Laurel Mountain , a new beginning *
180 posts
30 users
20k+ views
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
September 13, 2016 (edited September 13, 2016)
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Laurel Mountain’s new quad chairlift built by Sky Trac and new (to Laurel) groomer await the grand opening. Laurel Mountain will reopen this season after closing over a decade ago when Seven Springs, then still owned by the founding Dupre family, last operated the state park ski facility. Seven Springs, now owned by Bob Nutting, will once again run the operation after Pennsylvania rebuilt basic infrastructure to the tune of $6.5 million, the bulk of which is terrain and snowmaking expansion and a new quad lift.  Unofficial opening is slated for Dec. 15 and I can attest that if it is cold enough there will be coverage including one of the steepest slopes in the Mid-A. Passes are to go on sale September 20 with a $50 gift card to those who purchase by Sept. 27.

This on the official Laurel Mountain Facebook Page:

SPECIAL OFFER: Get your Laurel Mountain Individual Season Pass at $450 and get a $50 Gift Card available from September 20-27!

PLUS, get your Junior (age 12-17) and Senior (age 65-69) passes at $390, and Child (age 6-11) passes at $360, and get a $25 Gift Card!

Gift Cards are valid at Seven Springs, Hidden Valley AND Laurel Mountain!

Call the Season Pass Office at 800-452-2223, ext. 7695, or visit7springs.com to purchase beginning Tuesday, Sept. 20!

14183791_1275927649085623_30509984605936

Thanks to Save Laurel Mountain’s Paul Hoolahan for this most recent photo.

* Episode 7

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
September 13, 2016
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Wow - how often do we get to ski a 'new' ski area in the Mid-Atlantic.  This is exciting. December 15 is a Thursday so I may not be able to make it for opening day (work gets in the way again!).

Are you sure that the Dupres owned 7S when Laurel was operated by 7S. I don't think that is correct...but I could be wrong.

Have they done a performance test on the new snow making equipment yet? When will the web site be up and running?

hockeydave
September 13, 2016
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts

Yep, the Dupre family owned 7S when they operated Laurel for a single year. If I remember correctly, I think Herman, but I could be wrong, had some sort of issue with the concept of an upside down ski resort (lodge at the top of the ski area) such as Laurel was and still is.

Now that there is only 1 lift in operation (the brand spanking new one pictured above), in the event of a motor failure or electrical outage, the snow cat can be attached and operate the lift in an emergency situation. I also believe there is a redundant motor, but I'll let LHC or Imp weigh in on that one.

The chair lift that went up Lincoln Highway trail is still in place the last time I was there in April, but has been decommissioned.

September 13, 2016 (edited September 13, 2016)
2,038 posts

Innsbruck and Deer Path will be totally new and Broadway will be reshaped, mostly widened from the chute down to Deer Path.All new snowmaking top to bottom. Wildcat will be widened and the new chairlift line will offer something different when natural snow allows. Dream Highway has been brush backed and restored to opening day width.

Web site should be operational sometime this month.

Edit: I add info to my first post.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
September 14, 2016
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

I have to hand it to you guys.  When the movement to reopen Laurel began 5-6 (?) years ago I thought you didn't have a snowball's chance in hell.  A handful of ski fanatics at keyboards vs. industry and government?  But you did it.

congratulations! 

crgildart
September 14, 2016 (edited September 14, 2016)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Laurel Mountain... "Our prices aren't steep, but our terrain is!"... Charles Gildart

They can use that but have to let me ski free there in exchange for my IP.

msprings
September 14, 2016
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts

Any chance of therebeing a pass with access to 7S and LM? Ski 7S on the weekdays when the liftlines aren't as long, and ski Laurel on the weekends due to smaller lines, less beginers, and better terrain.

Leo
September 15, 2016
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts

I think there is to be a pass for all 3 (LM, 7S and HV), unless I am mistaken.  Otherwise I assume it is single resort.  I don't think there will be a 7S/LM season pass.  If you prefer 7S on weekdays, do the LM season pass and use your free/discounted lift tickets on weekdays at 7S.  

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
September 15, 2016
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

msprings wrote:

Any chance of therebeing a pass with access to 7S and LM? Ski 7S on the weekdays when the liftlines aren't as long, and ski Laurel on the weekends due to smaller lines, less beginers, and better terrain.

You get all 3 with the Highlands Pass (7S, HV and LM)

September 15, 2016 (edited September 15, 2016)
2,038 posts

Denis wrote:

I have to hand it to you guys.  When the movement to reopen Laurel began 5-6 (?) years ago I thought you didn't have a snowball's chance in hell.  A handful of ski fanatics at keyboards vs. industry and government?  But you did it.

congratulations! 

Denis, I know I'm not the only advocate for Laurel here and I'm sure they will agree that is was a broad base of support from local businesses and local politicians in addition to vocal snowsport enthusiast that made this happen. If we had any influence at all it could not have happened without DCSki and Scott Smith for giving us the soapbox from which we speak. 

Actually you can say if it were not for the hastily organized public protest over Laurel's situation during Governor Ed Rendell's ribbon cutting ceremony nearby that yielded a 20 minute sit down with the Governor this would not have happened. About 10 or so Laurel advocates held up signs and chanted, protesting Laurel's closure. It caught the Governor's eye and a meet up was promised if the demonstration would end. Shortly (days) after that meeting the Mayor of Ligonier, Butch Bellas, got a call from Gov. Rendell and was told the funding would be released. This is all chronicled here on DCSki in the Laurel Mountain Breaking News thread. The one started by hockeydave and has over 2,5 million hits. So thanks to Margie C, Carol D,  Edna McD, Leo R, Dee and Bob K, Sr. for their timely demonstration on August 5, 2008. None of them have a presence here, as far as I know. 

Politics works when partisanship is put to bed and people focus on what we have in common then act on it. It happen here. I have no doubt there were factors both in politics and business that we may never know about that really made this happen but without the public involvement it may have never happened. Thank you all.

Ok, after all that bs. You really want to know why it happened? It's simple. Laurel has the best terrain on the Laurel Ridge, hands down. It doesn't have the most acreage and it might be a little much for the once a year skier but if you're a competent novice to the expert skier, Laurel has the best terrain. That's why skiers won't let Laurel die. 

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
September 16, 2016
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

It's a great story.  How is the drive from the CV ?

jimmy
September 16, 2016 (edited September 16, 2016)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Pagamony, everyone knows CV is three hours from everywhere ;) . 

Laurel Hill Crazie, do you know when the Ski School is forming? I may be looking for a job.

September 16, 2016
925 posts

Jimmy, I admit that is true, but more qualitatively, is that 3 hours more like the US 219, US 33,  or corridor H?  Is there a good BBQ joint on the way?  This is critical info.  

jimmy
September 16, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Oh absolutly the best way to get to snowshoe is in a car. The best way to take three hours to get from CV to LM is through McHenry to Friendsville and on thru Ohiopyle on PA711 which goes to Ligoneer, so look for the Statue of Rob and follow the signs to Laurel Mountain. There are two other ways but this way takes the longest. BUT WAIT!!!!! You asked about BarBQ well then you would want pass the turnoff for 711 and stay on USforty until you get to Farmington there is an old roadhouse there with a HUDGE smoker in the parking lot, great food and Beer and Cocktails and probalby wine. Then you could take 381 up through the outback into ohiopyle and this would certainly take more than three hours. 

So yes Dave, no matter how you slice it, CV is 3 hours from everywhere.

September 16, 2016 (edited September 16, 2016)
925 posts

ok Jimmy - now we are talking about something.   I'm spottin for the HUDGE smoker.  Trip plan emerging.....  gmaps shows 115 mi at 2' 40'', average of 43 mph. Hudge.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
September 16, 2016
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Congratulations and thanks to all the players who made this happen.  I love Laurel.  First skied it while in grad school in Pittsburgh in late 60s, when the Steelers and the Pitt Panthers both seemed cursed.  I even skied Boyce Park a couple of times.  Skied LM again when it was briefly revived some 30 (?) years ago.  To complete my Pittsburgh grand tour I need only the Mt. Washington incline.  Alas it probably won't happen since I now live in CA.

Bonzski
September 16, 2016
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts
Might as well hit Wisp on the way or back, especially with night session as an option, just avoid weekend.
September 19, 2016
2,038 posts

Laurel's web site is live:

http://www.laurelmountainski.com/

jimmy, there's even a link for employment.

Crush
September 19, 2016
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

OMG this is outstanding ! Man i wish i could see that this coming season - so exciting!

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
September 19, 2016
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

So glad to see the website up and running.  Fun to see the vintage photos and video clip. I've never skied Laurel and look forward to my first visit this season.  A couple of notes re. their web pages:

1. Laurel advertises Resort Swap for 2016-17 with the other resorts:  SS, Wisp, BK, 7S and HV.
  2. At 900 feet they're claiming the highest vertical in Pennsylvania (?!?).

Woody

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 19, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

bousquet19 wrote:

So glad to see the website up and running.  Fun to see the vintage photos and video clip. I've never skied Laurel and look forward to my first visit this season.  A couple of notes re. their web pages:

1. Laurel advertises Resort Swap for 2016-17 with the other resorts:  SS, Wisp, BK, 7S and HV.

Woody

Yeah, I noticed the 900' being highest claim.  Whitetail is very firm on the idea that it has 935' vertical.  Took a while for me to understand that Massanutten has more vertical than PA, at almost 1100'.

September 19, 2016
2,038 posts

Woody, I can't find the listing for the Resort Swap. You say it is advertised on the web site? I'm sure that if the Resort Swap program is still in place Laurel should be included in it, certainly if you have a Highland Pass, good at SS, HV, and LM. I'm not sure if the LM only season pass will be included but if the HV only season pass is included the LM should be also. I'll check.

Marz and Woody. as for the highest vertical drop claim, well we know that is false. I will call it to their attention.They are eager to market Laurel's challenge but they have to be careful they don't lose credibility. They must be content with being #4 in vertical drop. Blue Knob and Blue Mountain can duke it out for highest, Whitetail is #3 at 935 ft. and Laurel #4 at 900 ft. I must say that Laurel has the potential to be PA greatest vertical drop of near or just over 1100 vertical feet but the bottom 200 ft. vertical is on very Private Property, as in Mellon Foundation.

