Triple.  Once there, the magnificent views as well as the impressive snowmaking capabilities of the resort were evident.  

Two runs were open on the first day appropriately named Rime and Reason... go figure...  Both merged halfway down Reason and continued towards the base of the North Ridge Triple.  I counted no less than 50 snowguns blasting away at the trail.  And it was obvioust at least a dozen other trails were being covered with massive snow making.  

The weather for the coming week is quite promising in Northern New England.  I wouldn't be surprised if Killington has several top-to-bottom runs by the end of next week as well as at least two mountains open.

Winter is here.....

https://goo.gl/photos/VvDnVQoUehFGy6PVA

https://goo.gl/photos/pzyQUDRgkPkp8EfVA

https://goo.gl/photos/rpstJWivkZbznZ4f6

https://goo.gl/photos/9ecAcUHsQ2pqgHsD9

JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 25, 2016
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

Yessss!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 25, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Wasn't much, but I saw a few flakes at Jiminy Peak this afternoon.  Hiked up with a local.  Made it to the snowmaking pond at the top.  Found out that they will be testing the snowmaking system tonight and tomorrow since temps will be plenty cold enough.

Was fun to see a little snow left on top of Mount Greylock from the last storm.  Learned about the Thunderbolt trail from the summit. Turns out there is backcountry skiing in Massachusetts and it's been going on since the 1930s.

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
October 25, 2016
1,535 posts

I LOVE Jimminy Peak.  It's one of the friendliest ski resorts ever.  And the area's attractions are without par.  From history to boutiques to mega culture.  And yes, the mountain's attractions are quite nice.

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
October 26, 2016
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

Don't forget JImminy Peak's sister mountain Bromley is just around the corner from Killington and Okemo.  Same management (Fairbank) and Boston based owner (O'Donnell). 

Crush
October 27, 2016
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

you dirty dog lol

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
October 27, 2016
1,535 posts

RodneyBD wrote:

Don't forget JImminy Peak's sister mountain Bromley is just around the corner from Killington and Okemo.  Same management (Fairbank) and Boston based owner (O'Donnell). 

Bromley is a pleasure to ski.  I hadn't been there since my college days.  And last year, on our second year back in New England, we went there.  On a pathetic Winter, Bromley shone like a star.  The trails off the Sun Mountain Express were immaculate.  And so were the more challenging black diamonds off the Blue Ribbon.  About half of these were ungroomed, so there was challenge for everyone. Bromley is a New England treasure - one unique "New Englandy" place.  And the 360 degree views from the top of Bromley are unique.

And to make it better, this year, nearby Magic Mountain is reopening, which is on the way home.  If Momma Nature cooperates, it will be one amazing year.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
October 29, 2016
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

Lou

Did you see any evidence of preparations for the November World Cup races at Killington: women's slalom and GS? Any idea where the races will be held? I think I read in Ski Magazine that the races are sold out.

Antoine
November 1, 2016
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

anyone know about how the beast will be this weekend? sorry to thread jack... 

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 1, 2016
1,535 posts

johnfmh wrote:

Lou

Did you see any evidence of preparations for the November World Cup races at Killington: women's slalom and GS? Any idea where the races will be held? I think I read in Ski Magazine that the races are sold out.

Yes.  It's all over the place.  Lindsey Vonn is coming with a whole bunch of skiers.  I asked and they said that it would be on their web page soonest.  

And by the way I'm there tomorrow Wednesday 2 Nov.

jimmy
November 4, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

johnfmh wrote:

Lou

Superstar

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 5, 2016
1,535 posts

It will be on the Superstar Trail.  K'ton's web site has been updated

http://www.killington.com/site/to-do/World-Cup

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.