2016-2017 Beginning of season
7 posts
5 users
2k+ views
powday
October 19, 2016
Member since 01/6/2014 🔗
40 posts

Hello all, long time lurker/occasional poster.   Anyway, I thought I would try to get a lively discussion on this coming season.  Who do you think will start snowmaking first?  What date?  How many ski days do you anticipate getting this season?  

I am going with Snowshoe, November 10th.  I am looking at a 40+ ski days.  

wgo
October 19, 2016
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

I made opening day predictions last year and we ended up having a horrible winter, so I think I'll avoid making predictions this year. Having said that, my son and I will be at the NRAO facility for a scouting event the first weekend in December so I am hoping to swing by Snowshoe after that if they have a reasonable assortment of runs open.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 19, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

powday wrote:

Hello all, long time lurker/occasional poster.   Anyway, I thought I would try to get a lively discussion on this coming season.  Who do you think will start snowmaking first?  What date?  How many ski days do you anticipate getting this season?  

I am going with Snowshoe, November 10th.  I am looking at a 40+ ski days.  

Hello there!  Certainly hope that Massanutten can start snowmaking by early Dec.  I'll hope for Dec. 8 so that they can have a couple weekends of instructor training before the holiday season.

If things go according to plan, I'll get in 15-20 days in VA/WV, plus two weeks in NM (mostly Taos) and 10 days at Alta in April.  Going to Alta during late season to meet up with friends has been an annual event since 2008.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 21, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Massanutten fired up the snowguns.  Looks like they want to at least have a chance for opening snow tubing for Thanksgiving weekend.  If temps allow for 24-hour snowmaking for a few days, could get the greens open for children's ski school.  Been a long time since Mnut was open in early Dec.

wgo
November 22, 2016
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

marzNC wrote:

Massanutten fired up the snowguns.  Looks like they want to at least have a chance for opening snow tubing for Thanksgiving weekend.  If temps allow for 24-hour snowmaking for a few days, could get the greens open for children's ski school.  Been a long time since Mnut was open in early Dec.

Outstanding. We'll be getting the M'Nut season pass this year, so I'm sure we'll be seeing you on the slopes.

We were able to ski Thanksgiving weekend at M'Nut in 2013.

crgildart
November 23, 2016
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Game on up past 4,000 feet elevation in northwestern NC.  I doubt it will hold through next week though.  There are also forest fires raging out that way.  Fire and ice.  We will try to ski what's left Saturday then wait for them to get it going again, hopefully mid December.

rbrtlav
November 23, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Roundtop will have a hike only park Friday-Sunday. From one night of snowmaking. I'm impressed 

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.