I just got back from a meeting with officials from the Springs, the State Parks, Ligonier Construction, and other "stakeholders". The meeting reviewed progress, construction is over 90% complete, that includes removal of the old quad chair and the trail called Lincoln Highway will be skiable. The lodge renovation is well underway. The floors will be carpeted, no more slip n slide on concrete floors. A totally new fleet of rentals will be available. All the ticket, rental and lesson sales will now be on the right side of the lodge. The Wildcat Lounge downstairs will be revamped. Construction tales were told of massive rock ledges and busted machinery, rattle snakes close encounters and steep descents down Wildcat. 

Midway Cabin and other historic structures on the mountain and their preservation were discussed and plans were begun to that end. 

Excitement and enthusiasm was evident among the attendees. I can't wait to ski all the new terrain  

September 19, 2016 (edited September 19, 2016)
925 posts

Mountainvertical lists the true Whitetail at 895, and four Penn state resorts at 1000 or greater.  It's close enough, let Laurel have it's fun.  http://mountainvertical.com/best-skiing-snowboarding-pa-ny.php

Qualitative is more important anyway.  The Laurel reports this year will be interesting.  Important stuff like what beers do they have. I love the period photos and graphics styles.  Good start.  

September 19, 2016
2,038 posts

Oops, forgot about Elk and Montage, That knocks Laurel down to #6.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
September 19, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

Well, it has the most vertical in the Laurel Highlands!!

September 20, 2016
1,576 posts

This whole thing is turning out much better than I expected. We've waited so long........I truly hope they get a good number of season pass holders. Checking the actual plans for the new lift, there is about 800 vertical feet in elevation difference between the bottom and top of the lift. 

Looks like we'll even have a restaurant and pub! Very exciting.

September 20, 2016
1,580 posts

bousquet19 wrote:

Woody

http://www.laurelmountainski.com/ski-ride/passholder-perks/

The link on the page top works but the button on the side did not to get to the perks page.

September 20, 2016
778 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie, thanks so much for being such a persistent advocate for Laurel and for keeping us updated on the happenings there.  I'm truly psyched about skiing some new (to me) terrain in the Laurel Highlands, even though Lower Wildcat might be a bit much for my skills.

I agree that Laurel's new beginninbg should include an honest presentation of mountain statistics.  Although 900 vertical feet is the oft-quoted figure for Laurel's vertical, I've looked at the topographic maps and can't find even 800 vertical feet of ski terrain.  I remember that c. 2005 Whitetail was still advertising a vertical of 1000 feet, then they dropped it down to 935 feet.  Hidden Valley, too, chopped down its claims of vertical to a # that reflected reality.  I hope the same will be true for Laurel.  

If I can't trust Laurel's claims of having 900 vertical feet and Pennsylvania's greatest vertical drop, why would I trust their snow reports?

Woody

September 20, 2016
2,038 posts

Precisely Woody, but a former Laurel employee has this to say on the issue of vertical from another Laurel Mountain thread:

imp wrote:

During the time Mowl had it open DCNR was doing a survey of all potable water on all state park an forest lands.

This was to include location of all springs and wells deemed drinkable on thoe lands. A state employee went to each 

site and recorded with a hightec, ( 2002 version) gps unit.

someone took her to the bottom of lower wildcat to the 2 wells there. She just happened to stand at the loading platform and record

the elevation, then she just happened to stand on the offload and record that elevation.

bottom elevation with low number satellites  1755

top number lots of satellites  2696

you do the math!!

imp

The math says 941 vertical feet but regardless, Laurel has the highest vertical on the Laurel Ridge. The fact that few casual skiers question the vertical claims also says to me that Laurel skis large. I know it does for me.

fmi1
September 20, 2016
Member since 05/16/2013 🔗
26 posts

I have never skied Laurel, but I'm really looking forward to it. If the vertical is really 900+ like the GPS unit indicates that would be outstanding. Being able to ski that much vertical continuously should also really help build up leg strength and endurance for trips out west and bigger mountains. Anyone have any idea how long the lift ride will take top to bottom? I know it's not a high speed lift. But, I'm still curious. Thanks

The19thHole
September 20, 2016
Member since 06/29/2015 🔗
85 posts

marzNC wrote:

bousquet19 wrote:

Woody

Yeah, I noticed the 900' being highest claim.  Whitetail is very firm on the idea that it has 935' vertical.  Took a while for me to understand that Massanutten has more vertical than PA, at almost 1100'.

Blue Mtn north of Allentown claims 1082', and Blue Knob claims 1072'. Guess we need to break out the topo maps and verify the numbers ourselves!

September 20, 2016
1,576 posts

From the construction contract Specifications - Section 02855 - Fixed Grip Chairlift:

Length: 2300+/- feet ; vertical: 765', Slope length: 2424 ft; Lift capacity: 2,400 persons per hour; Operating speed: 450 ft/min (max); Dirve: electric with auxilary deisel motor

Of course these are the specs that were bid on. What was provided would need to meet or exceed these criteria. So let's say is it operating at 300 feet/min, it would take about 8 minutes to get to the top. If operating at max speed--5.5 minutes.   Almost as good as an express lift. Not sure what the general operating speed will be.

SwissMountain
September 22, 2016
Member since 05/18/2007 🔗
68 posts

Just checked out the new website.  I am a little concerned when it comes to price point at LM.  Comparing a 1hr private lesson rates with other resorts i am not supriced that LM is 20% higher when comparing non-peak rates with wisp and camelback.  Peak rates are in the 30% higher.  So my question is what makes LM so much more superior than the two other resorts when it comes to get people to learn the skill to become life long customers?

SwissMountain
September 22, 2016
68 posts

SnowSmith.  The speed of 300 means they will run it at a 66% capacity,which on slow days will be higher.  On busy days you will see a 45% efficiency.  This is almost the norm for fix grips.  The fact they have only one lift you wil have every level of riders on that lift.  Even with a semi busy day you will face some lines at the lift.  As we know there are many factors when we liok at this numbers but don't take my word just go to the top terminal and count the people coming off the lift on a busy day.  Regarding the slopes.  Regardless of Mtn in the PA area they are "hills" and not mtn's..:-). So I guess we can rest that argument.

skinavy
September 22, 2016
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
78 posts

The very top of the splash homepage says:

"Nestled in Laurel Mountain State Park, Laurel Mountain Ski Resort is an iconic and revered skiers’ mountain located in Ligonier, PA. Not only does Laurel Mountain boast the highest vertical drop on the Laurel Ridge in Pennsylvania at 900 feet"

September 22, 2016
778 posts

skinavy wrote:

The very top of the splash homepage says:

"Nestled in Laurel Mountain State Park, Laurel Mountain Ski Resort is an iconic and revered skiers’ mountain located in Ligonier, PA. Not only does Laurel Mountain boast the highest vertical drop on the Laurel Ridge in Pennsylvania at 900 feet"

That is an update to the original version posted a few days ago.  The original version said in Pennsylvania.  

Woody

September 22, 2016 (edited September 22, 2016)
778 posts

snowsmith wrote:

From the construction contract Specifications - Section 02855 - Fixed Grip Chairlift:

Length: 2300+/- feet ; vertical: 765', Slope length: 2424 ft;    [snip]

This vertical (just under 800 feet) is about what I get by examining topographic maps of Laurel Mountain.  See ACME Mapper2.1, for instance, and switch back and forth between satellite and topo views.

While I don't expect topographic maps and satellite photos to provide exact elevations to the nearest foot, they have stood the test of time as being accurate to the contour intervals stated (i.e., 10 feet or 20 feet).  Sorry to disagree, Laurel Hill Crazie, but I am going to trust a topographic map and satellite photo more than a single report of a set of quickly taken GPS readings.  Note what the lift specs are.

That being said, the terrain certainly looks challenging and I will accept that, from all reports, Laurel Mountain skis larger than iits 800 +/- vertical drop would suggest.

Can't wait ! 

Woody

(edited  for typos at approx. 12:33 PM 22 Sept. 2016)

September 23, 2016 (edited September 23, 2016)
2,038 posts

Woody, I'm just reporting what I've been told and I don't really disagree with you. In fact, you make the most relevant observations about the actual skiing experience. Laurel skis large and it is a challenge.

If I'm not mistaken, in the photo above, the grooming machine is a winch cat. That should tell you something. I attended a state sponsored meeting on the 19th. The supervisor of construction took some questions. About widening Lower Wildcat he told us that he took the crew chief down to explain where and how to do the work. He asked that all the cut trees be pulled back up the hill instead of downhill which is the usual practice. The grade was too steep, there is no road to the bottom lift terminus and he did not want to drag the lumber uphill over the newly graded ski trails. Later that day he was informed that hauling the trees uphill didn't happen. The winch cables broke several times and the crew chief thought it would be safe to drag the tress downhill using the blade of his dozer as a brake. That's steep. 

As for vertical drop claims, a circa 1960 copy of the Whitebook on ski area stats list Laurel at 810 and that was before the double chair when the top to bottom T-bar off loaded at the top of Upper Wildcat, That is where the old Laurel House (pictured on Laurel's new web site) sat. Beginner trails went uphill from the Laurel House to near the current lodge.  Advertised and widely published reports pegged Laurel's vertical at 900 since the installation of the double chair in 1968, perhaps earlier. Just curious Woody, does the map you use also show State Park boundaries? If so, what is the greatest vertical drop within the boundaries of Laurel Mountain State Park?

KeithT
September 23, 2016
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts

LHC, I like Caltopo better than Woody's site becuase you can zoom in more on the topos.

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=40.16496,-79.16216&z=15&b=t

Looks like the hill behind the lodge (Ulery Hill) is 2,820-2,829 feet

Bottom of park boundary at Wildcat is 1,940

Bottom of boundary where old lift was (main face) and the cross trail (over to Wildcat) is 2,160 feet (sorry I dont know the trail names)

These are all based on the park boundaries not lifts or trails, which I assumed was your question.  

