Farmers Almanac + August Fog
4 posts
3 users
2k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
August 4, 2016
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Not sure about everyone else but I'm ready for some cooler weather and ski season to start.  That said I was peeking at the Farmers Almanac and the folklore about foggy mornings in Aug = winter snowfalls.

Well, it's pretty foggy in Snowshoe today so here's to one big snowfall !!

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
August 4, 2016 (edited August 4, 2016)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

I sure hope so.  Here in San Francisco August is the month of fog, one even hears it called Fogust.  every night we go to sleep by the sound of foghorns.  This is our 3rd summer in SF and the first that has had more or less normal summer weather.  The fog clears sometime between 10-2 and returns in late afternoon.  Temperature seldom gets out of the 60s.  Meanwhile 25 miles away, on the other side of the Oakland Hills it is mid 90s to 100+.  No rain.  Our summer comes in Oct.  It is supposed to rain often and heavily here from Nov-March.  Last year the precip. stopped at the end of Feb.  same for Sierra snow.  Kirkwood got 450", vs. normal 600.  In 2014-15 the rain/snow never really turned on at all.  Heavenly got a season total of 73".  

Bottom line; I'm very happy to see a return to normal summer weather here and hope it means a return to normal winter as well.

Bonzski
August 4, 2016
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Blues, Brew and BBQ this weekend....it will be foggy Fri eve through Sunday.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
August 4, 2016
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Bonzski wrote:

Blues, Brew and BBQ this weekend....it will be foggy Fri eve through Sunday.

Have a few for me.  We are in Destin, FL until Sat - hot as hell here.  The gulf water was 86* and air was 91*.  Funny thing is we are staying in one of the properties that Intrawest just sold off.  

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.