Having a ball in Utah, April 2016
11 posts
6 users
3k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
April 2, 2016 (edited April 2, 2016)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

Very good conditions out here right now.  Gorgeous sun last few days after a snowy 2 or 3 weeks.

Subjects in photos are various friends.

Red Lens Line at Snowbird, 3/31, Bill from NM:

Mineral Basin, Snowbird UT 4/1/16;  Charlie and Jimmy from WV

Charlie, Adam, Jimmy and JimK

Bookends in Mineral Basin, 4/1, JohnL from VA

JohnL finishing Great Scott at Snowbird

Mary from Whitetail, PA ski patrol on Cirque Traverse at Snowbird

Red Lens Line again, but on 4/1, Adam from WV telemarking his way to glory!

Alta, UT 4/2/16, Brian from WY

Gunsight, Alta, Vince formerly from VA, now UT:

JohnL on same fantastic run:

View of Gunsight, one of Alta's classic lines.

Greeley Hill area of Alta, Brian from WV

My last run of the day on 4/2/16  was on High Rustler trail at Alta

Wish you were here!!!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 2, 2016 (edited April 2, 2016)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Great pics as always!

Glad I had a chance to say hello to the MidA folks who were at Alta on 4/2.  Certainly was good weather for a tailgate party in the Wildcat parking lot.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
April 3, 2016 (edited April 3, 2016)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Great pics!  Makes me jealous of conditions, scenery and youthful legs!

While you all are enjoying sun and fantastic conditions, the wind chill in Fairfax this morning was in low-mid teens, still in 30s at 1330!

Have fun, The Colonel

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 3, 2016
3,246 posts

Got a little too warm today.  Temps in the mid-50s at the base made it a day to stop early.  Still good fun on the upper mountain for those with the skills and energy.  My ski buddy finished off his ski day with a run from the top of High Rustler.  I opted to take a friend for a tour of Snowbird Center.  She's a beginner who only started coming with her husband a few years ago and hadn't ever seen a tram up close.

wgo
April 4, 2016
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Someday, I will get back out west...last trip for me was a solo trip before my first kid was born. Next season the kids will be 8 and 11 and they have gotten pretty proficient at skiing locally...maybe it is time.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 8, 2016
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

Someday, I will get back out west...last trip for me was a solo trip before my first kid was born. Next season the kids will be 8 and 11 and they have gotten pretty proficient at skiing locally...maybe it is time.

Worth planning a trip when both kids are 12 and under.  Might consider the Mountain Collective Pass while it's $1 for a kid.  Hard to say when the price will go up for the kids.  The list of possible destinations includes Alta/Snowbird.

eggraid
April 13, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Great pictures!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 15, 2016
3,246 posts

From the accounts I'm reading about the storm that started Thu night, I think Vince is going to have a very good time at Snowbird this weekend.  Storm totals will be in the 10-12 inch range at least.

JohnL
April 16, 2016
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

marzNC wrote:

From the accounts I'm reading about the storm that started Thu night, I think Vince is going to have a very good time at Snowbird this weekend.  Storm totals will be in the 10-12 inch range at least.

I think Vince is on the East Coast for the next month or so.

Base for Mother's Day weekend @Abay.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 17, 2016
3,246 posts

JohnL wrote:

marzNC wrote:

Oh yeah, forgot that Vince flew out of SLC after the early April meetup weekend.

Well, my ski buddy Bill is still at Alta so I'm sure he enjoyed the snow storm.  He's heading towards home (Albuquerque) after skiing on Closing Day, April 17.  I think it's the 3rd or 4th time he's stayed until then.

JohnL
April 17, 2016
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

marzNC wrote:

JohnL wrote:

marzNC wrote:

Oh yeah, forgot that Vince flew out of SLC after the early April meetup weekend.

Well, my ski buddy Bill is still at Alta so I'm sure he enjoyed the snow storm.  He's heading towards home (Albuquerque) after skiing on Closing Day, April 17.  I think it's the 3rd or 4th time he's stayed until then.

Bill needs to get a life and donate his previous life to me. ;)

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.