Per the topo lodge is at between 2,680 and 2,700 feet

FYI bottom of whole site at Rolling Rock Creek junction is 1700 feet.  

Bonzski
September 23, 2016
652 posts

Measuring altitude using standard GPS is known be unreliable unless using commercial grade differential equipment. Mobile devices, even with an altimeter, can vary by 10-100 ft.

Turning on "Slope Angle Shading" in CalTopo shows the challenging parts of LM by highlighting the high pitch areas.  The steepest portion is similar in slope angle to that of Lower Shays (Snowshoe) and maybe longer.

September 23, 2016 (edited September 25, 2016)
2,038 posts

KiethT, thanks for the calculations. I'll allow readers to draw there own conclusion. ;~)

So Laurel has the potential to be 1700 vertical feet? It would beat Snowshoe by 200 ft. vertical and Hunter by 100 ft. That would be the highest vertical in the Mid-Atlantic, no? Haha, if it were but so. As to why it is not  go to 1700 feet well, the bottom part of the hill belongs to the very exclusive Rolling Rock Club and their trout hatchery and pristine trout streams but historically, my guess is that Laurel was built before snowmaking technology so I'm thinking 1900 ft, elevation was in the reliable snowline.

(edit to make sense)

September 23, 2016
925 posts

Endpoint pins dropped on the top and bottom lift terminals.   Length 2474.  Vertical 790.  

making up for lost time
September 23, 2016
Member since 09/20/2016 🔗
25 posts

Thanks for all the posts everyone! I am new as a poster, although I've been lurking here and reading posts for the past several years. I started skiing in 2008 and fell in love with it. Our family bought a condo at 7Springs last year, and we really enjoy it, hence "making up for lost time".

Quick question on Wildcat and Laurel Mountain: Will the lift line be skiable and steep, like a black diamond?

Thanks again, for all the posts over the years, I have enjoyed all of your posts tremendously!

September 24, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Welcome, "making up!!  Where do you live and what is your age?

MorganB

aka The Colonel

making up for lost time
September 24, 2016
25 posts

Hi Colonel,

51 years of age from Pittsburgh, PA

Hoping for lots of snow this year and really energized by the opening of Laurel Mountain,

Making up for lost time

September 24, 2016 (edited September 24, 2016)
2,038 posts

making up for lost time wrote:

Thanks for all the posts everyone! I am new as a poster, although I've been lurking here and reading posts for the past several years. I started skiing in 2008 and fell in love with it. Our family bought a condo at 7Springs last year, and we really enjoy it, hence "making up for lost time".

Quick question on Wildcat and Laurel Mountain: Will the lift line be skiable and steep, like a black diamond?

Thanks again, for all the posts over the years, I have enjoyed all of your posts tremendously!

Lower Wildcat is black diamond steep, much steeper than anything on the Springs' Northface. All of Wildcat has snowmaking, the same type of snow guns that 7 Springs has, HKD. If past practice is any indication, all of Laurel's trails with snowmaking will be covered day one of opening. As for the liftline. First, the new lift will unload about 100 feet closer to the lodge. From the bottom the lift runs along skier's right of Lower Wildcat but about half way up Lower they separate. The liftline under Wildcat will have snowmaking  but from the point they diverge there is no snowmaking. When there is natural coverage the upper liftline will be open for skiing and yes it too is steep perhaps not as steep as Lower Wildcat for sustained pitch but expert terrain nonetheless. I hope to see you there this winter.

making up for lost time
September 26, 2016
25 posts

Thanks so much for the information, Laurel Hill Crazie! I hope to see you out there, as well.

hockeydave
September 26, 2016
780 posts

It seems that Laurel will be open for skiing this year!!! Its been a long time coming. The rehab work is almost complete and the web site is up and running. All that is needed now is the cooperation of the weather.

Just to echo the sentiments of LHC from a previous post, the forum that Scott and DCSki have provided was instrumental in getting Laurel reopened. Without it, this story most likely would not be having the happy ending it looks like it is now going to have. I know for certain that many higher ups at the DCNR and 7S monitored what was said here over the years and may have at times moved them from inaction to action. Some words were critical, but only stated in the interest of getting Laurel reopened.

I also want to thank the Buncher Corp. who started this ball rolling back in 2007. Without their
interest back then, other parties may have just let Laurel sit idle.

But a real special thanks goes out to LHC himself. He has been such an eloquent advocate for resurrecting
Laurel. His ability to use words to express his love of skiing at Laurel and the his knowledge of the rich history at Laurel is 2nd to none.

September 26, 2016 (edited September 26, 2016)
2,038 posts

Thanks Dave for the kind words but I'm just another voice in the conversation but I must give credit to the most persistent voice that belonging to Ligonier Mayor Butch Bellas who relentlessly lobbied Governors, politicians and business people, in short, anyone who would listen. If there is one person who is the voice of Laurel it is the Mayor. Special thanks to Alicia Hoover and Carol Darr for starting the Save Laurel Facebook Group that provided the catalyst for the March 2015 public meeting organized by Bob Nutting. Special thanks to the forum member whose screen name implies a mythological goblin whose particular mischief is refreshing icy trails and helping injured skiers.

Take a bow to Dave and all who care enough to comment it was your comments both caustic and caring that kept Laurel in the public eye.

Yinz all come up the mountain and give us a looksee.

September 26, 2016
925 posts

enough with this love fest, where's the damn trailmap ?  that's the lifeblood of distant skiers. 

September 26, 2016
2,038 posts

Last day, September 27, to get a $50 gift card with purchase of adult season pass $450. Senior/junior and child at $390 and $360 gets a $25 gift card.

Early unofficial version:

12744440_10103420968309023_2789582570636

September 27, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Looked at trail map:  how does a person get from bottom right back to lift on left?

jimmy
September 27, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Ski.

September 27, 2016
925 posts

jimmy wrote:

Ski.

Refer to the topo map above. There is about a 200+ vertical drop between looker's bottom right and left.  So you get to Ski Downhill !  

September 27, 2016
2,038 posts

Yes, perspective on the maps is screwy. Deer Path, #13 on the map, does drop about 200 ft and is a relatively easy trail now that it has been widened.

September 27, 2016
1,576 posts

Does Dream Highway have snow making. It looks like that blue trail would be the longest good run on the mountain.

Crush
September 27, 2016 (edited September 27, 2016)
1,271 posts

man - i just love the excitement this is generating - so refreshing and the topo maps look kick-a$$ for sure.  Scott's code scales the button for the thread according to number of posts and this mutha is getting to 800px wide lol freakin' huge. Go and get it!

September 27, 2016
2,038 posts

snowsmith wrote:

Does Dream Highway have snow making. It looks like that blue trail would be the longest good run on the mountain.

Unfortunately no snowmaking. Dream is a nice old school blue run that rolls with the terrain and is narrow by modern standards. It was cut before snowmaking so the design should best preserve snow. During this rebuild Dream was brushed back and somewhat graded to use for construction equipment. With the care I've seen Ligonier Construction apply to restoring trails and slopes prior to re-seeding I have know doubt the the Dream should ski like a dream when natural snow allows.

hockeydave
September 28, 2016
780 posts
September 28, 2016
2,038 posts

Thanks for the photos Dave. I can't wait for the vedeo.

September 28, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

1 Great pictures of the new Laurel!

2  we need to get the new snowmaking ponds filled for max snowmaking production

3  LHC...any chance you could explain some of the slope/chair views

MorganB

aka The Colonel

hockeydave
September 30, 2016 (edited September 30, 2016)
780 posts

Seven Springs has done a very, very nice job with the new Laurel website. I love the nostalgic pics, especially of the 1960's lodge. Having never been in it and really liking the new one, I was hoping someone who had been in it can describe it.

Sorry. Call me a stickler for details, but the footer for the entire website has a picture from the top of North Face at Seven Springs. I'm not complaining, but a picture from the top of Lower Wildcat would be appropriate,

September 30, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Probably has to wait until they get snow and are operational this winter!

MorganB

October 1, 2016
2,038 posts

The Colonel wrote:

MorganB

aka The Colonel

I'll get to it soon.

hockeydave wrote:

Seven Springs has done a very, very nice job with the new Laurel website. I love the nostalgic pics, especially of the 1960's lodge. Having never been in it and really liking the new one, I was hoping someone who had been in it can describe it.

Sorry. Call me a stickler for details, but the footer for the entire website has a picture from the top of North Face at Seven Springs. I'm not complaining, but a picture from the top of Lower Wildcat would be appropriate,.

I think they are trying to get the essence of skiing Laurel, they are doing right by the heritage. Great execution. All in all I think they hit a fair price point too. You can wish for a second lift, I think they'll need it on weekends but you should find the snowmaking trails well covered and maintained. Skiing mid-week should be like a quiet adventure on near empty trails. I'm glad I'm retired.

The historic photos that they used were mostly donated to the resort in 1999. That collection has been added to by JD and Carol Darr who are now the curators of the collection. Thanks for keeping the  old photos safe and thanks for allowing them to be digitized. 

Maybe next season the bottom banner will be changed

jimmy
October 4, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Crush wrote:

man - i just love the excitement this is generating - so refreshing and the topo maps look kick-a$$ for sure.  Scott's code scales the button for the thread according to number of posts and this mutha is getting to 800px wide lol freakin' huge. Go and get it!

Exciting you bet. I can't wait to get to know this place better. Two hour drive from Wheeling.

