13 posts
7 users
4k+ views
ahpski
August 29, 2016
Member since 09/23/2015 🔗
11 posts

Hello Snowshoe tree skiers,

This is just a friendly reminder that we are entering the season of summer/fall trail work.  If anyone is out and about on the mountain for hiking, biking, etc, this is the time to bring your loppers and hand saws to do some trail work to improve the glade skiing on the mountain.  It is much appreciated by everyone to practice ethical glade pruning techniques - small diameter brush/limbs and deadfall only.  There is no need to cut down bigger mature trees or totally clear out any wooded areas.  You can do a lot with hand tools alone and the result can be huge.  Anything is better than nothing.  New glades are great, but it is totally fine to expand upon some of the gladed areas that currently exist.  Also, keep in mind that these practices are not necessarily "allowed" so be smart out there.  Cheers, see ya in the woods this season.

ahpski
October 11, 2016
11 posts

Bike season is done at Snowshoe so now is the time to get out and cut new glades/ski trails. Snowshoe seems to be supporting more glade skiing these days on their website so lets all help them out by building new areas!!!!   Have fun, be safe, see ya out there this year.

Bonzski
October 12, 2016
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

ahpski wrote:

Bike season is done at Snowshoe so now is the time to get out and cut new glades/ski trails. Snowshoe seems to be supporting more glade skiing these days on their website so lets all help them out by building new areas!!!!   Have fun, be safe, see ya out there this year.

Where do you have in mind?

ahpski
October 12, 2016
11 posts

Anywhere with enough pitch to be worth it.  Ive been focusing some efforts around soaring eagle lift...much more needed to be done though.  Grabhammer area is promising too. Ultimately, Id like to open up some of the area below Hootenany.....I know there must be some good terrain in there...possibly more cliff.  That would put you out on the access road that you then have to walk/pole to Ballhooter or soaring eagle lift.  Thoughts?

Bonzski
October 13, 2016
652 posts

All those sound interesting.  Finding routes without rock and large felled tree obsticals is challenging.

ahpski
October 16, 2016
11 posts

True.  The key is to find steep pitch areas that are relatively open to start with, then just clear out the deadfall and small twigs, branches, little pines, etc.  If its too big of tree fall to cut out with hand tools....pile stuff up and turn it into a roll over or jump.  There are lots of good areas to be worked on all over the mountain.  Get out yourself and spread the word.  Snowshoe has insane amounts of untapped potential.  

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
October 17, 2016
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

What is the attitude of Snowshoe management?  If it is what I think it is, it may be wise to take this discussion off line, or at least off a public forum.

Antoine
October 18, 2016
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

denis has a point... the reason they havent expanded is becasue of that damn salamander and yall are trampeling over its enviroment...

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
October 18, 2016
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

With all due respect, I have to register my objection to this practice.  Stick to the glades provided and avoid disrupting high-elevation habitats that are (or should be) protected.  

The Mid-Atlantic offers other options for tree skiing.

Woody

Bonzski
October 19, 2016
652 posts

I think what alpski is describing is very much in line with preservation. Maybe using the term trail conjured up wide swaths of removal and ground disturbane often done when resorts and volunteers get carried away? If so that's not the case.  Hand pruning a narrow path is maybe a better way to describe.  Besides if the Sally survived the slash and burn destruction by loggers 50+ yrs ago they must be more resilient than feared.

ahpski
October 22, 2016
11 posts

Snowshoe doesnt care what we talk about on forums like this, they have way more important items to deal with. Plus, they like the idea/concept of "hidden glades and secret stashes", just look around on their website.  As far as environmental impact goes, I promise that our impact with loppers and hand saws is far less than when the resort or trail work crews open up a new gladed area where they cut down mature trees and strip the ground.  Believe me, the salamanders are fine, the underbrush trimming practices we do are smart and ethical, and Snowshoe love it deep down.  Ill quit this forum, just to not rock the boat tho.  See yall out there.....hopefully with a saw in hand. Thanks for the backup bonzski.

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
October 23, 2016 (edited October 23, 2016)
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

well golly, that seemed abrupt.  I agree with you, Snowshoe has started doing a wierd nudge, nudge , wink, wink;  last year one of their promo videos, (30 faces of SS, or something) had employees who bragged about skiing aff trail despite the fact that we might lose our pass for doing the same, unless they know us, or we look experienced enough, etc.    It's a bit bi-polar and they should make up their minds.

As far as trail trimming I agree with OP, their is a difference between doing damage and easing access and passage.  ON THE OTHER HAND  .. it can be righfully argued that if it's easy and obvious idiots abound, and sometimes difficulty controls quality of the runs and filters out a lot of morons.

Personally as a moron I know this issue and can honestly say there are places I should be kept out of

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
October 24, 2016
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

I agree, I'd be more concerned that it is private land.  If Snowshoe wnats to promote true tree skiing then they should manage the angry beavers.  I think the salamanders will worry alot more about the infrastructure to support 250k (or whatever), skiers a year; however, I would be happy to read the alternative viewpoint. 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.