teleman
July 13, 2016
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
July 14, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Very different failure from what happened at Timberline.  The foundation came away from the ground after several days of rain.

"On Sunday evening, July 10, 2016, Sunday River Resort's lift maintenance manager discovered that the foundation of the top terminal of the Spruce Peak Triple chairlift had become detached from the underlying ground.  The detachment caused the top terminal to be pulled downhill, which released tension on the haul rope and caused the rope and chairs to lower to the ground between some of the lift's towers."

Norsk
July 15, 2016
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts

I think that the question this raises is: with all the Borvig failures in the past several years (Sugarloaf, Timberline, Sunday River, plus a lift at Suicide Six which failed inspection last year), at what point do ski area insurers become unwilling to insure Borvig lift operations?  The causes of each accident may be different, but they are old lifts based on old designs and the manufacturer is out of business.  Yes any lift with proper engineering and inspection can be made safe, and for that reason I will be riding the Thunder chair at Timberline this winter without hestation, but at some point I would think that the insurance industry says that these are risks they just don't need to take.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
July 15, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Still quite a few Borvig lifts running in New England.

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/lifts/brandborvig.php

Interesting that the son of the founder of Borvig opened another ski lift company after Borvig closed down.  Partek only lasted as an independent company until 2005 when it was bought by Doppelmayr CTEC.  All of Borvig's patents are now owned by Doppelmayr CTEC.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.