October 6, 2016 (edited October 6, 2016)
2,038 posts

The Colonel wrote:

MorganB

aka The Colonel

1. Cover photo, Laurel Lodge center, new quad on the left. Snow Bowl under lift (not on trail list or map, might simply be called liftline, Ski Top, Tame Cat,
  2. Parking lot center, Laurel House, Tame Cat below to Upper Broadway and Innsbruck to the far right.
  3. same as #1
  4. Summit ponds
  5. Summit ponds, Laurel Lodge to the lower right
  6. Pond at Midway Cabin
  7. from the left, Maintenance Building, Bob Cat to Innsbruck and Lincoln Highway (old quad line), Laurel Lodge, Tame Cat to Upper Broadway. Ski Top to Laurel Run, Wildcat. Liftline/Snow Bowl to Dream
  8. same as #7
  9. Laurel Lodge from the parking lot, Ski Top to the right
  10. Lodge
  11. Lodge
  12. Lift Line and Lower Wildcat
  13. again
  14. different angle with Deer Path at the bottom
  15. Deer Path
  16. going up hill, Deer Path
  17. Lower Broadway to Deer Path
  18. Looking up Broadway
  19. Up Innsbruck
  20. Broadway at Deer Path
  21. Deer Path
  22. bottom of the lift
  23. Lower Broadway
  24. Broadway on left, Innsbruck on right above Midway Cabin
  25. Broadway
  26. Innsbruck looking down to Midway (construction equipment)
  27. The bottom of the old double was down hill from the 10 foot boulder at center
  28. Midway Cabin
  29. Yinz can figure aut the rest 'n 'at.
acc304
October 10, 2016
Member since 08/20/2016 🔗
1 posts

http://triblive.com/news/westmoreland/11223065-74/ski-mountain-laurel?

October 29, 2016 (edited October 29, 2016)
2,038 posts

bousquet19 wrote:

Laurel Hill Crazie, thanks so much for being such a persistent advocate for Laurel and for keeping us updated on the happenings there.  I'm truly psyched about skiing some new (to me) terrain in the Laurel Highlands, even though Lower Wildcat might be a bit much for my skills.

I agree that Laurel's new beginninbg should include an honest presentation of mountain statistics.  Although 900 vertical feet is the oft-quoted figure for Laurel's vertical, I've looked at the topographic maps and can't find even 800 vertical feet of ski terrain.  I remember that c. 2005 Whitetail was still advertising a vertical of 1000 feet, then they dropped it down to 935 feet.  Hidden Valley, too, chopped down its claims of vertical to a # that reflected reality.  I hope the same will be true for Laurel.  

If I can't trust Laurel's claims of having 900 vertical feet and Pennsylvania's greatest vertical drop, why would I trust their snow reports?

Woody

Just to revisit this topic I noticed on Laurels new web site the vertical drop is now listed at 761 feet. That change tells me that Seven Springs and Laurel management is concerned about the veracity of their statements. On the page that that describes slopes and trails, statistics are listed including vertical drop and acreage of trails and slopes. As for the veracity of Seven Springs snow reports, I know I'll get some flak when I say that the Springs offers the most accurate conditions report around. Reports are usually posted by 6 am sometimes earlier and often updated late in the day. Compare this to Blue Knob or Timberline. If you are a commuter skier with an hour or more drive time and you want to make it on the mountain close to opening then the only way you will find out about conditions is to get on the lift and ski. How many times have days gone by without a snow report update at T-line or BK?. I really do believe and it has been my subjective experience that Seven Springs provides the most accurate information at the time. Now if you check a report in the morning then go ski a twilight pass on a busy Saturday and find all the popular trails to be icy, is that because you were purposely deceived by a bogus trail report or did heavy skier traffic polish off all the snow groomed the night before?

I was up on the hill on Thursday as a member of the State's focus group. I was invited to provide some historical background to an architect firm that was brought in to evaluate the condition of Laurel's first lodge, Midway Cabin. This meeting was mostly a tour of the facility with actual working meetings to be schedules later. These later meetings will determine how Midway can be restored.Midway is owned by the State. We meet in the construction "trailers" used for offices and meeting space during the rehab because work was underway remodeling the Laurel Lodge.I looked in the windows to note a crew at work. Exactly what the changes to the lodge will look like was not yet evident and I must admit that I really didn't look hard at the interior work. What struck me was the improvements made the Lodge entrance from the parking lot. What once was a limestone path and courtyard that was difficult to keep cleared, potentially dangerous slip and fall hazard and next to impossible ADA access is now a heated set of steps and ADA ramp to the lodge. That news won't excite skiers only concerned about trail, lift, and snowmaking improvements but it does make the lodge more user friendly

All the newly graded slopes have been seeded and the new grass is thick. Lower Wildcat has been widened and seeded too. Most if not all of the rest of the terrain has been mowed. The snowmaking water and airlines are being pressure tested and leaks in the old piping is being or has been repaired, I can't remember exactly what we were told. I asked and it was confirmed that the liftline under the new chair will be open to skiing, natural snow permitting and the exciting news for expert skier is that at the junction of the new liftline and Lower Wildcat the drop is steeper than the main face with what appeared to me to be a few exposed rock ledges. The down side is that it will need a lot of natural snow to open.

SwissMountain
October 31, 2016
68 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie, if we start to compare 7springs snow report with BK and Timberline I guess the benchmark Is pretty low.  In regards to the vertical drop, I bet now one cares outside of LM/PA who has the steepest drop!  At the end, the ridding community needs to support LM to make it worth for 7springs to operate it.  I guess they will receive many tax privileges just like using goats on its resorts, which I believe is a great idea but my bigger concern is where are the additional  riders come from?  I have not seen any big marketing push, besides a few flyers in Ligonier, to support LM.  Riders will come from HV, 7S and BK and that's it.  Some will pay the additional fee to ride all three Mtn but I do not believe this will cut.  Let's assume you need 40,000 skier visit to make it profitable.  That means you need 400 riders every day considering we have a 100 days season.  What is Ligonier doing in regards of lodging?  Ligonier and the LH need to start market it.  I understand they go to trade shows but I truly believe local grassroots groups would benefit LM more in the long run.  There are many projects that will support this.  I do hope it will work out for everyone especially for the new Ligonier generation.

October 31, 2016 (edited October 31, 2016)
2,038 posts

I  agree with you SwissM in that the real test is going to be skier visits, paying skiers at that. Will Laurel attract new markets and what is is about Laurel that will attract a new skier? You know as well as I (assuming you have actually been to Laurel to at least hike the trails) that the difference between Laurel and the Springs is the extent of upper level terrain. Laurel now has three solid low intermediate and true blue runs in Broadway, Innsbruck and Deer Path combined drop 761 vertical feet and run for about a mile. Lower Wildcat is expert steep. So I think that if you want to attract new skiers then you got to give them a reason why. These are two reasons, longer than average intermediate trails and true expert terrain. Also, I didn't start the speculation about Laurel's vertical. It is of concern to those that questioned the stats.

If you think that the dedicated snowsport enthusiast doesn't check for such facts then I don't know why anybody would possibly travel to large destination resorts, if there is good groomed coverage at home. You go to big mountains to ski longer, more challenging terrain and conditions.

Also, Laurel will restore the hierarchy of terrain in this part of the state. After you master the North Face at the Springs you are ready to try Wildcat. I know that the truly dedicated skier can become an excellent skier on terrain that does not demand good technique but in the real world, once many skiers manage to "ski" down a resort's most difficult trail and have fun doing it, doesn't fall often or even at all then "mission accomplished," "I must be an expert skier because I 've been skiing the toughest trail all day and haven't fallen once," they will tell themselves. Wildcat won't lull you into a false sense of mastery.

What else does Laurel have to offer to distinguish itself and attract new skiers and not just dilute the local market? An environment unspoiled by real estate development, long trails, and expert terrain is a part of that answer. 

As for daily ski reports, Seven Springs is the benchmark and yes Blue Knob and Timberline are well below the standard. I'm a commuter skier, pay as I go. I depend on basic trail report , basic as in is the expert terrain open?  I need to know that at least 2 hours before opening to make a decision. If you're checking the reports mid-week, good luck on finding today's report at midmorning or even yesterday's condition for that matter.

November 1, 2016
778 posts

LHC, thanks for the Laurel updates on multiple fronts.  

I'm glad to see their revision of the vertical drop to a more reasonable 761 feet.  Plenty of skiing as far as I'm concerned.

Woody

GGNagy
November 6, 2016
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts

So I go away for a year, and suddenly LM is going to open? Should have done that a long time ago!

12/15, huh?

hockeydave
November 10, 2016
780 posts

I received the email newsletter yesterday from Laurel Mountain Ski indicating they "goofed" on the hours of operation. They now have skiing 9AM to 9PM on Thursdays; prior hours was 9 to 4 on Thursdays.

Bravo to the new managment for adding Thursday night.

December 3, 2016
1,576 posts

Webcam is up and running at it looks like they are making snow! Awesome!

imp - DCSki Supporter 
December 3, 2016
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts

compressors arrive Monday, snowmaking to start tuesday or wednesday.

hoping for the 17th-19th for opening. Lodge improvements are great, new plaza is heated, carpet all over.

December 5, 2016 (edited December 5, 2016)
2,038 posts

Yunz guys dahn air in Warshintun Dc should be seein' this ad in yinzes newspapers n at. Yunz has gotta come on aut ta da mahntain up here so yinz kin ski th woods when we git th natch'ril. Check it aut:

Ski & Snowboard at Three Resorts for One Great Vacation!

laurel-eblast-header2-featured-image

TWEET  SHARE

We’re gearing up for a new chapter of winter sports in Pennsylvania’s Laurel Highlands with the historic reopening of the beloved Laurel Mountain.

Nestled in Laurel Mountain State Park, Laurel Mountain Ski Resort is an iconic and revered skiers’ mountain located in Ligonier, PA. Not only does Laurel Mountain boast the highest vertical drop on the Laurel Ridge in Pennsylvania at 761 feet, the mountain is famous for its double diamond Lower Wildcat Slope, the steepest in the state which averages near 60% slope. Lower Wildcat is a breathtaking run that, for the avid skier, simply must be taken.

Laurel Mountain’s distinct character is the result of a rich history. The slopes were originally designed by European skiing legend Johann “Hannes” Schneider, the renowned Austrian ski guide and inventor of the Arlberg Method, the basis of modern alpine ski technique. The resort opened in 1940, just before the U.S. entered World War II, and some of the original structures, including the storied Midway Cabin, still stand on the property. Once an exclusive club for the most prestigious residents of Pennsylvania, Laurel Mountain was gifted to the commonwealth in 1964 and is now a winter playground for everyone.

With its rich history and majestic long-range views, Laurel Mountain stands as testament to the strength of the region’s ski industry. Just 72 miles east of Pittsburgh, Laurel Mountain joins its neighboring sister resorts, Seven Springs and Hidden Valley, to create the premier snowsports destination in the region.

December 5, 2016
1,576 posts

Hey hon - day gonna have dat ad in da Balmer Sun? Bring da Stillers down na Inna Hawbor so we can trow dem in da wader.

December 6, 2016 (edited December 6, 2016)
2,038 posts

I don't care if da Ravings wear purple, yinz is still da Brawns. I never knew the sun shined in Balmer. Yinz is gonna be in ar haus Chrispmis dey n da Stillers will open the present call AFC North Champion. 

December 7, 2016
1,576 posts

Sorry Hon - after we beat da Knew Ingwund Patruts, da Ravens will be da Grinch who tole Chrixmus from da Stillers. I'll bet you a case of Natty Boh. 

And note that Pittsburgh has more cloudy days than Seatle....Hon.

December 7, 2016
1,580 posts

snowsmith wrote:

And note that Pittsburgh has more cloudy days than Seatle....Hon.

n more a dem lumbardys to  ...... (hehehe)  go stillerz

snow.buck
December 7, 2016
Member since 12/12/2009 🔗
202 posts

I don't speak Jive, or Eubonics, or whatever language these Posters are using...could someone translate their Posts in to English?!?

jimmy
December 8, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

snow.buck wrote:

I don't speak Jive, or Eubonics, or whatever language these Posters are using...could someone translate their Posts in to English?!?

http://www.pittsburghese.com/translator.shtml

I suppose it's more of a dialect than a language of its own

Bonzski
December 8, 2016
652 posts

snow.buck wrote:

I don't speak Jive, or Eubonics,

Waw dem fayten wards, meet me in the stillers pawken lawt before da game for yer knawkle samwich from premaynti bros.

December 8, 2016
1,580 posts
hockeydave
December 8, 2016
780 posts

Just checked all 3 webcams at 7S, HV, and LM (12:15 PM). Making snow at 7S and HV, but not LM. Of course, the LM webcam shows only the top part of the mountain near the lodge, so snowmaking might be occurring at the bottom???

crgildart
December 8, 2016
767 posts

snow.buck wrote:

Mrs Cleaver, Barbara Billingslea does!

https://frsfreestatenow.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/15931146721_17f4d143bb_o.jpg

crgildart
December 8, 2016 (edited December 8, 2016)
767 posts

Back on topic, most places with good snow making infrastructure should have some terrain open by Saturday morning.  Weather today through mid morning Saturday is ideal for blowing snow.

I'll be at Beech Mountain Saturday

msprings
December 8, 2016
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts
From their Instagram account. They are making snow! LAUREL IS BACK!
msprings
December 8, 2016
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNxc_wtjHvz/
SCWVA
December 9, 2016
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

Hey LHC,

Is Laurel Mountain a member of the Pennsylvania Ski Area Association?  They're not listed as one of the participating ski areas on my daughter's 4th/5th Graders ski PA for Free pass.

jimmy
December 9, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

SCWVA wrote:

Hey LHC,

Is Laurel Mountain a member of the Pennsylvania Ski Area Association?  They're not listed as one of the participating ski areas on my daughter's 4th/5th Graders ski PA for Free pass.

I was wondering the same thing about the PSAA Dedicated Skier passes. 

December 10, 2016
2,038 posts

jimmy wrote:

SCWVA wrote:

Hey LHC,

Very good questions and I will get you an answer. My hunch says that they do. Seven Springs is a member of PSAA but I'll ask. 

Jimmy, if they don't accept the cards at Laurel, use one at 7S and with the savings buy a Laurel ticket. I know, you'd rather just ski Laurel.

crgildart
December 10, 2016
767 posts

Did it happen yet?  Came here looking for photos and happy happy zone posts.  Beech was a manmade whiteout today but definitely fun skiing between goggle scraping stops.

December 11, 2016
2,038 posts

Laurel is targetting next weekend for opening. Snowmaking began this last week.

crgildart
December 11, 2016 (edited December 11, 2016)
767 posts

Now many acres do they need to cover?  The 125 acre places here up to 1200' vert can get a top to bottom run open in 2.5 days of good snow making temps.  I guess they still have some kinks to work out with their snow operations to get that effective and well focused..

December 11, 2016
1,576 posts

I noticed the guns are turned off on the web cam. Are they having mechanical problems?

December 11, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

I think I read that the new compressors had only been recently delivered!

December 11, 2016
2,038 posts

crgildart wrote:

Now many acres do they need to cover?  The 125 acre places here up to 1200' vert can get a top to bottom run open in 2.5 days of good snow making temps.  I guess they still have some kinks to work out with their snow operations to get that effective and well focused..

The time frame is about the same. I have no doubt that Laurel could open early this week, baring rapid warm up and rain or mechanical difficulties (I haven't heard of any but it is a mystery that lights are and no snowmaking as I write). My hunch is that they prefer a weekend opening for maximum use and a positive impact, also standard procedure of all resort openings. Why aren't they open this weekend? I think that mid-December was always the goal and detail work was ongoing and still might be. I noticed that the closed noticed pinned at the top of the Save Laurel FB group just came down and I knew it would not come down until all construction was complete. Seven Springs and Hidden Valley are open for those that can't wait. I'll wait.

December 13, 2016
1,576 posts

I am assuming there must be a mechanical problem because it does not appear they made enough snow to open the slopes this weekend. However, I am basing that on the webcam view.

SwissMountain
December 13, 2016
68 posts

As to the opening date.  Weather should not be a factor to open this weekend.  What will keep them from opening is not having everything button up.  Does anyone know wher the beginner surface lift is?  The snowmaking has for sure issues which is almost the case with many new/updates.  We all can agree that many big ticket items are not in place or do not work as expected.  At the same time they will make zero money by opening it too early.  I almost guarantee the resort will open just before xmass.  Owning three resorts one can only guess why LM will not open early.  Besides many other issues that comes with operating a resort.  I guess I am a believer when I see it and not what people want to believe.

hockeydave
December 13, 2016 (edited December 13, 2016)
780 posts

If there are any issues with opening the resort, then honest communication as to why would be nice. As I type, the web cam hasn't been updated since 7:45 this morning. I promise not to mention that they had 8 years to prepare for this ski season ;-)

I believe the air temp is too warm and too humid to make snow. But that should change overnight. Here's hoping they can open next week at the latest, and maybe even this weekend.

UPDATE: Just saw this article.

http://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/11629130-74/friday-laurel-mountain

Not sure what "final touches" means.

SwissMountain
December 14, 2016
68 posts

Does anyone know if a entry level surface lift such as a carpet and/or cord lift is installed and functional?

imp - DCSki Supporter 
December 14, 2016
299 posts

one handle tow for tamecat, beginers slope. for now.

SwissMountain
December 14, 2016 (edited December 14, 2016)
68 posts

New lift on back order?  I guess planning committee did not have enough time for project planning...😅 Or someone was sleeping on the job😴  Can't sell a product (riding) without proper equipment especially not this days.  Even in the 40's Johann Schneider had the best equipment available at the time.... They walked up the hill.  In the Arlberger style that was part of their progression.  I guess we could charge the beginners a uphill ticket for using the snow....

Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

SwissMountain wrote:

New lift on back order?  I guess planning committee did not have enough time for project planning...😅 Or someone was sleeping on the job😴  Can't sell a product (riding) without proper equipment especially not this days.  Even in the 40's Johann Schneider had the best equipment available at the time.... They walked up the hill.  In the Arlberger style that was part of their progression.  I guess we could charge the beginners a uphill ticket for using the snow....

for some folks the glass is never three-quarter full!

2,038 posts

SwissMountain wrote:

Hey SwissMountain, why did you change your post, the first one was not negative enough? I don't recall anybody saying anything about a carpet lift on back order or ordered at all. There was never tax money earmarked for a lift like that. I doubt the state will spend anymore money in the near future for infrastructure improvements. If there is to be one in the near future it will be Seven Springs that will foot that bill. I can tell Bob Nutting how to spend his money too and it would not be on a  magic carpet for beginners.

As for handle tows surface lift for beginners, I think being pulled uphill will teach you more about balance than an hour lesson on easy terrain with a conveyer belt to gently haul you back uphill, no balance required. After I learned to keep my balance on a surface lifts and gained comfort and confidence, I began to play wth a little edging and rotary skills. Nice and safe, no worries about gravity or speed. 

Oh, Schneider's teaching method was called Arlberg not Arlberger, you know, after the mountain. Being from Europe (I assume) I thought that you would know that but you are SwissMountain and not AustrianMountain, my bad. I'm sure you'll change that too.

crgildart
December 14, 2016
767 posts

Yoos guyz really need to go skeenzz..

SwissMountain
December 15, 2016
68 posts

I agree we need to go riding.  I do not disagree with Laurel Hill on the setup of a learning progression uphill transportation.  Beginners do need a carpet in 2016 and more advanced beginners can and should use a mega star lift (cord).  Most places do not use ropes any longer just not save.  Anyhow, why did they not plan for one?  I was hoping it would be open for this weekend.  Laurel hill since you have a foot in the known, why is LM not open this weekend?  Don't tell me we did not have enough cold days.  The wet bulb temps were fine to have 2-3 days of good snowmaking.   Je vines de Verbier....voilà 

December 15, 2016
2,038 posts

SwissMountain wrote:

I agree we need to go riding.  I do not disagree with Laurel Hill on the setup of a learning progression uphill transportation.  Beginners do need a carpet in 2016 and more advanced beginners can and should use a mega star lift (cord).  Most places do not use ropes any longer just not save.  Anyhow, why did they not plan for one?  I was hoping it would be open for this weekend.  Laurel hill since you have a foot in the known, why is LM not open this weekend?  Don't tell me we did not have enough cold days.  The wet bulb temps were fine to have 2-3 days of good snowmaking.   Je vines de Verbier....voilà 

My apology for my smarmy reply to you. We all do need to get out on the snow. I'm really not that "in the know" when it comes to operations. I did spend time trying to get the Laurel reopened and came to know what the state plans long after the issues were decided. I really don't have an answer as to why they will not open this weekend. It certainly seems that there was plenty of time to get the hill covered. We will just have to wait for that answer, if we ever get one. You know much more about actual mountain operation than I. You outlined a number of start up issues in a previous post. Perhaps there is not enough time for newly made snow to cure before grooming, maybe there were issues upon full start up. It looks like there will be skiing soon. I'm planning on going there this Saturday. Maybe we can get some answers then. In the meantime there is a new video on the official Laurel web site; http://www.laurelmountainski.com/

December 15, 2016
2,038 posts

jimmy wrote:

SCWVA wrote:

Hey LHC,

Just got word and it seems like the answer is no to both questions but all the people did in the pass office was to check PSAA's list of participating resorts. If I learn otherwise, I'll post here.

imp - DCSki Supporter 
December 15, 2016
299 posts

Both HV and the springs were open before Laurel got their air compressors, 

The electrical contractor had untill today the 15th to finish work, and they were still there yesterday.

It is hard not to be skiing considering the weather but getting it done right will be worth it in the long run.

SwissMountain
December 15, 2016
68 posts

No worries Laurel Hill Grazy- I am currently wearing my big boy pants.  I guess we could xc this weekend always fun.  Thanks for the update.

rbrtlav
December 17, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Looks like they are going to open Wednesday at noon. All and all "rebuilding" a ski resort in the period of time they did is not bad. Nice to see them get open for the Chrismas break.

http://www.laurelmountainski.com/ski-ride/schedule-rates/

December 17, 2016
2,038 posts

”‹

crgildart
December 17, 2016
767 posts

OK I want to see a photo of first chair..

December 18, 2016
2,038 posts

jimmy wrote:

SCWVA wrote:

Hey LHC,

Just got word and it seems like the answer is no to both questions but all the people did in the pass office was to check PSAA's list of participating resorts. If I learn otherwise, I'll post here.

I talked to the GM last night and he said tha Laurel will honor the PSAA programs, both 4th and 5th Grade passes and the Dedicated Skier Program.

December 18, 2016
2,038 posts

Open House at the Lodge Saturday Night 12/17/16

December 18, 2016
1,576 posts

Looks beautiful although empty. As usual, I guess the Milennials are at home Tweeting and texting. I think they should be called the "Uninvolved" instead of Millenials. Hopefully they will come out and ski. Wish I could be there on Wednesday.

thanks for sharing.....

December 18, 2016
2,038 posts

PSA for those that might check here before heading to the open house, The Wildcat Lounge will be closed today. Yesterday revealed a few more kinks in the system but come visit, check out the Laurel Mountain gear and swag in the retail shop, check out the lodge and say hello to staff.

snowsmith wrote:

Looks beautiful although empty. As usual, I guess the Milennials are at home Tweeting and texting. I think they should be called the "Uninvolved" instead of Millenials. Hopefully they will come out and ski. Wish I could be there on Wednesday.

thanks for sharing.....

Yes, the demographic skewed to the touch of gray and balder that night but we boomers have the leisure time. My millennial kids might be glued to their devices but they are also busy making that beachhead on adulthood, They are working a lot harder at it then I ever did. They will be there to rip it up when the bull wheel turns.

Bonzski
December 18, 2016
652 posts

snowsmith wrote:

Looks beautiful although empty. As usual, I guess the Milennials are at home Tweeting and texting. I think they should be called the "Uninvolved" instead of Millenials. Hopefully they will come out and ski.

We had 20 kids on the Snowshoe Jr race team out practicing today.  It was 47 when we started this morning with rain and wind until noon!, about 12 went back out for the afternoon session (sopping wet) while it changed to snow.  22 deg when we stopped at 3pm.  There's hope!

jimmy
December 18, 2016 (edited December 18, 2016)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

jimmy wrote:

SCWVA wrote:

Hey LHC,

I talked to the GM last night and he said tha Laurel will honor the PSAA programs, both 4th and 5th Grade passes and the Dedicated Skier Program.

Well thanks LHC I will see yinz up dere soon

December 19, 2016
778 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie, thanks for the photos of this weekend's open house at Laurel Mountain.  It looks like they're ready!

Does anyone have an idea of what runs might be open on Wednesday?  I can't get onto the slopes until about 2:30 p.m. or so, but since Wednesday will be a cause for celebration, and with night skiing offered that day, I figure I'll clear time for the trip to be in on the history.

Are any others from the DCSki crowd going on Wednesday?

Woody

December 19, 2016
2,038 posts

Hi Woody, They are tight lipped about what will be open but I wouldn't be surprised if all the snowmaking terrain is open. You cam count on at least 1 top to bottom run with Innsbruck/Deer Path or Broadway/ Deer Path. The trail to the right on the web cam is Ski Top but that dumps out on Broadway. I heard that Lower Wildcat was groomed out on Saturday but after the photos above we got lots of rain so we will have to wait and see Wednesday's Snow Report. I'll be there from noon until late. I'll be wearing this jacket with a grey helmet:

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing and indoor

hockeydave
December 19, 2016
780 posts

Great pic Rob.

Enjoy!!!! I hope there's an incredible turnout, no matter what terrain is open.

Thanks again for your incredible passion for LM. Without the army of folks, and especially you, pushing to reopen Laurel, Wednesday would never have happened.

December 19, 2016
2,038 posts

Thank Bob Nutting, the DCNR. We all had our doubts, Thanks to all the secret movers behind the scenes and that loud mouth Mayor from Lick-an-ear and all those lost on Audi's Run. I'm just a cheer leader. Yunz all come up now, we redd up the place just fer yunz to enjoy.

December 20, 2016
778 posts

From the LM website, here's what's expected on Opening Day December 21, as of 2:20 p.m. Tuesday, December 20:

We should have Upper and Lower Wildcat, Upper and Lower Broadway, Deer Path, Tame Cat and Last Chance. Be sure to check the Snow Report tomorrow to find out about snow conditions and what slopes and trails will be open for Opening Day! Also, be sure to catch Randy Myers in the Laurel Lodge from 12-4, grab a bite at the Laurel House Cafe or Wildcat Lounge.

Woody

December 20, 2016
2,038 posts

Thanks Woody! It looks like Wildcat will be open, top to bottom. That's 760 foot vertical and about 3000 ft of upper intermediate and expert skiing. The last 1200 ft will demand your focus. Broadway to Deer Path will give you the same vertical served up on intermediate to mostly novice terrain for over a mile, a nice glide before you load the chair. Remember, the first run is no wait, you start at the top of the hill but if the parking lot is full and you don't see very many people topside, take a guess of where they might be and adjust attitude accordingly.

Have fun. Be safe. See yinz air n at. Raise the Jolly Roger!

December 20, 2016
1,576 posts

Unfortunately work gets in the way again and I will not be in the Laurels until Friday evening and staying until Jan 2, 2017. I will give it a try as soon as I can. Rain is in the forcast for Sunday, Christmas day and the day after with somewhat mild temps forcast for the week. Hopefully, Mother Nature will be generous and provide us with some white stuff during the Holiday week. The cold temps have allowed for a pretty aggresive snow making operation at 7S, HV and LM. Thus we'll certainly have some skiing and certainly better skiing than last year at this time.

I believe you said Dream Highway has no snow making. When you say no snow making do you mean fixed snow makers? Does it have any hydrants for connection of portables?

ENJOY!!!

Crush
December 20, 2016
1,271 posts

... niiii-ccc-ce ... Hooyah !

imp - DCSki Supporter 
December 20, 2016
299 posts

Dream Highway has no snowmaking. nothing on that side of the chair. almost 3 inches of rain over last weekend hurt everyone.

we need some natural.

December 20, 2016
2,038 posts

snowsmith wrote:

Unfortunately work gets in the way again and I will not be in the Laurels until Friday evening and staying until Jan 2, 2017. I will give it a try as soon as I can. Rain is in the forcast for Sunday, Christmas day and the day after with somewhat mild temps forcast for the week. Hopefully, Mother Nature will be generous and provide us with some white stuff during the Holiday week. The cold temps have allowed for a pretty aggresive snow making operation at 7S, HV and LM. Thus we'll certainly have some skiing and certainly better skiing than last year at this time.

I believe you said Dream Highway has no snow making. When you say no snow making do you mean fixed snow makers? Does it have any hydrants for connection of portables?**

ENJOY!!!

**Next capital project and don't forget the carpet lift for Tame Cat too. 

SwissMountain
December 21, 2016
68 posts

Finally it will be open to the public.  I hope it will be without any issues.  I am a little disappointed that there is no beginner area open with access to an entry level uphill transportation.  Can't take a beginner.  Good luck.  It looks like according to the pics the crowd was at the opening.  Hope for a better start today since there is no school in the valley.

December 21, 2016
1,580 posts

Any DCSkiers make an appearance in their opening video?  

Laurel Opening Day

December 21, 2016
1,576 posts

How many people showed up for the grand re-opening?  The newspapere article indicated more than a dozen?

December 21, 2016
2,038 posts

Nice day, great opening, The Lodge is beautiful and the skiing was long and steep.

Laurel Mountain Ski Resort reopens after years of false starts

With the snip of a ribbon, the historic Laurel Mountain Ski Resort in Ligonier Township officially reopened Wednesday for the first time in 11 years.

WPXI.COM|BY ENDPLAY

December 21, 2016
2,038 posts

snowsmith wrote:

How many people showed up for the grand re-opening?  The newspapere article indicated more than a dozen?

Several hundred, I'd say. A lot of folks just dropped by to say hello too.

December 22, 2016
2,038 posts

Concerning the PA Ski Area Association Programs, 4th and 5th Grade Pass and the Dedicated Skier Program and other coupon offers. It seems the programs are not listed in Laurel's computers so call ahead to see if that glitch has been or can be corrected.Ticket Sales and the GM were gracious with their time when I asked about the program. Let's hope it works out.

jimmy wrote:

jimmy wrote:

SCWVA wrote:

Hey LHC,

Well thanks LHC I will see yinz up dere soon

msprings
December 27, 2016
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts

Was planning on heading to Laurel tomorrow, but I saw that Lower Wildcat is closed. Any word on why? 

Leo
December 28, 2016
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts

msprings wrote:

Was planning on heading to Laurel tomorrow, but I saw that Lower Wildcat is closed. Any word on why? 

I am guessing it's at least possible that it's a coverage issue.  Temps were high Monday into Tuesday with a fair amount of rain overnight Monday into Tues.  Even resorts that had ok snowmaking and coverage are pretty thin at this point.  That's just a guess, I don't know this as fact.

imp - DCSki Supporter 
December 28, 2016
299 posts

rain closed lower tuesday, is to be open wednesday per groomers. just had to move some piles around.

SwissMountain
December 28, 2016
68 posts

Skied one night session but a little disappointed regarding slope lights.  Expected modern slope system since they spend so much on engineering and consulting.  Lights are the sa was in any Walmart parking lot.  For me too many dark spots.  Like the sky track lift and after a few days they fixed the loading area...thanks! Regarding snow coverage, I believe they could have made more snow last week when the wet bulb temp was in their favore but did no ( was at the mtn).  I guess we all can guess why not.

i do like the lodge but don't know about the bar downstairs.  Overall I like riding the mtn.

December 28, 2016
2,038 posts

It turned out to be a nice day on the mountain. Lower Wildcat was open and still very skiable. Conditions should begin to improve over the next few days as cold snowmaking weather returns. I can't wait to ski Innsbruck.

Antoine
December 29, 2016
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

Dose anyone know if they've got any glades? Similar to those at blue knob or if they're are trees which serve as glades but are not officially recognized as glades on the trail map? Clearly they wouldn't be open at the moment but I'm just curious to know. Cheers!

December 29, 2016
2,038 posts

Antoine wrote:

Dose anyone know if they've got any glades? Similar to those at blue knob or if they're are trees which serve as glades but are not officially recognized as glades on the trail map? Clearly they wouldn't be open at the moment but I'm just curious to know. Cheers!

Ask me when you come for a visit on a snowy day.

Antoine
December 30, 2016
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

Antoine wrote:

Ask me when you come for a visit on a snowy day.

Lol secret stash?

hockeydave
December 30, 2016
780 posts

I skied LM on December 23rd for a couple of hours and was AMAZED on how the Lodge was transformed in a matter of months. Hats off to all of the workers who did an amazing job revitalizing it!!!! As many of you are aware, I was extremely critical of all parties that it took so long to move forward and get LM opened. It was definitely worth the wait. Congrats to the DCNR and 7S staff. Laurel will now hopefully be a shining example of what a public/private partnership can accomplish.

And someone who shouldn't be forgotten is Mr. B. from Buncher. He was the one who got the ball rolling back in 2007 and spurred interest in reopening Laurel. Thank You.

msprings
December 30, 2016
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts
The place is skiing great today! 4 or 5 inches of fluff on top. As a millennial who has never skied Laurel before, the place lives up to the hype everyone has been talking about.
December 30, 2016
2,038 posts

Broadway/Deer Path are in nice shape. a long, about 1 1/2 mile, mostly low intermediate cruiser. Upper is a nice wide intermediate pitch and Lower was full of powder bumps. I got a few virgin powder turns in early but bit was skied up pretty fast. Riding the chair just makes me hungry for a huge dump to get some of that mouth watering terrain open. The little snow we got was a tease. I want to see Laurel dressed out in winter white.

camp
December 30, 2016
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

Agree w/ LHC.

Was there late morning today for the first time (w/ lifts running). We didn't get any fresh lines but Lower Wildcat was decent and even decent later when it was scraped off. It actually seemed a little easier to ski later. Definitely see the potential there, much like a Blue Knob (but smaller). Wish there was more open other than Wildcat, but still worth checking out.

LHC, is the liftline ever "open"? It isn't on trail map, but looks like it could ski occasionally. The lodge was great, the parking lot reminded me of White Grass. Such a great old vibe.

Was interesting to see so many snow guns not running on closed trails with temps in the low 20s.

December 30, 2016
2,038 posts

camp wrote:

Agree w/ LHC.

Was there late morning today for the first time (w/ lifts running). We didn't get any fresh lines but Lower Wildcat was decent and even decent later when it was scraped off. It actually seemed a little easier to ski later. Definitely see the potential there, much like a Blue Knob (but smaller). Wish there was more open other than Wildcat, but still worth checking out.

LHC, is the liftline ever "open"? It isn't on trail map, but looks like it could ski occasionally. The lodge was great, the parking lot reminded me of White Grass. Such a great old vibe.

Was interesting to see so many snow guns not running on closed trails with temps in the low 20s.

The chairlift line will open if there is ever enough snow. The top part use to be called Snow Bowl down to the old mid-station. You can still see an old concrete footer near where the mid station was. Laurel Run, Dream Highway, and Lincoln Highway are natural snow trails too. I don't know why snow wasn't being made on Innsbruck but Woodland Trail was getting covered. Laurel may be a little smaller than Blue Knob but Laurel had Wildcat open from day 1.

camp
December 30, 2016
660 posts

Laurel Run, Dream Hwy, and their cut-throughs all looked to be pretty fun. 

msprings
January 1, 2017
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts

Had a great day there on Friday. They had about 4 or 5 inches of snow the night before, and made for some great conditions. Looking forward to when more terrain is open. The pictures are of (From top to Bottom) 1) Upper Broadway 2) Hegan's Cut 3) Cleared Out trees to the skiers right of lower broadway 4) Top of the mountain looking towards the lodge 5) Lower Wildcat

Displaying 20161230_112802.jpgDisplaying 20161230_110822.jpgDisplaying 20161230_110729.jpg

Displaying 20161230_110506.jpgDisplaying 20161230_103701.jpg

January 2, 2017 (edited January 2, 2017)
1,576 posts

Was at LM  for the first time New Year's Day. Wow, what a beautiful place! Lower Wildcat was a bit icy from the previous nights mixed frozen precipitation but was well covered. Great to have the longer runs with the stunning views. The Wildcat Lounge was packed. The lodge is gorgeous. This is a special place. 

hockeydave
January 2, 2017
780 posts

Now if Old Man Winter would cooperate, it would be extra special!

January 2, 2017
2,038 posts

Snowsmith, wife and I were there too. Arrived around 10 but left at 1:30. Broadway was in really nice shape and Lower Wildcat softened up as the day wore on. We had a lazy day mostly cruising. Met Alan who posts on Save Laurel FB page. We skied Lower a few time. Hopefully they will get snowmaking started on Innsbruck this next cold snap. I can't wait until the mountain is covered.

I got a little lazy on powder day. Checking the report, only 2 inches fell the night before but when I got there at 9:30 I was informed that it was shin deep on Lower. I got a few virgin turns in but it was chop and powder bumps the rest of the day.

January 2, 2017
1,576 posts

Well, I wish I knew you were there. I arrived around noon with 2 friends. Skied until 4:15. Had lunch at the Wildcat. 

Does Lincoln Highway have snow making? Where is the old quad lift hiding? Are they happy with support they have received?

imp - DCSki Supporter 
January 3, 2017
299 posts

old quad went for scrap!! cost was supposed to be too high to refurbish. Lincoln Highway does not have snomaking but

they can reach it with ground guns if conditions warrant. no lights there. with this weather I doubt they will have any 

desire to make snow anywhere but the main trails.

imp

January 3, 2017
2,038 posts

I think imp is right. I was hoping if we get consistent cold to preserve base that a little water might be spared to get Lincoln open but this melt down does not help. On the positive side, the ponds are getting full. Friday was a nice crowd by afternoon, the lodge was full, the kitchen and bar were busy. 

January 3, 2017
1,576 posts

So they sent the whole lift to the scap heap? Including the lift poles? Pretty much confines this resort to a single lift forever. From what I remember from the previous studies performed back in 2007, I believe, that lift did not really require much to make it usable.

This weather sucks!!  We'll have an icy base for the remainder of the winter. It will take alot of natural snow to cover up the glacier. A tough start to this ski season. I think Laurel will have a tough time being successful with only two ways to the bottom and only one blue trail segment. Hopefully this weather pattern will turn cold and remain so for while.

January 7, 2017
2,038 posts

The handle tow on the beginner's slope (Tamecat) should be operational this weekend. Tamecat is perfect pitch for first timers and beginners but as Swiss Mountain pointed out, the handle tow can be a challenge for a solo first timer but I helped many a first timer on that lift as an instructor back in 2000 so a lesson for the first timer is a good idea. Beginners with the right attitude will seize the challenge and learn balance and how to control their skis while being pulled uphill, you know the way most of us learned when we started on rope tows. Another "improvement" for Tamecat is the fact that the old quad was removed. That lift use to dump out most of the skiers on the mountain right onto Tamecat making the trail the prime route to the rest of the mountain. Now Tamecat is more isolated with most pass through traffic keeping to skiers left, away from the handle tow. Much better traffic flow because Ski Top was restored as ski terrain. The tubing hill that was there is removed, no tubing at Laurel.

Innsbruck should be open real soon, maybe Sunday???. The 6 to 8 inch snow that fell through Friday was mostly groomed/packed on the snowmaking trails (too bad but understandable) We need about a foot to get the rest of the nature reliant blue trails open. Twice that to get the rest of the black terrain, maybe 3 times that to get the lowest portion of the charlift line open.

snowsmith wrote:

So they sent the whole lift to the scap heap? Including the lift poles? Pretty much confines this resort to a single lift forever. From what I remember from the previous studies performed back in 2007, I believe, that lift did not really require much to make it usable.

The lift was never installed properly and made T-line's triples look like  high speed detachables. As stated above was not the best placement especially for beginners at the top and the bottom. So far, the quad has been more than able to handle the flow but your concern is well founded especially if the entire mountain were open on a prime weekend. The reality for Laurel is that another lift won't be forthcoming until that happens often enough to justify the expenditure and as you could guess a second lift would require more terrain be cover with snowmaking. I'd add more snowmaking before I added a lift. and as Swiss M following Swiss M's point, the next lift should be a beginner's conveyer.

One addition that has not been talked about but I would not be surprised to see is the creation of a small terrain park. That absence, more than a tubing hill, will hurt kid visits among the lucrative teen and tween market. That is something that can be done now, does not require wishing for the state or Bob to spend more money for improvement tomorrow. I know a terrain park may not be seen as an improvement for a lot of traditionalist but I suspect it will be the easiest/cheapest way to improve Laurel's bottom line.

camp
January 7, 2017
660 posts

........ nature reliant blue trails open. Twice that to get the rest of the black terrain, maybe 3 times that to get the lowest portion of the charlift line open....

Boy that's depressing. Hard to see that happening this season - just doesn't have the feel of a big winter yet. But I've certainly skied the trees at Blue Knob, so I know it can happen. I think it can, I think it can...........

A terrain park does make sense in the context you stated, a low hanging gimmee almost.

56fish
January 9, 2017
Member since 11/4/2011 🔗
73 posts

I know a terrain park may not be seen as an improvement for a lot of traditionalist but I suspect it will be the easiest/cheapest way to improve Laurel's bottom line.

No doubt

imp - DCSki Supporter 
January 9, 2017
299 posts

How's life in the great north???

I would like to see some snow features, rolls whales and snowspines for a start. we did that in the old halfpipe and everyone loved it. if it ever snows the whole place is a terrain park.

imp

SwissMountain
January 10, 2017
68 posts

As with the beginner handle tow, I agree with LHC that you have many benefits when looking at the resort to the student.  Financialy its cheaper to have a tow than a carpet for sure and that should keep ticket prices lower.  Unfortunately, in todays business climat its important to serve todays client with a 2017 setup to make big strides towards a succesful resort outcome.  Its starts with the parking lot lights on the slopes they installed and goes all the way to a user friendly beginner set-up.  Lets face reality - its a feeder breeder resort and depends on its beginners.  It should and can be a cash flow set up for the resort.

Overall, I like the resort slopes - its fun I love the size and its surounding.  I can see why many kids will get bored very quickly.  Some of that might be not enough natural snow etc.  I rather like to see a discovery slope than a park since we talking about a family resort.  I am not against a terrain park (beginner entry level would be nice) but that means maintnance of the park, which means more staff, which again drives cost up for the operater.  I rather would like a natural discovery slope for kids and kids at heart.  You can use the contour of the mountain as many resort do this days.  The resort needs to stay lean when it comes to staff I truly understand that.  In the long run we as riders need a sustanible setup for the long run survival of the resort. 

January 10, 2017
2,038 posts

SwissMountain wrote:

As with the beginner handle tow, I agree with LHC that you have many benefits when looking at the resort to the student.  Financialy its cheaper to have a tow than a carpet for sure and that should keep ticket prices lower.  Unfortunately, in todays business climat its important to serve todays client with a 2017 setup to make big strides towards a succesful resort outcome.  Its starts with the parking lot lights on the slopes they installed and goes all the way to a user friendly beginner set-up.  Lets face reality - its a feeder breeder resort and depends on its beginners.  It should and can be a cash flow set up for the resort.

Overall, I like the resort slopes - its fun I love the size and its surounding.  I can see why many kids will get bored very quickly.  Some of that might be not enough natural snow etc.  I rather like to see a discovery slope than a park since we talking about a family resort.  I am not against a terrain park (beginner entry level would be nice) but that means maintnance of the park, which means more staff, which again drives cost up for the operater.  I rather would like a natural discovery slope for kids and kids at heart.  You can use the contour of the mountain as many resort do this days.  The resort needs to stay lean when it comes to staff I truly understand that.  In the long run we as riders need a sustanible setup for the long run survival of the resort. 

A good quote is worth repeating :~D. I couldn't agree with you more. An easy maintenance discovery slope that helps beginners move and learn on their skis would be a great asset. My kids loved the kids park, Santa's Beard, at Seven Springs and I appreciated the instructor that knew how to use the features when my kids took lessons. I really wasn't talking about a big park but as you said, something basic but I really don't spend time in the park. I just know the kids like it for the challenge.

That leads me to comment on another of your observation ",,,Some of that might be not enough natural snow etc." As imp said above, if it snows the whole place is a terrain park and as I said somewhere else, I'll leave it to your imagination as to what you might find between Dream Highway and Broadway.

I know this is from personal experience but when my teen son and his friend, who both live in The Alley or in The Spot when skiing the Springs, hardly bother with terrain parks at big resorts with good tree skiing and other expert terrain. Even when they go to Blue Knob they are bashing bumps and steeps on Extrovert or seeking core shots in the woods (he knows Dad will repair the bases, haha) If we ever get good natural coverage I think you might agree that while Laurel is primarily a breeders hill, it can also be a regional destination. Seven Springs marketing focus on Lower Wildcat's steep face and the lure of skiing a historic and rustic area seems to be built on making all three, through their Highland Ticket, as regional destination.  

There are a lot of skiers in the Mid Atlantic who would love to be able to ski New England but can't take the time to drive or afford to fly there for a weekend but if there is a little slice of it two or three hours away by car, now that might be worth a weekend. 

camp
January 10, 2017
660 posts

...There are a lot of skiers in the Mid Atlantic who would love to be able to ski New England but can't take the time to drive or afford to fly there for a weekend but if there is a little slice of it two or three hours away by car, now that might be worth a weekend. 

Right on there LHC. I always try to hit Blue Knob when it serves (for me) as a closer mini Mad River Glen when the natural is 100%. I'll try to get to Laurel on one of those days too.

hockeydave
January 16, 2017
780 posts
January 16, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Good report, although I do not believe the new chair is "high speed"!?!

January 16, 2017
2,038 posts

It is compared to T-line triples. :~D

January 16, 2017
1,576 posts

What I like about the  LM lift is they placed it on the steepest part of the mountain, thus getting the shortest lift length possible. I thought it moved at a good pace. Comparing it to the glacial pace of the Tline triples I assume is tongue in cheek.

January 16, 2017
2,038 posts

snowsmith wrote:

What I like about the  LM lift is they placed it on the steepest part of the mountain, thus getting the shortest lift length possible. I thought it moved at a good pace. Comparing it to the glacial pace of the Tline triples I assume is tongue in cheek.

Would I make fun of T-line's triples? 

The quad at Laurel is not a detachable quad but it will move as many people per hour as a detachable quad. What's that you say? No difference in hauling capacity between a fixed grip and a detachable? Is says so here:

http://www.epicski.com/a/ski-lift-capacity-detachable-vs-fixed-grip

Laurel is rated to move 2400 pph. In real time that is about a 6 minute ride to cover 760 vertical feet. 

January 17, 2017
1,576 posts

It was a quick ride to the top. I would note that when you get off, you need to get away from the chairlift quickly. It makes a quick turn and banged me in the back once. The unloading area may need a little adjustment.

what really bothers me is this weather pattern. It looks like cold air will not return until the following weekend. We're getting very little natural snow. The base is looking kind of thin. Hopefully this will not scare away 7s from renewing their lease. Where is Uhler when you need him.

SwissMountain
January 18, 2017 (edited January 18, 2017)
68 posts

For any fix grip lifts the unloading ramp has to be 15% or greater.  For loading areas the recommendate grade is 4% from the queue to the wait board, flat from the wait board to the load board.  LM needs to work on their loading area for sure.

ANSI B77.1 does have speed restrictions on various lift configurations.  For instance for skiers/boarders, the maximum lift speed for a fixed grip triple is 500fpm, and for a fixed grip quad, it is 450fpm.  There are many other factors but at the end a detachables are better for efficiency.  For example the loading becomes easier and more convinient for the guest.  When it comes to speed-up chairlifts - the faster you go the more electricity you use.  Modern lifts have control speed technology build in, which works based on occupancy level just like carpets.  As we know LM nor the other two resorts have modern lifts.  Having said that the Skytrack is still a great solution for a small resort but the operation and maintnace for the ramps and loading areas needs to be 99% right. 

January 23, 2017
1,580 posts

Laurel is the areas first casualty

A message from Chris...
Cheers Laurel Mountain Friends!

This Monday through Thursday, our slopes will be temporarily closed in order to preserve the terrain we currently have. Winter returns later this week with cold temps and some natural snow. We will aggressively make snow as soon as possible! There is plenty of winter in front of us!

Thanks for your support! And, a huge thank you to our Mountain Operations team for keeping our mountain in such great shape over this January thaw so we all could enjoy it!

See you on Friday!

January 24, 2017 (edited January 25, 2017)
2,038 posts

There is hope that things will turn. This from the Laurel Mountain X-C ski area on the Laurel Summit Road, a few hundred feet from the downhill area's stone gatehouse 0n 1/24/17 around 9:00 am: No wait, it's a live feed. (edit 1/25)

netcam.jpg

January 24, 2017
2,038 posts

I just noticed some specials on the Laurel Mountain page. Thursdays college students can get an all day 9a to 9p ticket for $30. There is entertainment in the Wildca Lounge and draft Rolling Rocks are $3.50. Rolling Rock beer was named after Rolling Rock Creek into witch Wildcat Creek feeds just a little downstream from the chairlift.

Rolling Rock... from the glass lined tanks of Old Latrobe we tender this premium beer for your enjoyment as a tribute to your good taste. It comes from the mountain springs to you '33'. Too bad it doesn't come from Old Latrobe anymore. Ligioner needs a brew pub. Wildcat Ale or Broadway, a great American Pils or Dream Stout no, no Hannes Austrian Pilsner. Maybe I should copy right? Man, so many great names in the Ligioner Valley. Fort Ligoner Pale Ale. French and Indian Pale Ale.

Also, Friday is Ladies Day, $53 gets you a lift ticket, a ski clinic and wine tatsting in the Lounge.

jimmy
January 24, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

HaHa RD LHC I just read on the internet yesterday that all the names for micro and craft brewed beers have officially been used.

hockeydave
January 24, 2017
780 posts

Weather Underground is predicting another 6-12 inches by Saturday night for the Laurel Highlands

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?